* gcc option -fvtable-gc missed
@ 2004-11-22  9:43 Martin Kaul
From: Martin Kaul @ 2004-11-22  9:43 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: gcc-help

Hi,

I want to use the GCC for developing an embedded system.

Searched for gcc and smart linking I found the gcc options
-ffunction-sections -fdata-sections -fvtable-gc and the ld options
--gc-sections. The description of these options are exactly what I want
(avoid the linking of unused functions and methods).

Now, when using gcc 3.4.2 it seems that the option -fvtable-gc is no
longer supported. With the gcc 3.3.4 this option is supported.

What was the reason to remove this option? The background is that I plan
to downgrade to gcc 3.3.4 (or patch this option back to 3.4.2) when the
reason don't affect my plattform. My target is sh-elf.

regards
   Martin Kaul

* Re: gcc option -fvtable-gc missed
@ 2004-11-22 15:20 ` Nathan Sidwell
From: Nathan Sidwell @ 2004-11-22 15:20 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Martin Kaul; +Cc: gcc-help

Martin Kaul wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I want to use the GCC for developing an embedded system.
>
> Searched for gcc and smart linking I found the gcc options
> -ffunction-sections -fdata-sections -fvtable-gc and the ld options
> --gc-sections. The description of these options are exactly what I want
> (avoid the linking of unused functions and methods).
>
> Now, when using gcc 3.4.2 it seems that the option -fvtable-gc is no
> longer supported. With the gcc 3.3.4 this option is supported.
My recollection is that it was taken out of 3.4, as it has failed
to do anything since at least 3.0.  It was not possible to make it function
without significant work.

> What was the reason to remove this option? The background is that I plan
> to downgrade to gcc 3.3.4 (or patch this option back to 3.4.2) when the
> reason don't affect my plattform. My target is sh-elf.

Before you decide, convince yourself that -fvtable-gc does something useful
on 3.3

nathan