* new to GCC
@ 2011-10-27 18:28 albert kasenter
From: albert kasenter @ 2011-10-27 18:28 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: gcc-help

I would like ( at my late age  of 68 ) to learn more about computing and
since I do program some in C++ and Java I would like to install GCC on my
system.  I am on the mailing list and receive the update emails but when
I go to the site all I see is a boatload of files.  Is there a site or a
publication that would tell me what to download and how to install.
When I was in college we only had punch cards.

Sorry if this is of no interest to you all.

Albert

* Re: new to GCC
@ 2011-10-27 18:38 ` Jonathan Wakely
From: Jonathan Wakely @ 2011-10-27 18:38 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: albert kasenter; +Cc: gcc-help

On 27 October 2011 19:28, albert kasenter wrote:
> I would like ( at my late age  of 68 ) to learn more about computing and
> since I do program some in C++ and Java I would like to install GCC on my
> system.  I am on the mailing list and receive the update emails but when I
> go to the site all I see is a boatload of files.  Is there a site or a
> publication that would tell me what to download and how to install.  When I
> was in college we only had punch cards.

Depending on what operating system you're using, the simplest way to
install it might be to find a version of gcc already built for your
system.  All GNU/Linux distributions include gcc packages, which can
be installed from the package manager.

For Windows there are builds of GCC available from the MinGW and
Cygwin projects.

Other systems usually have GCC packages provided by some third-party.

If you need (or want) to build GCC yourself, I've described a simple
method at http://advogato.org/person/redi/diary/253.html

* Re: new to GCC
@ 2011-10-27 18:39 ` Bob Plantz
From: Bob Plantz @ 2011-10-27 18:39 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: albert kasenter; +Cc: gcc-help

On 10/27/2011 11:28 AM, albert kasenter wrote:
> I would like ( at my late age  of 68 ) to learn more about computing
> and since I do program some in C++ and Java I would like to install
> GCC on my
> system.  I am on the mailing list and receive the update emails but
> when I go to the site all I see is a boatload of files.  Is there a
> site or a publication that would tell me what to download and how to
> install.  When I was in college we only had punch cards.
>
> Sorry if this is of no interest to you all.
>
> Albert

I'm pushing 73 and still enjoy programming and learning more about
computing.

A good starting point would be for you to tell us what platform you wish
to do this on. For example, most Linux distributions allow you to
install gcc from their repositories.

BTW, my first computing class was about designing logic circuits. We
learned about it using both transistors and vacuum tubes. Punch cards
were a step forward for me.

--Bob

* Re: new to GCC
@ 2011-10-27 18:59   ` albert kasenter
From: albert kasenter @ 2011-10-27 18:59 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: plantz, gcc-help, andrewmchorney, dclarke

I received several answers, so I hope you don't mind if I answer this
one and send to all.

I am a Medical Physicist but trained back in the vacuum tube days, I
have worked with computers for a long time.
Before I retired I setup the computer system used the Department of
Radiotherapy at Trinity College, we had a computer lab
to teach 3D treatment planning using CT data to students. So we had 40
computers ( first with Linus and then Windows ) networked
in the department.  I set it up , installed the software, taught the
class and maintained the system ( but did no programming ).
( yea I told my students it was uphill both ways to school ).

I still have several computers.  My main unit ( this one ) is running
windows 7 with 2 Terabit hard drives.  In addition I have a laptop running
windows 98 and Ubuntu Linux. I also have a lap top running DOS.

If I was braver and could find all the software I need I would go to
Linux, but for now I need the Windows 7 OS.
So what would I need for my main system Windows 7 or should I download
the Linux system to start there.
I do like computers and have about 7 in various stages of repair ( tho
like and idiot I got rid of my Altair after I build it ).

Albert

On 10/27/2011 2:39 PM, Bob Plantz wrote:
> On 10/27/2011 11:28 AM, albert kasenter wrote:
>> I would like ( at my late age  of 68 ) to learn more about computing
>> and since I do program some in C++ and Java I would like to install
>> GCC on my
>> system.  I am on the mailing list and receive the update emails but
>> when I go to the site all I see is a boatload of files.  Is there a
>> site or a publication that would tell me what to download and how to
>> install.  When I was in college we only had punch cards.
>>
>> Sorry if this is of no interest to you all.
>>
>> Albert
>
> I'm pushing 73 and still enjoy programming and learning more about
> computing.
>
> A good starting point would be for you to tell us what platform you
> wish to do this on. For example, most Linux distributions allow you to
> install gcc from their repositories.
>
> BTW, my first computing class was about designing logic circuits. We
> learned about it using both transistors and vacuum tubes. Punch cards
> were a step forward for me.
>
> --Bob

* Re: new to GCC
@ 2011-10-27 19:07     ` Tim Prince
From: Tim Prince @ 2011-10-27 19:07 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: gcc-help

On 10/27/2011 2:58 PM, albert kasenter wrote:

> If I was braver and could find all the software I need I would go to
> Linux, but for now I need the Windows 7 OS.
> So what would I need for my main system Windows 7 or should I download
> the Linux system to start there.

For Windows 7, I would suggest installing cygwin.  Among cygwin optional
component packages are a "native cygwin" 32-bit gcc compiler suite with
a high degree of linux-like posix capability, and the mingw gcc "cross
compilers" to make "native Windows" applications, both 32- and 64-bit
versions.
gcc on linux has much better OpenMP support for parallel applications
than does gcc on Windows.

--
Tim Prince

* Re: new to GCC
@ 2011-10-27 21:44       ` Amittai Aviram
From: Amittai Aviram @ 2011-10-27 21:44 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: tprince; +Cc: gcc-help

On Oct 27, 2011, at 3:07 PM, Tim Prince wrote:

> On 10/27/2011 2:58 PM, albert kasenter wrote:
>
>> If I was braver and could find all the software I need I would go to
>> Linux, but for now I need the Windows 7 OS.
>> So what would I need for my main system Windows 7 or should I download
>> the Linux system to start there.
>
> For Windows 7, I would suggest installing cygwin.  Among cygwin optional component packages are a "native cygwin" 32-bit gcc compiler suite with a high degree of linux-like posix capability, and the mingw gcc "cross compilers" to make "native Windows" applications, both 32- and 64-bit versions.
> gcc on linux has much better OpenMP support for parallel applications than does gcc on Windows.
>
> --
> Tim Prince

By the way, Albert, have you checked on your Linux machine to see whether you already have GCC installed there?  If not, installation is usually very easy--for instance, with Ubuntu, you would use the apt-get package manager:

sudo apt-get install gcc

Also, as retired staff from Trinity College, do you still have access to Trinity machines?  If so, you could just install a simple Telnet/SSH application on your Windows machine, connect by SSH to a remote machine on campus that runs Linux with GCC, and work that way.

Best wishes,
Amittai

Amittai Aviram
PhD Student in Computer Science
Yale University
646 483 2639
amittai.aviram@yale.edu
http://www.amittai.com

* Re: new to GCC
@ 2011-10-28  0:46     ` Bob Plantz
From: Bob Plantz @ 2011-10-28  0:46 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: albert kasenter; +Cc: gcc-help

On 10/27/2011 11:58 AM, albert kasenter wrote:
> I received several answers, so I hope you don't mind if I answer this
> one and send to all.
>
> I am a Medical Physicist but trained back in the vacuum tube days, I
> have worked with computers for a long time.
> Before I retired I setup the computer system used the Department of
> Radiotherapy at Trinity College, we had a computer lab
> to teach 3D treatment planning using CT data to students. So we had 40
> computers ( first with Linus and then Windows ) networked
> in the department.  I set it up , installed the software, taught the
> class and maintained the system ( but did no programming ).
> ( yea I told my students it was uphill both ways to school ).

In the late 70s I wrote the OS drivers for the specialized hardware
(data collection board and motor driver board) for a CT scanner built by
Syntex in Cupertino, Calif. Basically, I made the thing go and collect
data. Other programmers designed the user interface and image
reconstruction algorithms. The computer was a Data General Nova 3.

> I still have several computers.  My main unit ( this one ) is running
> windows 7 with 2 Terabit hard drives.  In addition I have a laptop
> running
> windows 98 and Ubuntu Linux. I also have a lap top running DOS.
>
> If I was braver and could find all the software I need I would go to
> Linux, but for now I need the Windows 7 OS.
> So what would I need for my main system Windows 7 or should I download
> the Linux system to start there.
> I do like computers and have about 7 in various stages of repair ( tho
> like and idiot I got rid of my Altair after I build it ).

I set up both my desktop and laptop to dual boot into either Windows 7
or Ubuntu 11.10. I find Linux much easier to use for programming.
Windows allows me to play with the rest of the world, for example, the
software that came with the Canon camera I just got.

BTW, I'm not pushing Ubuntu here. I think it has become a little too
complex over the years. Their goal is to produce a Windows replacement.
They're doing a very good job at that, especially for the price, but I
tend to prefer simple solutions. So far I haven't found a better (for my
needs) Linux distribution, but I always keep my eyes open.

--Bob

* Re: new to GCC
@ 2011-10-28  1:30       ` albert kasenter
From: albert kasenter @ 2011-10-28  1:30 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: plantz; +Cc: Bob Plantz, gcc-help

I am a DOS guy, never liked windows in any version and don't like Linux
that mimics windows.
Guess I like the command line system that I remember from Unix long
ago.  I am not really a hardware person,
I had always told our technologists that if the saw me going toward the
linear accelerator with a tool to shoot me.

Albert

On 10/27/2011 8:46 PM, Bob Plantz wrote:
> On 10/27/2011 11:58 AM, albert kasenter wrote:
>> I received several answers, so I hope you don't mind if I answer this
>> one and send to all.
>>
>> I am a Medical Physicist but trained back in the vacuum tube days, I
>> have worked with computers for a long time.
>> Before I retired I setup the computer system used the Department of
>> Radiotherapy at Trinity College, we had a computer lab
>> to teach 3D treatment planning using CT data to students. So we had
>> 40 computers ( first with Linus and then Windows ) networked
>> in the department.  I set it up , installed the software, taught the
>> class and maintained the system ( but did no programming ).
>> ( yea I told my students it was uphill both ways to school ).
>
> In the late 70s I wrote the OS drivers for the specialized hardware
> (data collection board and motor driver board) for a CT scanner built
> by Syntex in Cupertino, Calif. Basically, I made the thing go and
> collect data. Other programmers designed the user interface and image
> reconstruction algorithms. The computer was a Data General Nova 3.
>
>> I still have several computers.  My main unit ( this one ) is running
>> windows 7 with 2 Terabit hard drives.  In addition I have a laptop
>> running
>> windows 98 and Ubuntu Linux. I also have a lap top running DOS.
>>
>> If I was braver and could find all the software I need I would go to
>> Linux, but for now I need the Windows 7 OS.
>> So what would I need for my main system Windows 7 or should I
>> download the Linux system to start there.
>> I do like computers and have about 7 in various stages of repair (
>> tho like and idiot I got rid of my Altair after I build it ).
>>
> I set up both my desktop and laptop to dual boot into either Windows 7
> or Ubuntu 11.10. I find Linux much easier to use for programming.
> Windows allows me to play with the rest of the world, for example, the
> software that came with the Canon camera I just got.
>
> BTW, I'm not pushing Ubuntu here. I think it has become a little too
> complex over the years. Their goal is to produce a Windows
> replacement. They're doing a very good job at that, especially for the
> price, but I tend to prefer simple solutions. So far I haven't found a
> better (for my needs) Linux distribution, but I always keep my eyes open.
>
> --Bob

* Re: new to gcc
@ 2014-03-26 17:43     ` Tim Prince
From: Tim Prince @ 2014-03-26 17:43 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: gcc-help

On 3/26/2014 10:54 AM, Jonathan Wakely wrote:
> On 26 March 2014 14:52, Jonathan Wakely  wrote:
>> On 26 March 2014 14:45, albert.kasenter wrote:
>>> Hi I am a retired Medical Physicist and would like to know more about
>>> programming
>>>
>>> I downloaded a snapshot of  gcc 4.8 and now have it untarred and
>>> uncompressed in a folder under windows 7
>>> Where can I find information on how to configure and use it.
>> On Windows it is much easier to download pre-built binaries rather
>> than configure it yourself. The GCC project does not provide any
>> binaries itself, but there is a list of sources for Windows builds at
>> http://gcc.gnu.org/wiki/GFortranBinaries#Windows
> I've just realised using "sources" in that sentence is a bit
> confusing, I mean there is a list of places to get pre-built Windows
> binaries at http://gcc.gnu.org/wiki/GFortranBinaries#Windows
> (I don't mean you should get the source code from those sites.)
>
> Apologies for any confusion.
Anyway, you need one of those pre-built configurations even if you may
eventually proceed to building a snapshot.
cygwin provides a full selection of pre-built gcc 4.8.2 (and source
code) for 32- and 64-bit, both mingw and cygwin dll versions, with
OpenMP working, which is not default for Windows.

--
Tim Prince

* Re: new to gcc
@ 2014-03-26 15:08   ` Jonathan Wakely
From: Jonathan Wakely @ 2014-03-26 15:08 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: albert.kasenter; +Cc: gcc-help

@ 2014-03-26 14:54 ` Jonathan Wakely
From: Jonathan Wakely @ 2014-03-26 14:54 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: albert.kasenter; +Cc: gcc-help

On 26 March 2014 14:45, albert.kasenter wrote:
> Hi I am a retired Medical Physicist and would like to know more about
> programming
>
> I downloaded a snapshot of  gcc 4.8 and now have it untarred and
> uncompressed in a folder under windows 7
> Where can I find information on how to configure and use it.

On Windows it is much easier to download pre-built binaries rather
than configure it yourself. The GCC project does not provide any
binaries itself, but there is a list of sources for Windows builds at
http://gcc.gnu.org/wiki/GFortranBinaries#Windows

* new to gcc
@ 2014-03-26 14:53 albert.kasenter
From: albert.kasenter @ 2014-03-26 14:53 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: gcc-help

Hi I am a retired Medical Physicist and would like to know more about
programming

I downloaded a snapshot of  gcc 4.8 and now have it untarred and
uncompressed in a folder under windows 7
Where can I find information on how to configure and use it.

Albert Kasenter

-----
No virus found in this message.

* Re: new to GCC
@ 2011-10-27 18:34 Dennis Clarke
From: Dennis Clarke @ 2011-10-27 18:34 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: albert kasenter; +Cc: gcc-help

> I would like ( at my late age  of 68 ) to learn more about computing and
> since I do program some in C++ and Java I would like to install GCC on my
> system.  I am on the mailing list and receive the update emails but when
> I go to the site all I see is a boatload of files.  Is there a site or a
> publication that would tell me what to download and how to install.
> When I was in college we only had punch cards.
>
> Sorry if this is of no interest to you all.

No, it's pretty cool.

I still have a DEC VT220 terminal in my server room. Works great.

So the real issue here is what OS are you running? You see, you can
generally get GCC ready to run on a whole whack of operating systems. I
have no clue how people do things on Windows but at least in the
Linux/UNIX world things are fairly easy.

So I hope you have Linux.

If not then someone else has to chime in on the Windows situation.

Dennis

http://pgp.mit.edu:11371/pks/lookup?op=vindex&search=0x1D936C72FA35B44B
| Dennis Clarke           | Solaris and Linux and Open Source |
| dclarke@blastwave.org   | Respect for open standards.       |