* command line help
@ 2004-12-08 18:20 tinettim
From: tinettim @ 2004-12-08 18:20 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: gcc-help

At the command line I can type help to get a list of topics but they scroll
of the screen so I can't see them all and I can't find their explanations
on your web site. What command do I use to get it to compile? Source? What
directory should I be in when I compile and what subdirectories should I
have.

Mick Tinetti
586 825-4804
tinettim@gdls.com

* Re: command line help
@ 2004-12-08 18:49 ` Brian Rose
From: Brian Rose @ 2004-12-08 18:49 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: gcc-help

tinettim@gdls.com wrote:

> At the command line I can type help to get a list of topics but they scroll
> of the screen so I can't see them all and I can't find their explanations
> on your web site. What command do I use to get it to compile? Source? What
> directory should I be in when I compile and what subdirectories should I
> have.

gcc --help | more

Simple C program in hello.c would be compiled into an executable called
'program' like this....

gcc -o program hello.c

--

Brian

* RE: command line help
@ 2004-12-08 18:56 lrtaylor
From: lrtaylor @ 2004-12-08 18:56 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: gcc-help

If you're on Linux or some flavor of UNIX, you might also try looking at
the man page.

	man gcc

Or take a look at the online documentation for GCC.  Go to
http://gcc.gnu.org/ and click on the Manual link under Documentation in
the menu on the left.

You might also seriously consider going to a local bookstore and getting
a book about software development on Linux or something similar.
Another poster on the list has even written an introductory book about
using GCC.  You might take a look at that:

http://www.network-theory.co.uk/gcc/intro/

Thanks,
Lyle