* gcc will not read its own makefile
@ 2011-05-31 13:27 RedSonja
From: RedSonja @ 2011-05-31 13:27 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: gcc-help

Hello. I am porting a big C++ project from Windows to Solaris 9 with Eclipse
and gnu. It can make its own makefile but then it says:

gcc -f /export/home/MyPath/Debug/makefile -v
Using built-in specs.
Target: sparc-sun-solaris2.10
Configured with: /_support/develop_tools/Sol10_gcc/gcc-4.2.4/configure
--prefix=/usr/local/gcc4.2.4 --with-as=/usr/ccs/bin/as
--with-ld=/usr/ccs/bin/ld --enable-shared --enable-languages=c,c++
Thread model: posix
gcc version 4.2.4
 /usr/local/gcc4.2.4/libexec/gcc/sparc-sun-solaris2.10/4.2.4/collect2 -V -Y
P,/usr/ccs/lib:/usr/lib -Qy
/usr/local/gcc4.2.4/lib/gcc/sparc-sun-solaris2.10/4.2.4/crt1.o
/usr/local/gcc4.2.4/lib/gcc/sparc-sun-solaris2.10/4.2.4/crti.o
/usr/ccs/lib/values-Xa.o
/usr/local/gcc4.2.4/lib/gcc/sparc-sun-solaris2.10/4.2.4/crtbegin.o
-L/usr/local/gcc4.2.4/lib/gcc/sparc-sun-solaris2.10/4.2.4 -L/usr/ccs/lib
-L/usr/local/gcc4.2.4/lib/gcc/sparc-sun-solaris2.10/4.2.4/../../..
/export/home/riedhamm/work/obms/Core/Debug/makefile -lgcc -lgcc_eh -lc -lgcc
-lgcc_eh -lc
/usr/local/gcc4.2.4/lib/gcc/sparc-sun-solaris2.10/4.2.4/crtend.o
/usr/local/gcc4.2.4/lib/gcc/sparc-sun-solaris2.10/4.2.4/crtn.o
ld: Software Generation Utilities - Solaris Link Editors: 5.9-1.393
ld: fatal: file /export/home/MyPath/Debug/makefile: unknown file type
ld: fatal: File processing errors. No output written to a.out
collect2: ld returned 1 exit status

So can anybody see what I am doing wrong? I haven't done Unix for about 10
years. Maybe the versions don't agree?

* Re: gcc will not read its own makefile
@ 2011-05-31 13:28 ` Jonathan Wakely
From: Jonathan Wakely @ 2011-05-31 13:28 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: RedSonja; +Cc: gcc-help

On 31 May 2011 13:21, RedSonja wrote:

> Hello. I am porting a big C++ project from Windows to Solaris 9 with Eclipse
> and gnu. It can make its own makefile but then it says:
>
> gcc -f /export/home/MyPath/Debug/makefile -v

Maybe you meant "make -f ..." ?

GCC is a compiler, it doesn't read makefiles

* Re: gcc will not read its own makefile
@ 2011-05-31 13:35   ` RedSonja
From: RedSonja @ 2011-05-31 13:35 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: gcc-help

Jonathan Wakely-4 wrote:

> On 31 May 2011 13:21, RedSonja wrote:
>>
>> Hello. I am porting a big C++ project from Windows to Solaris 9 with
>> Eclipse
>> and gnu. It can make its own makefile but then it says:
>>
>> gcc -f /export/home/MyPath/Debug/makefile -v
>
> Maybe you meant "make -f ..." ?
>
> GCC is a compiler, it doesn't read makefiles

it says:

(Exec error:Cannot run make)

Why would it say that? I typed make at first. Do I have to install it
separately?

* Re: gcc will not read its own makefile
@ 2011-05-31 13:51     ` Ian Lance Taylor
From: Ian Lance Taylor @ 2011-05-31 13:51 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: RedSonja; +Cc: gcc-help

RedSonja <Sally.Riedhammer@cassidian.com> writes:

> Jonathan Wakely-4 wrote:
>>
>> On 31 May 2011 13:21, RedSonja wrote:
>>>
>>> Hello. I am porting a big C++ project from Windows to Solaris 9 with
>>> Eclipse
>>> and gnu. It can make its own makefile but then it says:
>>>
>>> gcc -f /export/home/MyPath/Debug/makefile -v
>>
>> Maybe you meant "make -f ..." ?
>>
>> GCC is a compiler, it doesn't read makefiles
>>

> it says:
>
> (Exec error:Cannot run make)
>
> Why would it say that? I typed make at first. Do I have to install it
> separately?

The "make" program is not part of gcc.  You do have to have the make
program installed in order to build gcc or to use a Makefile.  If you
don't have a make program, you should install it.  I'm sure that Solaris
provides a make program, though perhaps it is not installed by default.
It may be installed in /usr/ccs/bin/make on Solaris, so check that
/usr/ccs/bin is on your PATH.

Ian

* Re: gcc will not read its own makefile
@ 2011-05-31 14:37       ` Jonathan Wakely
From: Jonathan Wakely @ 2011-05-31 14:37 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: RedSonja; +Cc: gcc-help

On 31 May 2011 14:26, Ian Lance Taylor wrote:
> RedSonja <Sally.Riedhammer@cassidian.com> writes:
>
>> Jonathan Wakely-4 wrote:

>>> Maybe you meant "make -f ..." ?
>>>
>>> GCC is a compiler, it doesn't read makefiles
>>>

>> it says:
>>
>> (Exec error:Cannot run make)
>>
>> Why would it say that? I typed make at first. Do I have to install it
>> separately?
>
> The "make" program is not part of gcc.  You do have to have the make
> program installed in order to build gcc or to use a Makefile.  If you
> don't have a make program, you should install it.  I'm sure that Solaris
> provides a make program, though perhaps it is not installed by default.
> It may be installed in /usr/ccs/bin/make on Solaris, so check that
> /usr/ccs/bin is on your PATH.

Or try /usr/xpg4/bin/make for POSIX make, or /usr/sfw/bin/gmake for GNU make

* Re: gcc will not read its own makefile
@ 2011-05-31 15:17       ` RedSonja
From: RedSonja @ 2011-05-31 15:17 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: gcc-help

Ian Lance Taylor-3 wrote:

> RedSonja <Sally.Riedhammer@cassidian.com> writes:
>
>> Jonathan Wakely-4 wrote:

>>> Maybe you meant "make -f ..." ?
>>>
>>> GCC is a compiler, it doesn't read makefiles
>>>

>> it says:
>>
>> (Exec error:Cannot run make)
>>
>> Why would it say that? I typed make at first. Do I have to install it
>> separately?
>
> The "make" program is not part of gcc.  You do have to have the make
> program installed in order to build gcc or to use a Makefile.  If you
> don't have a make program, you should install it.  I'm sure that Solaris
> provides a make program, though perhaps it is not installed by default.
> It may be installed in /usr/ccs/bin/make on Solaris, so check that
> /usr/ccs/bin is on your PATH.
>
> Ian

Ha! That was all it needed! Now it runs. OK, it doesn't like its makefile. I
shall start a new thread about that...

* Re: gcc will not read its own makefile
@ 2011-05-31 22:28         ` Jonathan Wakely
       [not found]           ` <4DE56E62.2080101@aol.com>
From: Jonathan Wakely @ 2011-05-31 22:28 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: RedSonja; +Cc: gcc-help

On 31 May 2011 14:47, RedSonja wrote:

> Ha! That was all it needed! Now it runs. OK, it doesn't like its makefile. I
> shall start a new thread about that...

If the error is about 'make' not liking the makefile then this is the
wrong list, because this list is about help with gcc, not help with
make.

There are different versions of make which have different features and
slightly different makefile syntax.  Try using the different versions
of make available on Solaris, one of them might support your makefile.

@ 2011-06-01  9:22             ` Kai Ruottu
From: Kai Ruottu @ 2011-06-01  9:22 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: gcc-help

>>> On 05/31/2011 10:19 AM, Jonathan Wakely wrote:
>>> If the error is about 'make' not liking the makefile then this is the
>>> wrong list, because this list is about help with gcc, not help with
>>> make.
>>> There are different versions of make which have different features and
>>> slightly different makefile syntax. Try using the different versions
>>> of make available on Solaris, one of them might support your makefile.
>> On 31 May 2011 14:47, RedSonja wrote:
>> Ha! That was all it needed! Now it runs. OK, it doesn't like its
>> makefile. I shall start a new thread about that...

The issue here seems to be the Eclipse IDE, GUI or whatever it should
be called... So it creates a makefile for some 'make' but for what?

I tried to look what are the Eclipse requirements for 'make' via net
search but that wasn't easily found, only hints like at:

http://www.ibm.com/developerworks/opensource/library/os-ecc/

"The last one is, of course, makefile, which will be used by GNU Make
for building binaries."

Using GNU make with GCC is of course something which people are/were
assumed to do automatically, on each platform... One either uses GNU
or then not uses GNU, the dualism theory (bolshevism/bushism/bullshitism
the last invented by Donald Duck's scientist-uncle who applies it via
throwing a coin) is widely accepted as the only truth, no grey areas :)

Ok, looking again the given URL I saw :

"Solaris and QNX require you to download and install their specific
  GCC, GNU Make binutils, and GDB ports (see Resources)."

For me this is quite clear, there is no "grey area", with Eclipse one
MUST use the GNU tools!