* Please Help !!
@ 2001-02-13  5:10 Sariyiannis Vassilis
From: Sariyiannis Vassilis @ 2001-02-13  5:10 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: gcc-help

Hi there,

We have a problem installing the GCC compiler version 2.95.2 in a TRU64
system (v.5.1a built 732). We previously installed this compiler on a v4.0d
without a problem using the same documented procedure, but with this version
we encounter the following problem when we try to 'make bootstrap'

cc  -DIN_GCC -DHAIFA    -g   -DHAVE_CONFIG_H  -o cc1 toplev.o version.o
tree.o p
rint-tree.o stor-layout.o fold-const.o  function.o stmt.o except.o expr.o
calls.
o expmed.o explow.o optabs.o  intl.o varasm.o rtl.o print-rtl.o rtlanal.o
emit-r
tl.o genrtl.o real.o  dbxout.o sdbout.o dwarfout.o dwarf2out.o xcoffout.o
bitmap
.o alias.o gcse.o  integrate.o jump.o cse.o loop.o unroll.o flow.o stupid.o
comb
ine.o varray.o  regclass.o regmove.o local-alloc.o global.o reload.o
reload1.o c
aller-save.o  insn-peep.o reorg.o haifa-sched.o final.o recog.o reg-stack.o
ins
n-opinit.o insn-recog.o insn-extract.o insn-output.o insn-emit.o lcm.o
profile.
o insn-attrtab.o alpha.o getpwd.o  convert.o  mbchar.o dyn-string.o
splay-tree.o
 graph.o sbitmap.o resource.o hash.o c-parse.o c-lang.o c-lex.o c-pragma.o
c-dec
l.o c-typeck.o c-convert.o  c-aux-info.o c-common.o c-iterate.o  obstack.o
 -lmld ../libiberty/libiberty.a
ld:
Unresolved:
ASM_FILE_START
*** Exit 1
Stop.
*** Exit 1
Stop.
*** Exit 1
Stop.

Please help if you can ...

* Re: Please Help !!
@ 2001-02-13  5:34 ` Jeff Sturm
From: Jeff Sturm @ 2001-02-13  5:34 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Sariyiannis Vassilis; +Cc: gcc-help

Sariyiannis Vassilis wrote:
> We have a problem installing the GCC compiler version 2.95.2 in a TRU64
> system (v.5.1a built 732). We previously installed this compiler on a v4.0d
> without a problem using the same documented procedure, but with this version
> we encounter the following problem when we try to 'make bootstrap'

This is a known problem.  GCC 2.95.2 does not support Tru64 5.x.  You can
continue to use it with 4.x.  The upcoming GCC 3.0 release will support 5.x.

--
Jeff Sturm
jeff.sturm@commerceone.com

* Re: PLEASE HELP!!!
@ 2009-01-16 11:24 ` Kai Ruottu
From: Kai Ruottu @ 2009-01-16 11:24 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Lang, Georg M (Georg); +Cc: gcc-help

Lang, Georg M (Georg) wrote:

> I am trying to install GCC4.3.2 on a Sun machine running Solaris 9.  I
> have installed the recommended gmp-4.2.4 and mpfr-2.3.2 downloads.  This
 > is my configure command, which completes without any errors:
>
> ./../src/gcc-4.3.2/configure --prefix=/build/ndbadm/gnu
> --with-local-prefix=/build/ndbadm/gnu --with-gnu-as=/usr/gnu/bin/as
> --with-gnu-ld=/usr/gnu/bin/ld --enable-languages=c,c++ --disable-nls
> --disable-libgcj --with-gmp=/build/ndbadm/gnu
> --with-mpfr=/build/ndbadm/gnu LDFLAGS="-L/build/ndbadm/gnu/lib -Xlinker
> -R/build/ndbadm/gnu/lib -L/usr/gnu/lib"
>
> I am using an old verson of gcc and gnu make (I believe 2.8.1) to do the
> compiling.  I am always getting errors when building in the libcc directory.

Probably in 'libgcc'...

 > It is running some test builds (I presume) on a conftest.c file.
 > Here is the error:
>
> -------
> /build/ndbadm/gnu/obj/gcc-4.3.2/./gcc/xgcc
> -B/build/ndbadm/gnu/obj/gcc-4.3.2/./gcc/
 > -B/build/ndbadm/gnu/sparc-sun-solaris2.9/bin/
> -B/build/ndbadm/gnu/sparc-sun-solaris2.9/lib/
 > -isystem /build/ndbadm/gnu/sparc-sun-solaris2.9/include
 > -isystem /build/ndbadm/gnu/sparc-sun-solaris2.9/sys-include
 > -m64 -o conftest -g -L/build/ndbadm/gnu/lib conftest.c >&5
>
> Assembler messages:
> Error: invalid architecture -xarch=v9
> -------

Your GNU 'as' seems also being "old".  Your GCC then is "very old", over
10 years old! The gcc-2.95 was from 1999 so I would guess gcc-2.8.1
being from 1996...

An old "for 32-bit" 'as' maybe doesn't grok 64-bit ('sparcv9') at all :(

> I also try to compile the conftest.c manually without the "-m64" option
> and I get:
>
> -------
>  /build/ndbadm/gnu/obj/gcc-4.3.2/./gcc/collect2 -V -Y
> P,/usr/ccs/lib:/usr/lib -Qy -o conftest crt1.o crti.o
> /usr/ccs/lib/values-Xa.o crtbegin.o -L/build/ndbadm/gnu/lib
> -L/usr/gnu/lib/gcc-lib/sparc-sun-solaris2.6/2.8.1/
> -L/usr/gnu/lib/gcc-lib -L/usr/gnu/lib/gcc-lib/sparc-sun-solaris2.6/
> -L/build/ndbadm/gnu/obj/gcc-4.3.2/./gcc -L/usr/ccs/lib
> /var/tmp//ccrPxiwg.o -lgcc -lgcc_eh -lc -lgcc -lgcc_eh -lc crtend.o
> crtn.o
> ld: fatal: file crt1.o: open failed: No such file or directory
> collect2: ld returned 1 exit status
> -------

Furthermore your current GCC doesn't seem to be for Solaris2.9 but for
Solaris2.6 !

> I see that I have a "crt1.o" in a directory where my old gcc resides.
> But I have no clue how to point to it.

Your old GCC of course should find it automatically when compiling
"normally"... Here the just produced 'crt1.o' and 'crti.o', for
gcc-4.3.2, are tried to be used not the gcc-2.8.1 ones!

> I would GREATLY appreciate someone's time in helping me get gcc to
> compile.

In your case I would forget using the old gcc-2.8.1 for Solaris2.6
and behave as if there were no GCCs in the build system. When this
being the case, the normal steps then would be :

1. connect to the 'http://www.sunfreeware.com'

2. download the latest GNU binutils (2.17) and GCC (gcc-3.4.6) for
    Sparc/Solaris2.9

3. install them with the help of the provided instructions

4. test that the pre-made binutils/GCC toolchain works by compiling
    simple apps like "Hello World"

5. try the gcc-4.3.2 update again with the downloaded binutils/GCC

All this because it most probably being the most easy way and not
requiring much help from others... The alternative steps probably
being :

1. update the GNU binutils

2. update the gcc-2.8.1 to some gcc-3.x version

OR maybe the order should be vice versa, "too new" binutils maybe
not working any more with gcc-2.8.1 :(  One doesn't know before one
tries...

3. use the updated binutils/GCC to compile gcc-4.3.2

It is hard to say what could be the right steps for your "update once
in 13 years" idea. Usually tools will be updated more often...

In both cases you also should install the 64-bit 'sparcv9' libraries
from their SUNW-packages. OR decide to produce a 32-bit-only GCC via
using '--disable-multilib' in the GCC configure.

* PLEASE HELP!!!
@ 2009-01-16  0:03 Lang, Georg M (Georg)
From: Lang, Georg M (Georg) @ 2009-01-16  0:03 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: gcc-help

I am trying to install GCC4.3.2 on a Sun machine running Solaris 9.  I
have installed the
recommended gmp-4.2.4 and mpfr-2.3.2 downloads.  This is my configure
command, which completes
without any errors:

../../src/gcc-4.3.2/configure --prefix=/build/ndbadm/gnu
--with-local-prefix=/build/ndbadm/gnu --with-gnu-as=/usr/gnu/bin/as
--with-gnu-ld=/usr/gnu/bin/ld --enable-languages=c,c++ --disable-nls
--disable-libgcj --with-gmp=/build/ndbadm/gnu
--with-mpfr=/build/ndbadm/gnu LDFLAGS="-L/build/ndbadm/gnu/lib -Xlinker
-R/build/ndbadm/gnu/lib -L/usr/gnu/lib"

I am using an old verson of gcc and gnu make (I believe 2.8.1) to do the
compiling.  I am always getting
errors when building in the libcc directory.  It is running some test
[...]

THANK YOU SO MUCH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Georg

* Re: PLEASE HELP!!
@ 2005-07-28  0:11     ` Christopher Faylor
From: Christopher Faylor @ 2005-07-28  0:11 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Dave Murphy, louise kelliher, Eljay Love-Jensen, gcc-help

On Wed, Jul 27, 2005 at 02:56:05PM +0100, Dave Murphy wrote:
>Eljay Love-Jensen wrote:
>>Hi Louise,
>>
>>My suggestion is to go to Cygwin (www.cygwin.com), download setup.exe (I
>
>I *really* wouldn't recommend that approach to a beginner at all.
>
>cygwin has been known to cause premature baldness in seasoned
>developers.

This is an entirely non-useful statement.  If you have something that
you like better, feel free to recommend it without denigrating cygwin.

cgf

>try this instead
>
>http://www.bloodshed.net/
>
>See also http://www.mingw.org/

* Re: PLEASE HELP!!
@ 2005-07-27 13:56   ` Dave Murphy
From: Dave Murphy @ 2005-07-27 13:56 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Eljay Love-Jensen; +Cc: louise kelliher, gcc-help

Eljay Love-Jensen wrote:

>Hi Louise,
>
>My suggestion is to go to Cygwin (www.cygwin.com), download setup.exe (I

I *really* wouldn't recommend that approach to a beginner at all.

cygwin has been known to cause premature baldness in seasoned developers.

try this instead

http://www.bloodshed.net/

See also http://www.mingw.org/

Dave

* Re: PLEASE HELP!!
@ 2005-07-27 13:44 ` random
From: random @ 2005-07-27 13:44 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: louise kelliher; +Cc: gcc-help

louise kelliher wrote:

> Hiya, im wondering if you could help me, Im at my wits end and need to
> cover c programming before I start a foundation internet technology
> course in September. I have been trying for 2 weeks and cant get past
> the first page. Please could you tell me how to download gcc -v on a
> windows xp computer. I found a list but none of them said
> MinGW-1.1.tar.gz and now I think Ive downloaded the wrong one as it
> wont work, and also I dont know how to create a directory. Please help
> me. Thanks for your time. Louise Kelliher

Go to www.mingw.org/download.shtml and scroll down (or search for)
MinGW-4.1.1.exe (yes, it is a little well hidden, it's in the "current"
section of the huge bunch of downloads).

Download it, select the default option for everything it asks you (you
can change the install directory if you like. I'd seriously advise
installing it to something like c:\mingw or d:\mingw however, don't put
it in a directory with spaces unless you like pain :)

It will then go away and download a further 45MB or so, and finish

Now pop open a command prompt and type "c:\mingw\bin\g++ -v" (changing
c:\mingw for wherever you installed it) and a bunch of stuff should
appear, ending in "gcc version 3.4.2 (mingw-special)"

You could also do it via Cygwin. I would seriously not advise
downloading all of cygwin however! Instead just get the programs you
want (you want gcc, it is in the devel section. You may also want make
and and other programs your guide references). A full cygwin download is
I believe about 1GB now, and installing it takes about 2GB (of course,
if you have a big broadband connection and hard drive space to burn,
feel free :)

Chris

* Re: PLEASE HELP!!
@ 2005-07-27 13:26 ` Eljay Love-Jensen
From: Eljay Love-Jensen @ 2005-07-27 13:26 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: louise kelliher, gcc-help

Hi Louise,

My suggestion is to go to Cygwin (www.cygwin.com), download setup.exe (I
usually save it to a file called CYGsetup.exe), run it, click Next through
to the packages page, change the top level "All" package from "Default" to
"Install", click Next, get a nice hot cup of tea, watch a movie, read the
paper, check the progress, watch another movie, come back, exclaim "At last,
it's done!", and then run the Cygwin bash shell, type 'gcc --version' and
say "GCC is working!  Yippee!"

Make sure you have a lot of hard drive space, a good internet connection,
patience, and time.

HTH,
--Eljay

* PLEASE HELP!!
@ 2005-07-27 13:19 louise kelliher
From: louise kelliher @ 2005-07-27 13:19 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: gcc-help

Hiya, im wondering if you could help me, Im at my wits end and need to cover
c programming before I start a foundation internet technology course in
September. I have been trying for 2 weeks and cant get past the first page.
Please could you tell me how to download gcc -v on a windows xp computer. I
found a list but none of them said MinGW-1.1.tar.gz and now I think Ive
downloaded the wrong one as it wont work, and also I dont know how to create
a directory. Please help me. Thanks for your time. Louise Kelliher

* Re: PLEASE HELP!
@ 2005-05-03 14:19 ` Ian Lance Taylor
From: Ian Lance Taylor @ 2005-05-03 14:19 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: R Lokesh babu; +Cc: gcc-help, gcc

R Lokesh babu <rlokesh_babu@yahoo.com> writes:

> My application (COMMERCIAL SOFTWARE) links to
> libstdc++, By default Solaris OS
> does not install the libstdc++ package
> (libgcc-3.3-sol9-sparc-local.gz).
> Can I re-distribute the lib-gcc package and install it
> along with my application
> installation. (Is it a violation of GPL?) :)
> Or should my Installation validate and ask the user to
> install lib-gcc himself
> and re-run the installation.? :(

There is plenty of COMMERCIAL SOFTWARE which is distributed under the
GPL.  I assume that you mean that your application is proprietary, in
that you are distributing a binary without distributing the source
code.

First, I'll note that libstdc++-v3 is under a GPL+exception license.
Building objects using libstdc++-v3 header files, and linking them
into an executable with the libstdc++-v3 library, does not by itself
cause the binary to be covered by the GPL.

Now, to answer your question, you may distribute libstdc++-v3 itself.
However, that distribution is covered by the GPL, and if you
distribute it in binary form, you must also distribute the source
code, or otherwise make it available as described in the GPL.

Finally, I'll note that while I believe that the above is correct,
relying on mailing lists for legal advice is foolish.

Ian

* PLEASE HELP!
@ 2005-05-03 13:58 R Lokesh babu
From: R Lokesh babu @ 2005-05-03 13:58 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: gcc-help; +Cc: gcc, gcc

Hello,
My application (COMMERCIAL SOFTWARE) links to
libstdc++, By default Solaris OS
does not install the libstdc++ package
(libgcc-3.3-sol9-sparc-local.gz).
Can I re-distribute the lib-gcc package and install it
along with my application
installation. (Is it a violation of GPL?) :)
Or should my Installation validate and ask the user to
install lib-gcc himself
and re-run the installation.? :(
Please clarify.
Thanks

http://mail.yahoo.com

* Please Help!
@ 2003-06-06  8:49 Nigel Murphy
From: Nigel Murphy @ 2003-06-06  8:49 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: gcc-help

 I'm currently designing a embedded system using an STPC (80486) processor,
and would like to use GCC for my main compiler. Problem, I have a boot
loader for the STPC, i.e. I can boot the system and call the address of my
main program (10000h currenlty). This works fine, and is code developed by
ST themselves. I've tested it by writing some low level to flash an
LED/drive an LED display. So I know I can boot the system.
 Next I treid to get GCC to output code for the embedded target. This was
not to succesfull. I wrote a memory script and basic CRT0.s, although I'm
not completely sure what to do in the C Run Time Enviroment. I know that I
must set the stack pointer, clear the BSS section and call 'main', this
I've done, but what about DS/ES/FS/GS segment registers for the 80x86, what
should I set these to before calling main? Theres probably a load of other
important things I've missed! Do I have to enable interupts? What else does
the main C code require before I call it?

 The basic C code I've written compiles fine, I have no problems with GCC
itself, just require a better understanding of what should be in my C run
time enviroment. I've trawled the web, but can't find a good example for
use with GCC.

 I'm Currently running redhat 7.2 , with gcc installed (Not sure what
version as I'm currently booted in Winslow XP)

 Ta. Nigel.