* writting machine description for Mono
@ 2006-06-02 17:04 Wang,Yi
From: Wang,Yi @ 2006-06-02 17:04 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: gcc-help

Hi all:

 I am working on a backend that generates CIL code. I have the option
to generate CIL from GENERIC or RTL. It seems better to generate the
code from RTL since the backend would fit in to GCC's structure nicely
-- Mono/.NET is just another target machine. Is it possible (or say,
difficult) to write a machine description for the stack based
.NET/Mono architecture since all other targets in GCC are register
based.

Thanks

--
Yi Wang

* Re: writting machine description for Mono
@ 2006-06-02 20:53 ` Daniel Berlin
From: Daniel Berlin @ 2006-06-02 20:53 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: netantz; +Cc: gcc-help

Wang,Yi wrote:
> Hi all:
>

>  I am working on a backend that generates CIL code. I have the option
> to generate CIL from GENERIC or RTL. It seems better to generate the
> code from RTL since the backend would fit in to GCC's structure nicely
> -- Mono/.NET is just another target machine.

Except you are going to lose all type information if you use RTL, if
that matters.

Why would you want to generate CIL from "GENERIC" instead of "GIMPLE".