* LOTS of failures when making check for gfortran--is it  Ok?
@ 2006-06-23  9:10 sean yang
From: sean yang @ 2006-06-23  9:10 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: gcc-help; +Cc: fortran

I successfully compile a GCC4.0.2 with Fortran front end. I tried to use it
to compile some fortran programs, so far all of them work fine.

But the make check gave lots of failure. Is it tolerable to have thousands
of failure?

objgcc-4.0.2>make -k check 1>record.tmp
objgcc-4.0.2>cat record.tmp

    71         === gcc Summary ===
     72
     73 # of expected passes        35255
     74 # of unexpected successes   1
     75 # of expected failures      94
     76 # of untested testcases     28
     77 # of unsupported tests      328

  4579         === gfortran Summary ===
   4580
   4581 # of expected passes        46
   4582 # of unexpected failures    4475
   4583 # of expected failures      1
   4584 # of unresolved testcases   2
   4585 # of untested testcases     1527
   4679
   4680         === libmudflap Summary ===
   4681
   4682 # of expected passes        1212
   4683 # of unexpected failures    48

* Re: LOTS of failures when making check for gfortran--is it  Ok?
@ 2006-06-23  9:14 ` Andrew Haley
From: Andrew Haley @ 2006-06-23  9:14 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: sean yang; +Cc: gcc-help, fortran

sean yang writes:
 > I successfully compile a GCC4.0.2 with Fortran front end. I tried to use it
 > to compile some fortran programs, so far all of them work fine.
 >
 > But the make check gave lots of failure. Is it tolerable to have thousands
 > of failure?

No.  You need to look at the log to see what the failures were.

Andrew.

* Re: LOTS of failures when making check for gfortran--is it  Ok?
@ 2006-06-23 10:41 ` tobias.schlueter
From: tobias.schlueter @ 2006-06-23 10:41 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: sean yang; +Cc: gcc-help, fortran

sean yang <seanatpurdue@hotmail.com> wrote on Fri, 23 Jun 2006:
> I successfully compile a GCC4.0.2 with Fortran front end. I tried to
> use it to compile some fortran programs, so far all of them work fine.
>
> But the make check gave lots of failure. Is it tolerable to have
> thousands of failure?

No, this means that something's broken in your build, and the compiler
is probably not usable.  Nevertheless, you may want to use at least
gcc 4.1.1, as the gfortran that comes with gcc 4.0.x isn't really
usable, even if the testsuite passes cleanly.

- Tobi

* Re: LOTS of failures when making check for gfortran--is it  Ok?
@ 2006-06-23 13:36   ` Tim Prince
From: Tim Prince @ 2006-06-23 13:36 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: tobias.schlueter; +Cc: sean yang, gcc-help, fortran

tobias.schlueter@physik.uni-muenchen.de wrote:
> sean yang <seanatpurdue@hotmail.com> wrote on Fri, 23 Jun 2006:
>> I successfully compile a GCC4.0.2 with Fortran front end. I tried to
>> use it to compile some fortran programs, so far all of them work fine.
>>
>> But the make check gave lots of failure. Is it tolerable to have
>> thousands of failure?
>
> No, this means that something's broken in your build, and the compiler
> is probably not usable.  Nevertheless, you may want to use at least gcc
> 4.1.1, as the gfortran that comes with gcc 4.0.x isn't really usable,
> even if the testsuite passes cleanly.

Regardless of version, testsuite will show unsatisfactory results if
your build did not complete, for example if you didn't build
libgfortran.   But you have been ignoring plenty of questions on why you
are trying to build this broken version, so I expect today's replies to
be ignored as well.