* recursion ok?
@ 2002-07-23 16:17 danny
       [not found] ` <20020723234749.GD15815@satyr.sylvan.com>
       [not found] ` <15678.6772.539810.19058@tooth.toronto.redhat.com>
From: danny @ 2002-07-23 16:17 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: gcc gnu

Hey Now Gcc People,

I'm writing a recursive function and i'm getting this error when
linking.

xxx.cpp(.eh_frame+0x11): undefined reference to '__gxx_personality_v0'

If I leave out the line of code that calls itself the function works and
links
fine.

Any idea what's the matter? Is there some linking param I should know
about? I'm going to try and right the old factorial as a test to c if
that will link ok.

Well this is the second time I e-mailed this. The first time I got no
response. I'm not sure weather my email got lost or if no one ever saw
this before.
:-)  :-)

Thanks
  Danny

* Re: recursion ok?
       [not found] ` <20020723234749.GD15815@satyr.sylvan.com>
@ 2002-07-23 18:32   ` danny
From: danny @ 2002-07-23 18:32 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Kayvan A. Sylvan, gcc gnu

Hey Now Gcc people,

Below is the code I was talking about. It's about 2 pages.. U will c an area That
I put a bunch of comment stars around. This is the line of called calling the
recursion. When this line is commented out my program compiles and links fine.
When I comment it in, the linker errors out.

 xxx.cpp(.eh_frame+0x11): undefined reference to '__gxx_personality_v0'

Thanks for looking at this.
:-)  :-)

Danny

"Kayvan A. Sylvan" wrote:

> On Tue, Jul 23, 2002 at 03:56:38PM -0700, danny wrote:
> > Hey Now Gcc People,
> >
> > I'm writing a recursive function and i'm getting this error when
> > linking.
> >
> > xxx.cpp(.eh_frame+0x11): undefined reference to '__gxx_personality_v0'
> >
> > If I leave out the line of code that calls itself the function works and
> > links
> > fine.
> >
> > Any idea what's the matter? Is there some linking param I should know
> > about? I'm going to try and right the old factorial as a test to c if
> > that will link ok.
> >
> > Well this is the second time I e-mailed this. The first time I got no
> > response. I'm not sure weather my email got lost or if no one ever saw
> > this before.
> > :-)  :-)
> >

> Never seen this before. Can you send an example?
>
> --
> Kayvan A. Sylvan          | Proud husband of       | Father to my kids:
> Sylvan Associates, Inc.   | Laura Isabella Sylvan  | Katherine Yelena (8/8/89)
> http://sylvan.com/~kayvan | "crown of her husband" | Robin Gregory (2/28/92)

* Re: recursion ok?
       [not found] ` <15678.6772.539810.19058@tooth.toronto.redhat.com>
@ 2002-07-24  0:19   ` danny
       [not found]     ` <15678.36634.964840.896604@tooth.toronto.redhat.com>
From: danny @ 2002-07-24  0:19 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Ben Elliston, gcc gnu

Hi Ben,

I believe I am using gcc. Below is a copy of my make file.

Thanks
  Danny

my make file:

# Define these macros to match with your project's filenames TARGET = esucker
OBJS = esucker.o
LIBS = -lm
CPP = gcc
CPPFLAGS = -Wall -g -DDEBUG

.SUFFIXES: .cpp

$(TARGET): $(OBJS)
 $(CPP) $(CPPFLAGS) -o $@ $(OBJS) $(LIBS)

# `make clean' removes extra files that crop up during development clean:
 rm $(OBJS)

.cpp.o:
 $(CPP) $(CPPFLAGS) -c $<

Ben Elliston wrote:

>   danny> xxx.cpp(.eh_frame+0x11): undefined reference to '__gxx_personality_v0'
>
> Are you compiling xxx.cpp with g++?
>
> Ben

* Re: recursion ok?
@ 2002-07-24  2:30     ` Claudio Bley
       [not found]     ` <15678.36634.964840.896604@tooth.toronto.redhat.com>
From: Claudio Bley @ 2002-07-24  2:30 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: danny; +Cc: gcc gnu

    danny> Hi Ben, I believe I am using gcc. Below is a copy of my
    danny> make file.

    danny> Thanks Danny

    danny> my make file:

    danny> # Define these macros to match with your project's
    danny> filenames TARGET = esucker OBJS = esucker.o LIBS = -lm CPP
    danny> = gcc CPPFLAGS = -Wall -g -DDEBUG

You should use CXX=g++ and CXXFLAGS instead of CPP* because usually
CPP in this context stands for C Pre Processor - and you should compile
your C++ files with g++ rather than gcc anyway.

Claudio

* Re: recursion ok?
       [not found]     ` <15678.36634.964840.896604@tooth.toronto.redhat.com>
@ 2002-07-24  9:33       ` danny
       [not found]         ` <15679.1489.371964.964916@tooth.toronto.redhat.com>
From: danny @ 2002-07-24  9:33 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Ben Elliston, gcc gnu

Hey Ben,

Sorry for being such a newbie. I'm used to borland and I'm just learning
make files. I'm also confused. What is the difference between gcc, g++,
and cc?

Here is my make file. How would u change it?

Hey thanks. I think I might be asking to much here. If so please let me
know.
:-)  :-)

Peace

Thanks
  Danny

Ben Elliston wrote:

>   danny> I believe I am using gcc. Below is a copy of my make file.
>
> You should always compile C++ programs with `g++'.
>
> Ben

* Re: recursion ok?
       [not found]         ` <15679.1489.371964.964916@tooth.toronto.redhat.com>
@ 2002-07-24 20:20           ` danny
From: danny @ 2002-07-24 20:20 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Ben Elliston, gcc gnu

Hey Now Gcc people,

Well g++ fixed it. My program's recursive routine is now working. I wonder why gcc
has a problem w/ recursion. Any ideas?

Anyway I have a new problem. My function traverses the directory tree of my linux
box. I coded it to discard symbolic links w/ the stat function. It also let's me know
if a file is a directory or not. It appears to do that most of the time this works
until it comes to the .gnome/destop/home directory symbolic link. Then it switches to
it instead of discarding it. Any ideas why it is doing this?

Thanks
  Danny

Ben Elliston wrote:

>   danny> Sorry for being such a newbie. I'm used to borland and I'm just learning
>   danny> make files. I'm also confused. What is the difference between gcc, g++,
>   danny> and cc?
>
> gcc is the front-end to the C compiler. g++ is the front-end to the
> C++ compiler.  You must use g++ when building C++ source, as the
> compiler driver passes different options to the preprocessor, compiler
> and linker.
>
> cc is the C compiler on most Unix systems.  On Linux systems, it's
> just a link I believe to gcc to be similar to older systems.
>
>   danny> Here is my make file. How would u change it?
>
>   danny> CPP = gcc
>
> Change this to g++ and you should be right.
>
> Ben

* Re: recursion ok?
       [not found]         ` <15679.1489.371964.964916@tooth.toronto.redhat.com>
@ 2002-07-25  8:51         ` Andrea 'Fyre Wyzard' Bocci
From: Andrea 'Fyre Wyzard' Bocci @ 2002-07-25  8:51 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: danny, Ben Elliston, gcc gnu

* Re: recursion ok?
@ 2002-07-27  9:58           ` danny
From: danny @ 2002-07-27  9:58 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: gcc gnu

Hey it's the newbie again,

Well I'm by my recursion problem. g++ fixed it. Thank you all.

I gota tell u I still do not understand why gcc appears to like everything else
but recursion. But I'm not complaining.

Peace

Andrea 'Fyre Wyzard' Bocci wrote:

* recursion ok?
@ 2002-07-22 20:35 danny
From: danny @ 2002-07-22 20:35 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: gcc gnu

Hey Now Gcc People,

I'm writing a recursive function and i'm getting this error when
linking.

xxx.cpp(.eh_frame+0x11): undefined reference to '__gxx_personality_v0'

If I leave out the line that calls itself the function works and links
fine.

Any idea what's the matter?

Thanks
  Danny