* Building gcc 4.6.3 (and older) outside of source tree, under solaris
@ 2012-03-15 12:52 Jose-Marcio Martins da Cruz
From: Jose-Marcio Martins da Cruz @ 2012-03-15 12:52 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: gcc-help

Hello,

I have problems compiling gcc-4.6.3 under Solaris 10 X86.

It seems to me that it's a bug, but I'm astonished that it hasn't yet be pointed out. Or I'm doing
something wrong ?

I usually (for 10 years or more...) build gcc outside of the source tree. But I was puzzled because
I couldn't do it for most gcc-4x...

Let's say :
* source code dir is at, say, /pathto/gcc-4.6.3
* build dir is at, say, /pathto/obj

Compile process stops at stage 3, saying that some files weren't found :
* ext/pb_ds/detail/resize_policy/hash_load_check_resize_trigger_imp.hpp
* ext/pb_ds/detail/bin_search_tree_/constructors_destructor_fn_imps.hpp

This are, in fact, symbolic links pointing to the source tree :

*
/pathto/gcc-4.6.3/libstdc++-v3/include/ext/pb_ds/detail/resize_policy/hash_load_check_resize_trigger_imp.hpp
*
/pathto/gcc-4.6.3/libstdc++-v3/include/ext/pb_ds/detail/bin_search_tree_/constructors_destructor_fn_imps.hpp

And, in fact the file names in the source tree are wrong : they have a bad extension : .hp instead
of .hpp

I created the good files as symbolic links to the original .hp files and the compiling process ran
smoothly...

Is this a bug ? Or I missed something ?

Thanks

* Re: Building gcc 4.6.3 (and older) outside of source tree, under solaris
@ 2012-03-15 14:17 ` Jonathan Wakely
From: Jonathan Wakely @ 2012-03-15 14:17 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Jose-Marcio.Martins; +Cc: gcc-help

On 15 March 2012 12:51, Jose-Marcio Martins da Cruz wrote:

> I usually (for 10 years or more...) build gcc outside of the source tree.

That's the correct way to do it.

> But I was puzzled because I couldn't do it for most gcc-4x...
>
> Let's say :
> * source code dir is at, say, /pathto/gcc-4.6.3
> * build dir is at, say, /pathto/obj
>
> Compile process stops at stage 3, saying that some files weren't found :
> * ext/pb_ds/detail/resize_policy/hash_load_check_resize_trigger_imp.hpp
> * ext/pb_ds/detail/bin_search_tree_/constructors_destructor_fn_imps.hpp
>
> This are, in fact, symbolic links pointing to the source tree :
>
> *
> /pathto/gcc-4.6.3/libstdc++-v3/include/ext/pb_ds/detail/resize_policy/hash_load_check_resize_trigger_imp.hpp
> *
> /pathto/gcc-4.6.3/libstdc++-v3/include/ext/pb_ds/detail/bin_search_tree_/constructors_destructor_fn_imps.hpp
>
> And, in fact the file names in the source tree are wrong : they have a bad
> extension : .hp instead of .hpp

Try using GNU tar to extract from the archives, this happens sometimes
with Solaris tar.

* Re: Building gcc 4.6.3 (and older) outside of source tree, under solaris
@ 2012-03-15 15:49   ` Jose-Marcio Martins da Cruz
From: Jose-Marcio Martins da Cruz @ 2012-03-15 15:49 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Jonathan Wakely; +Cc: gcc-help

(top posting just to close the thread).

You're right. I was using GNU tar 1.20 before. With the last (version 1.26), it works fine.

Thanks

@ 2012-03-15 18:44 Dennis Clarke
From: Dennis Clarke @ 2012-03-15 18:44 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Jose-Marcio.Martins; +Cc: dclarke, Jonathan Wakely, gcc-help

>>> Try using GNU tar to extract from the archives, this happens sometimes
>>> with Solaris tar.
>>
>> better yet, use star: http://freecode.com/projects/star
>>
>> If you are on ZFS then star will ensure that the files are, in fact,
>> actually written to the file system and flushed. No promise otherwise.
>
> I was already using gtar. I'm updating it and will surely try star (I have zfs
> here).
>
> I don't believe I'm the only one to fall with this problem.
>
> Thanks for the hints.

Make your life easy, do this :

wget ftp://ftp.berlios.de/pub/schily/schily-2012-02-26.tar.bz2

read the arguments at :

http://lists.centos.org/pipermail/centos/2012-February/123160.html

Just extract the bz2 file, then cd into it and run make. Nothing else. No
configure needed. Just run make. Then when you run make install it will place
all the goodies into /opt/schily and you can run star or cdrecord or whatever
from there.

To extract any archive :

star -x -v file=foo.tar

If the thing is compressed use :

star -x -v -z file=foo.tar.gz

    or

star -x -v -bz file=foo.tar.bz2

If you want you can enforce overwrite and a fifo buffer and other
cool little features like retaining the uid/gid from the tarball :

star -x -v -xdir -xdot -U -fs=32m -fifostats -time file=foo.tar

The man page is 100 pages long.  :-\

dc

http://pgp.mit.edu:11371/pks/lookup?op=vindex&search=0x1D936C72FA35B44B
+-------------------------+-----------------------------------+
| Dennis Clarke           | Solaris and Linux and Open Source |
| dclarke@blastwave.org   | Respect for open standards.       |
+-------------------------+-----------------------------------+

* Re: Building gcc 4.6.3 (and older) outside of source tree, under solaris
@ 2012-03-15 15:09 ` Jose-Marcio Martins da Cruz
From: Jose-Marcio Martins da Cruz @ 2012-03-15 15:09 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: dclarke; +Cc: Jonathan Wakely, gcc-help

@ 2012-03-15 14:49 Dennis Clarke
From: Dennis Clarke @ 2012-03-15 14:49 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Jonathan Wakely; +Cc: jose-marcio.martins, gcc-help

@ 2012-03-15 13:23 Dennis Clarke
From: Dennis Clarke @ 2012-03-15 13:23 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Jose-Marcio.Martins; +Cc: gcc-help

> Hello,
>
> I have problems compiling gcc-4.6.3 under Solaris 10 X86.

Well, if I am having no issues on Solaris 8 x86 then by the golden
rules of the Solaris ABI you should have no issue on Solaris 10:

http://gcc.gnu.org/ml/gcc-testresults/2012-03/msg01757.html

However, for giggles, I'll do a build on s10x86_64 to see what, if
anything, happens.