* compile gcc and library
@ 2012-05-24 17:41 Xin Tong
From: Xin Tong @ 2012-05-24 17:41 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: gcc-help

I am looking for an older version of gcc ( gcc version 3.4.X). I can
not find it in my os software repository. therefore i decide to
download the source and compile it myself.  I am looking at this
download link and have a few questions.

1. does gcc-3.4.2.tar.bz2 include all the other tars (i.e.
gcc-g++-3.4.2.tar.bz2 ).
2. if i compile the gcc in  gcc-3.4.2.tar.bz2, is libc going to be
compiled as well ? there are also other libraries such as libstdc++,
is it going to be compiled.
3. is it possible to link again a library compiled by other versions
of gcc (i.e. a program compiled with gcc 3.4.4 and links it with
library that comes with gcc-4.4.6 ) ?

http://gcc.skazkaforyou.com/releases/gcc-3.4.2/

Thanks

* Re: compile gcc and library
@ 2012-05-24 17:58 ` Ian Lance Taylor
From: Ian Lance Taylor @ 2012-05-24 17:58 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Xin Tong; +Cc: gcc-help

Xin Tong <xerox.time.tech@gmail.com> writes:

> I am looking for an older version of gcc ( gcc version 3.4.X). I can
> not find it in my os software repository. therefore i decide to
> download the source and compile it myself.  I am looking at this
> download link and have a few questions.
>
> 1. does gcc-3.4.2.tar.bz2 include all the other tars (i.e.
> gcc-g++-3.4.2.tar.bz2 ).

Yes.

> 2. if i compile the gcc in  gcc-3.4.2.tar.bz2, is libc going to be
> compiled as well ? there are also other libraries such as libstdc++,
> is it going to be compiled.

GCC includes the C++ library, libstdc++, but it does not include a C
library.

> 3. is it possible to link again a library compiled by other versions
> of gcc (i.e. a program compiled with gcc 3.4.4 and links it with
> library that comes with gcc-4.4.6 ) ?
>
> http://gcc.skazkaforyou.com/releases/gcc-3.4.2/

In general, yes.  For pure C code, yes.  For C++ code, some caveats may
apply.

Ian

* Re: compile gcc and library
@ 2012-05-24 18:11   ` Xin Tong
From: Xin Tong @ 2012-05-24 18:11 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Ian Lance Taylor; +Cc: gcc-help

On Thu, May 24, 2012 at 1:58 PM, Ian Lance Taylor <iant@google.com> wrote:
> Xin Tong <xerox.time.tech@gmail.com> writes:
>
>> I am looking for an older version of gcc ( gcc version 3.4.X). I can
>> not find it in my os software repository. therefore i decide to
>> download the source and compile it myself.  I am looking at this
>> download link and have a few questions.
>>
>> 1. does gcc-3.4.2.tar.bz2 include all the other tars (i.e.
>> gcc-g++-3.4.2.tar.bz2 ).
>
> Yes.
>
>> 2. if i compile the gcc in  gcc-3.4.2.tar.bz2, is libc going to be
>> compiled as well ? there are also other libraries such as libstdc++,
>> is it going to be compiled.
>
> GCC includes the C++ library, libstdc++, but it does not include a C
> library.
>
>> 3. is it possible to link again a library compiled by other versions
>> of gcc (i.e. a program compiled with gcc 3.4.4 and links it with
>> library that comes with gcc-4.4.6 ) ?
>>
>> http://gcc.skazkaforyou.com/releases/gcc-3.4.2/
>
> In general, yes.  For pure C code, yes.  For C++ code, some caveats may
> apply.

This is the reason why gcc contains a c++ library, but no need for C
library ? what kind of caveats , like different mangling styles ?

> Ian

* Re: compile gcc and library
@ 2012-05-24 19:17     ` Ian Lance Taylor
From: Ian Lance Taylor @ 2012-05-24 19:17 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Xin Tong; +Cc: gcc-help

Xin Tong <xerox.time.tech@gmail.com> writes:

>> In general, yes.  For pure C code, yes.  For C++ code, some caveats may
>> apply.
>>

> This is the reason why gcc contains a c++ library, but no need for C
> library ?

A C library inherently has lots of system dependencies, like how to do
I/O on the system.  It's easier to maintain that separately from the
compiler.

A C++ library does not have those dependencies, because it can simply
use the facilities of the C library.  Also, a C++ library has some close
ties to the compiler, e.g., in how exceptions are implemented and
details of things like __is_pod.

Also and probably more importantly, historically GCC was developed on
systems that have C libraries but don't have C++ libraries.  So GCC
always needed to provide a C++ library, but rarely needed to provide a C
one.

> what kind of caveats , like different mangling styles ?

That is one, yes.  In general the C++ ABI is much more complex and
subtle than the C ABI, and there is a correspondingly higher chance of
some sort of breakage.  That said, it usually does work fine.

Ian

* Re: compile gcc and library
@ 2012-05-25  8:30 ` Andrew Haley
From: Andrew Haley @ 2012-05-25  8:30 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: gcc-help

On 05/24/2012 06:40 PM, Xin Tong wrote:
> I am looking for an older version of gcc ( gcc version 3.4.X). I can
> not find it in my os software repository. therefore i decide to
> download the source and compile it myself.  I am looking at this
> download link and have a few questions.

This is going to be tricky.  Older versions of gc generally don't
compile with newer versions, and you'll have to do some fixing
up.

Andrew.

* Re: compile gcc and library
@ 2012-05-25 15:23   ` Ángel González
From: Ángel González @ 2012-05-25 15:23 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Andrew Haley; +Cc: gcc-help

On 25/05/12 10:30, Andrew Haley wrote:
> On 05/24/2012 06:40 PM, Xin Tong wrote:
>> I am looking for an older version of gcc ( gcc version 3.4.X). I can
>> not find it in my os software repository. therefore i decide to
>> download the source and compile it myself.  I am looking at this
>> download link and have a few questions.
> This is going to be tricky.  Older versions of gc generally don't
> compile with newer versions, and you'll have to do some fixing
> up.
>
> Andrew.
I thought the minimum compiler requirements for the bootstrap compiler
where very limited.
Isn't it even backwards compatible for one version? (ie. you can use
version X
to build X-1, then X-1 to build X-2...)

As for the actual problem of getting a 3.4 gcc, you may have better luck
making
the binary from some archive like
http://ge.archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/pool/universe/g/gcc-3.4/
to work.

* Re: compile gcc and library
@ 2012-05-25 15:29     ` Andrew Haley
From: Andrew Haley @ 2012-05-25 15:29 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Ángel González; +Cc: gcc-help

On 05/25/2012 04:22 PM, Ángel González wrote:
> On 25/05/12 10:30, Andrew Haley wrote:
>> On 05/24/2012 06:40 PM, Xin Tong wrote:
>>> I am looking for an older version of gcc ( gcc version 3.4.X). I can
>>> not find it in my os software repository. therefore i decide to
>>> download the source and compile it myself.  I am looking at this
>>> download link and have a few questions.
>> This is going to be tricky.  Older versions of gc generally don't
>> compile with newer versions, and you'll have to do some fixing
>> up.

> I thought the minimum compiler requirements for the bootstrap compiler
> where very limited.
> Isn't it even backwards compatible for one version? (ie. you can use
> version X
> to build X-1, then X-1 to build X-2...)

Not usually. Very old versions of gcc were often written in semi-broken
nonstandard C.

Andrew.