* request forum post removal
@ 2016-08-26  3:29 jjolic
From: jjolic @ 2016-08-26  3:29 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: gcc-help

Hi
Several years ago (about 2003) I posted on forum asking for basic info on gcc.  my name unfortunately is showing and can be searched by employers etc.  And i'm not in IT field.  Any chance you could delete that post so that it can't be googled by people who search my name?  would be greatly appreciated.

my post is this one:
https://gcc.gnu.org/ml/gcc-help/2003-12/msg00128.html

Thanks

* Re: request forum post removal
@ 2016-08-26  8:27 ` Bob Wilkinson
From: Bob Wilkinson @ 2016-08-26  8:27 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: jjolic; +Cc: gcc-help

On Fri, Aug 26, 2016 at 01:29:09PM +1000, jjolic@bigpond.net.au wrote:
> Hi
> Several years ago (about 2003) I posted on forum asking for basic info on gcc.  my name unfortunately is showing and can be searched by employers etc.  And i'm not in IT field.  Any chance you could delete that post so that it can't be googled by people who search my name?  would be greatly appreciated.
>
> my post is this one:
> https://gcc.gnu.org/ml/gcc-help/2003-12/msg00128.html
>

> Thanks

If I had any power, I would vote that the post should not be removed.

There are a number of replies which reference the original post,
would you advocate that these should :

1. Be removed also
2. Be left referencing a post which cannot be read
3. Be edited to remove reference to your original question?
n. ...

Then there is the thorny issue of replication on many servers
throughout the world. Who would ensure that all copies were removed?

If you are not in the IT field, why do you think that asking
reasonable beginners questions about gcc reflect badly upon
yourself? Especially when the request was made more than a decade
ago.

Speaking personally, I think that this revisionist approach to
history is at best misguided, and potentially dangerous.

I probably could say more, but I will stop ...

Bob

* Re: request forum post removal
@ 2016-08-26  8:32   ` Dennis Clarke
From: Dennis Clarke @ 2016-08-26  8:32 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: gcc-help

On 08/26/2016 04:27 AM, Bob Wilkinson wrote:
> On Fri, Aug 26, 2016 at 01:29:09PM +1000, jjolic@bigpond.net.au wrote:
>> Hi
>> Several years ago (about 2003) I posted on forum asking for basic info on gcc.  my name unfortunately is showing and can be searched by employers etc.  And i'm not in IT field.  Any chance you could delete that post so that it can't be googled by people who search my name?  would be greatly appreciated.
>>
>> my post is this one:
>> https://gcc.gnu.org/ml/gcc-help/2003-12/msg00128.html
>>

>> Thanks
>
> If I had any power, I would vote that the post should not be removed.

There isn't any reasonable reason to delete anything unless the request
is filed in accordance with privacy regulations and under some section
of legislation related to privacy regulations. Even then it isn't really
possible. Simply because, as stated, the data is replicated in many
places all over the world.

Dennis

ps: section 7 of privacy act in Canada and PIPEDA may apply but
       neither controls the rise and set of the sun thus neither
       could remove replicated data all over the world.