* GCC Assembler Question
@ 2004-11-22 15:33 Desiree Kraus
From: Desiree Kraus @ 2004-11-22 15:33 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: gcc-help

Hello,

I'm working on my master thesis in computer science and was searching
for an overview over the instruction set of gcc 3.3.4. I want to analyse
some assembler code that is generated with the gcc -S and g++ -S option,
but I couldn't find a list with the meaning of the instructions. Can you
help me an tell me where to find something like this?

Thanks,
Desiree

* Re: GCC Assembler Question
@ 2004-11-22 15:43 ` Brian Rose
From: Brian Rose @ 2004-11-22 15:43 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Desiree Kraus; +Cc: gcc-help

Desiree Kraus wrote:

> Hello,
>
> I'm working on my master thesis in computer science and was searching
> for an overview over the instruction set of gcc 3.3.4. I want to analyse
> some assembler code that is generated with the gcc -S and g++ -S option,
> but I couldn't find a list with the meaning of the instructions. Can you
> help me an tell me where to find something like this?
>
> Thanks,
> Desiree

That depends on the target. For x86, you probably need to track down an
instruction set manual for an x86 processor. Many companies (intel, AMD,
Via) produce x86 processors, so they probably have some programmers manuals
buried in their developers sections somewhere.

--

Brian