* RE: Fixing Priority
@ 2004-11-04 17:59 lrtaylor
From: lrtaylor @ 2004-11-04 17:59 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: laalit_seth, gcc-help

Lalit,

A process's priority is constantly changing based on its nice value and
how much CPU time it's had or how long it's been since it was given CPU
time.  It's how the scheduler decides what process to schedule next on
the CPU.  The longer the process hasn't had CPU time, the higher its
priority will become.  Once its priority gets high enough, the scheduler
will give it some CPU time.  The longer it has been running on the CPU,
the lower its priority will become, until it gets low enough for
something else to have a higher priority at which point it will get
moved off the CPU in favor of the other process.

Thanks,
Lyle