* where are build instructions?
@ 2002-03-26 15:46 rhys tucker
From: rhys tucker @ 2002-03-26 15:46 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: gcc-help

[-- Attachment #1: Type: text/plain; charset=us-ascii, Size: 592 bytes --]

gcc_help,

I want to install a recent version of gcc to my
machine. My machine is running redhat 7.1 with the gcc
redhat updates to redhat 7.1 installed. I have
compiled gcc on an earlier systems.

I want to install 3.04, but have had some trouble
finding install instructions that I can follow. Are
there straightforward instructions available?

thanks fo ryour help.

regards,

Rhys

=====
Visit my website at http://www.rhystucker.fsnet.co.uk

http://movies.yahoo.com/

* Re: where are build instructions?
@ 2002-03-27  3:41 ` bjorn rohde jensen
From: bjorn rohde jensen @ 2002-03-27  3:41 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: gcc-help

Hi Rhys,

 The guide at http://gcc.gnu.org/install/ is pretty good
in my opinion. I learnt to build gcc from that. You should
have no problems at all building gcc with gcc on linux.

Yours sincerely,

bjorn

* pedantic Wall
@ 2002-10-18  5:27   ` John Love-Jensen
From: John Love-Jensen @ 2002-10-18  5:27 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: gcc-help

Hi everybody,

I expect to see two warnings and/or errors for the following code:

g++ -c -pedantic -Wall foo.cpp
---foo.cpp---
enum Foo { kBar = ~0LL; };
enum Baz { kQuux = ~0L; };
---eof---

GCC 3.2 20020818 (prerelease) complains about line one "ISO C89 forbids long
long integer constants".  Complains, but does the "forbidden" thing... doing
what I asked for, regardless of ISO C89.

I was expecting to see a warning about using a long int in line two.  As per
C++PL by Stroustrup, section 4.8.

MY QUESTION...
Am I to take it that if sizeof(int) == sizeof(long), then everything is
a-okay for the long int enum values?

On the platform I'm compiling on, Cygwin for WinNT, sizeof(int) ==
sizeof(long) == 4.

Ahh, I remember back when I used SAS/C++ 6.56 (Amiga), where one could use
the language extension (more-or-less, I may have gotten the syntax jumbled)
for explicit enum storage sizes:
char enum Fred { kBarney = 'x'; };

Thanks,
--Eljay