* throw specification warnings in c++
@ 2003-12-21 13:05 Mikael Hedberg
From: Mikael Hedberg @ 2003-12-21 13:05 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: gcc-help

Hi,

After searching the documentation, web and archives for quite considerable
amounts of time I've still been unable to find any information on this.

I'd like to get warnings at compile-time when doing things which obviously
break throw specifications, somewhat like java's compile-time errors for
not catching or declaring a "throws" exception type. Things like

void f() throw (int);
void g() throw () {
  f();
}

which obviously break the specification. However I've been unable to find
out any options to get such warnings from g++. Is there any way to get
such warnings? And if not, does anyone know of projects/ideas to create
such a warning?

Regards,
/Mikael Hedberg

* Re: throw specification warnings in c++
@ 2003-12-22  5:33 ` Eljay Love-Jensen
From: Eljay Love-Jensen @ 2003-12-22  5:33 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Mikael Hedberg, gcc-help

Hi Mikael,

Perhaps something like PCLint++ would analyze throw specification violations.  GCC does not, as far as I am aware.

Unlike Java, C++ handles violations of the throw specification at runtime, not at compile time.  (Unfortunately, IMHO.)

HTH,
--Eljay