* problems building a crosscompiler
@ 2001-01-09  8:42 Michael Wisse
From: Michael Wisse @ 2001-01-09  8:42 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: gcc-help; +Cc: crossgcc

Hallo !

I try to build a crosscompiler for a LEGO-RCX (with Hitachi H8300
microcontroller).
with help of instructions from legOS.sourceforge.net.

I use suse linux 6.4 and downloaded binutils2.10.1 and
gcc2.95.2. Configuring and Building of binutils2.10.1 seemed to work
fine on my system with:

 ../binutils-2.10.1/configure --target=h8300-hitachi-hms
--prefix=/usr/local/crossgcc
--exec-prefix=/usr/local/crossgcc/h8300-hitachi-hms

I couldn't see any errors from the make process.

I configured gcc for hitachi8300 with following:

 ../gcc-2.95.2/configure --target=h8300-hitachi-hms
--prefix=/usr/local/crossgcc
--exec-prefix=/usr/local/crossgcc/h8300-hitachi-hms --with-newlib
--enable-target-optspace 2

" make -i cross LANGUAGES="c c++"  produces many warnings and errors:

./fixinc.sh: cd:
/usr/local/crossgcc/h8300-hitachi-hms/h8300-hitachi-hms/sys-inc
lude: Datei oder Verzeichnis nicht gefunden
.
.
.
../../gcc-2.95.2/gcc/libgcc2.c:2455: warning: large integer implicitly
truncated
 to unsigned type
../../gcc-2.95.2/gcc/libgcc2.c:2456: warning: large integer implicitly
truncated
 to unsigned type
.
.
.

../../../gcc-2.95.2/libiberty/cplus-dem.c:36: ctype.h: Datei oder
Verzeichnis ni
cht gefunden
../../../gcc-2.95.2/libiberty/cplus-dem.c:37: sys/types.h: Datei oder
Verzeichni
s nicht gefunden
../../../gcc-2.95.2/libiberty/cplus-dem.c:38: string.h: Datei oder
Verzeichnis n
icht gefunden
../../../gcc-2.95.2/libiberty/cplus-dem.c:39: stdio.h: Datei oder
Verzeichnis ni
cht gefunden
../../../gcc-2.95.2/libiberty/cplus-dem.c:42: stdlib.h: Datei oder
Verzeichnis n
icht gefunden

Probably the warnings can be ignored, but make doesn't find include
files. First line says, that an include directory can't be found.

Must I edit the Makefile to include a directory?
Didn't building of binutils worked correct, so that an include directory
is missing?

I don't know. I have no experiences with building a cross compiler and I
would be glad, if someone could give me an advice.

Best regards

Michael Wisse
Hochschule Harz
D-38855 Wernigerode

* RE: problems building a crosscompiler
@ 2001-01-11  3:11 David Korn
From: David Korn @ 2001-01-11  3:11 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 'Michael Wisse', Yves Rutschle
  Cc: 'gcc-help@gcc.gnu.org', 'crossgcc@sourceware.cygnus.com'

>Curios was, that I had to make the crosscompiler twice (without "make
>clean" in beetween), before the make process finished without errors.
>While the first run, there always (I did make and make clean sometimes
>to reproduce the error) was an error:
>gcc: Internal compiler error: program cc1 got fatal signal 11
>
>Has anyone an idea?

  It happens every now and again.  Most people believe it's a sign of
faulty memory or perhaps a dodgy hard drive read/write messing up your
swap space.  I used to get it quite a lot under cygwin, on two different
PCs, but it doesn't seem to happen so much these days, with newer versions
of the cygwin dll, so I'm not 100% sure that there may not be two different
problems going on.

  In any case, retrying the make usually works; sometimes it will just get
to the same point over and over and fail every time, in which case shutting
down and restarting your computer will usually get it to work next time.
I suspect some kind of race condition or uninitialized memory problem may
also exist but nobody's ever been able to track it down since it usually
disappears the moment you run make under the debugger.  So it isn't worth
worrying about very much.

      DaveK
--
The Boulder Pledge: "Under no circumstances will I ever purchase anything
offered to me as the result of an unsolicited email message. Nor will I

the system manager.

www.mimesweeper.com

* Re: problems building a crosscompiler
@ 2001-01-11  2:58 ` Michael Wisse
From: Michael Wisse @ 2001-01-11  2:58 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Yves Rutschle
  Cc: 'gcc-help@gcc.gnu.org', 'crossgcc@sourceware.cygnus.com'

Hallo Yves!

Yes it helped, thanks.

I was unsure, if I should build newlib, but it's not necessary.
Additionally I had to add --with-headers to gcc-configuration.
(Perhaps someone has the same problem again.)

Curios was, that I had to make the crosscompiler twice (without "make
clean" in beetween), before the make process finished without errors.
While the first run, there always (I did make and make clean sometimes
to reproduce the error) was an error:
gcc: Internal compiler error: program cc1 got fatal signal 11

Has anyone an idea?

Greetings to Scotland and best regards.

Michael Wisse

Hochschule Harz
Fachbereich Automatisierung und Informatik
D-38855 Wernigerode

@ 2001-01-09  8:51 Yves Rutschle
From: Yves Rutschle @ 2001-01-09  8:51 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 'Michael Wisse', 'gcc-help@gcc.gnu.org'