* elf or ecoff
@ 2001-01-04 10:29 Darrell Bellert
From: Darrell Bellert @ 2001-01-04 10:29 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: gcc-help

Can someone please explain the difference between an elf target and an
ecoff target, or point me to a site where this is explained?

Thanks!

* Re: elf or ecoff
@ 2001-01-04 11:22 ` Alexandre Oliva
From: Alexandre Oliva @ 2001-01-04 11:22 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Darrell Bellert; +Cc: gcc-help

On Jan  4, 2001, Darrell Bellert <dbellert@boulder.qms.com> wrote:

> Can someone please explain the difference between an elf target and an
> ecoff target, or point me to a site where this is explained?

Basically, ELF is a nice binary format, whereas ECOFF is an extension
of COFF, which is not as nice.  If you have the option, I'd recommend
ELF.

* Re: elf or ecoff
@ 2001-01-04 11:33   ` Jeff Sturm
From: Jeff Sturm @ 2001-01-04 11:33 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Alexandre Oliva; +Cc: Darrell Bellert, gcc-help

Alexandre Oliva wrote:

> On Jan  4, 2001, Darrell Bellert <dbellert@boulder.qms.com> wrote:
>
> > Can someone please explain the difference between an elf target and an
> > ecoff target, or point me to a site where this is explained?
>
> Basically, ELF is a nice binary format, whereas ECOFF is an extension
> of COFF, which is not as nice.  If you have the option, I'd recommend
> ELF.

ELF is much more modern and flexible, that is.  You can argue whether PIC is
nice or not...

I found John Levine's "Linkers & Loaders" a great text for this sort of stuff.
I don't know any online resources, however.

--
Jeff Sturm
jeff.sturm@commerceone.com

* Re: elf or ecoff
       [not found] <978635723.5931.ezmlm@gcc.gnu.org>
@ 2001-01-04 12:07 ` Michael Eager
From: Michael Eager @ 2001-01-04 12:07 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: dbellert; +Cc: gcc-help

> Subject: elf or ecoff
> Date: Thu, 04 Jan 2001 11:29:05 -0700
> From: Darrell Bellert <dbellert@boulder.qms.com>
> To: gcc-help@gcc.gnu.org
>
> Can someone please explain the difference between an elf target and an
> ecoff target, or point me to a site where this is explained?

COFF (Common Object File Format) and ELF (Extensible Linking Format)
are object file formats used by different operating systems.

COFF is older and was used in Unix SVR3.  It (or variants) is used by
several targets, suchs as i960.   ELF was developed for SVR4 and
is more widely used, including Solaris, Linux, and many others.
Documentation on ELF can be found at www.sco.org, or in the
System 4 ABI manual at libraries and bookstores.

--

Michael Eager
Senior Tools Developer	  Phone: (408) 328-8426