* Testing a Canadian cross
@ 2012-11-07 10:38 Aurelien Buhrig
From: Aurelien Buhrig @ 2012-11-07 10:38 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: gcc-help

Hi,

I successfully build a canadian croos gcc for a private target on a
linux x64 build machine for a windows host (mingw32).

I suppose I can test such a compiler on the host machine (setting up
dejagnu/expect, a site.exp and the target simulator (sid) on the windows
host).
But in order to centralize on a single machine the build and the test of
binary releases for different hosts, I wonder if there is a way to test
such a compiler on (or from) the build machine, using an emulator, a
RPC-like or whatever.
Perhaps this is an issue someone has already addressed hereby?

Thanks,
Aurélien

* Re: Testing a Canadian cross
@ 2012-11-09  7:31 ` Ian Lance Taylor
From: Ian Lance Taylor @ 2012-11-09  7:31 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Aurelien Buhrig; +Cc: gcc-help

On Wed, Nov 7, 2012 at 2:38 AM, Aurelien Buhrig
<aurelien.buhrig.gcc@gmail.com> wrote:

> I successfully build a canadian croos gcc for a private target on a
> linux x64 build machine for a windows host (mingw32).
>
> I suppose I can test such a compiler on the host machine (setting up
> dejagnu/expect, a site.exp and the target simulator (sid) on the windows
> host).
> But in order to centralize on a single machine the build and the test of
> binary releases for different hosts, I wonder if there is a way to test
> such a compiler on (or from) the build machine, using an emulator, a
> RPC-like or whatever.
> Perhaps this is an issue someone has already addressed hereby?

I  believe the GCC testsuite has this facility, but frankly I do not
know how to use it.  You can tell DejaGNU to run programs remotely.

Ian

* Re: Testing a Canadian cross
@ 2012-11-09  8:23   ` Oleg Endo
       [not found]     ` <509CCBEF.1010701@wippies.com>
From: Oleg Endo @ 2012-11-09  8:23 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Ian Lance Taylor; +Cc: Aurelien Buhrig, gcc-help

On Thu, 2012-11-08 at 23:31 -0800, Ian Lance Taylor wrote:
> On Wed, Nov 7, 2012 at 2:38 AM, Aurelien Buhrig
> <aurelien.buhrig.gcc@gmail.com> wrote:
> >
> > I successfully build a canadian croos gcc for a private target on a
> > linux x64 build machine for a windows host (mingw32).
> >
> > I suppose I can test such a compiler on the host machine (setting up
> > dejagnu/expect, a site.exp and the target simulator (sid) on the windows
> > host).
> > But in order to centralize on a single machine the build and the test of
> > binary releases for different hosts, I wonder if there is a way to test
> > such a compiler on (or from) the build machine, using an emulator, a
> > RPC-like or whatever.
> > Perhaps this is an issue someone has already addressed hereby?
>
> I  believe the GCC testsuite has this facility, but frankly I do not
> know how to use it.  You can tell DejaGNU to run programs remotely.

Dan Kegel has a description on his page:
http://www.kegel.com/crosstool/current/doc/dejagnu-remote-howto.html

Cheers,
Oleg

* Re: Testing a Canadian cross
@ 2012-11-10 16:19 ` Ángel González
From: Ángel González @ 2012-11-10 16:19 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Aurelien Buhrig; +Cc: gcc-help

On 07/11/12 11:38, Aurelien Buhrig wrote:
> I suppose I can test such a compiler on the host machine (setting up
> dejagnu/expect, a site.exp and the target simulator (sid) on the windows
> host).
> But in order to centralize on a single machine the build and the test of
> binary releases for different hosts, I wonder if there is a way to test
> such a compiler on (or from) the build machine, using an emulator, a
> RPC-like or whatever.
You could run the mingw32 compiler using wine.
It won't be as accurate as running on the target machine, but using an
emulator wouldn't either. :)

* Re: Testing a Canadian cross
@ 2012-11-12 13:53     ` Aurelien Buhrig
       [not found]     ` <509CCBEF.1010701@wippies.com>
From: Aurelien Buhrig @ 2012-11-12 13:53 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Oleg Endo; +Cc: Ian Lance Taylor, gcc-help

> On Thu, 2012-11-08 at 23:31 -0800, Ian Lance Taylor wrote:
>> On Wed, Nov 7, 2012 at 2:38 AM, Aurelien Buhrig
>> <aurelien.buhrig.gcc@gmail.com> wrote:
>>>
>>> I successfully build a canadian croos gcc for a private target on a
>>> linux x64 build machine for a windows host (mingw32).
>>>
>>> I suppose I can test such a compiler on the host machine (setting up
>>> dejagnu/expect, a site.exp and the target simulator (sid) on the windows
>>> host).
>>> But in order to centralize on a single machine the build and the test of
>>> binary releases for different hosts, I wonder if there is a way to test
>>> such a compiler on (or from) the build machine, using an emulator, a
>>> RPC-like or whatever.
>>> Perhaps this is an issue someone has already addressed hereby?
>>
>> I  believe the GCC testsuite has this facility, but frankly I do not
>> know how to use it.  You can tell DejaGNU to run programs remotely.
>>

> Dan Kegel has a description on his page:
> http://www.kegel.com/crosstool/current/doc/dejagnu-remote-howto.html

Sorry for the late reply.
And thanks for the link, I will see if I can make it work and let you know.

Aurélien

* Re: Testing a Canadian cross
       [not found]     ` <509CCBEF.1010701@wippies.com>
@ 2012-11-12 14:26       ` Aurelien Buhrig
From: Aurelien Buhrig @ 2012-11-12 14:26 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Kai Ruottu; +Cc: gcc-help

09/11/2012 10:25, Kai Ruottu:
> 9.11.2012 10:23, Oleg Endo kirjoitti:
>> On Thu, 2012-11-08 at 23:31 -0800, Ian Lance Taylor wrote:

> I don't know what the situation with tcl/tk/itcl/itk etc and MinGW is
> nowadays but it
> used to be quite unsupported, the Cygwin alternative as a more Unix-like
> platform being
> the people's choice (?).  When experimenting with GDB/Insights for the
> MinGW host the
> FSF sources related to tcl/tk/itcl/itk/tix etc required quite a lot
> fixes in order to be built.
> I too used Linux as the build system for MinGW hosted binutils, GCCs and
> GDB/Insights,
> the Linux host being the primary runtime host and Windoze/MinGW one of
> the secondary
> hosts.

I succeed in building tcl/tk within binutils sources under windows
(cygwin) by replacing the default version of tcl/tk with the last one
from sourceforge. BTW, I wonder why FSF tcl source is not up-to-date in
binutils sources, but this is out of topic here. License issue ?

>>> I  believe the GCC testsuite has this facility, but frankly I do not
>>> know how to use it.  You can tell DejaGNU to run programs remotely.
>>>

> I haven't seen any docs about this succeeding :-(   What I remember
> being discussed
> was about making apps as X11-apps/X11-clients running on Windoze/MinGW
> so that
> one could control their keyboard, mouse etc. via a X11-server running on
> Linux.  That
> was claimed to be "impossible" because of some restrictions in
> Windoze...  This could
> be expected because also tcl/tk/itcl/itk/tix etc run on the Win32 API,
> not via X11 as on
> the Unix-like hosts.  The situation may have become worse, I used to try
> VNC sometimes
> to look other desktops in the LAN but with Vista (I think), the free-VNC
> stopped to work.

It seems too complicated for my use...

> Generally controlling remote desktops a'la VNC could be the way for
> running the tests
> remotely on Windoze/MinGW and using a virtual PC with a booted Windoze
> on a Linux
> system like 'https://www.virtualbox.org/' for running the tests on the
> build machine...
>> Dan Kegel has a description on his page:
>> http://www.kegel.com/crosstool/current/doc/dejagnu-remote-howto.html
>
> This seems to talk only about the normal cross case but if remote
> desktops and virtual
> PCs will cater the Canadian cross case then this is enough...

I think I need to properly setup the testsuite on the cygwin computer
first (running native mingw32 toolchain).

Thanks,
Aurélien

* Re: Testing a Canadian cross
@ 2012-11-12 15:09         ` Ian Lance Taylor
From: Ian Lance Taylor @ 2012-11-12 15:09 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Aurelien Buhrig; +Cc: Kai Ruottu, gcc-help

On Mon, Nov 12, 2012 at 6:26 AM, Aurelien Buhrig
<aurelien.buhrig.gcc@gmail.com> wrote:

> I succeed in building tcl/tk within binutils sources under windows
> (cygwin) by replacing the default version of tcl/tk with the last one
> from sourceforge. BTW, I wonder why FSF tcl source is not up-to-date in
> binutils sources, but this is out of topic here. License issue ?

I doubt it is a licensing issue, unless the license has changed.  I
suspect that nobody is actively working on gdbtk, and so nobody has
updated the Tcl/Tk sources.  This is an issue to bring up on a gdb
mailing list.  GCC does not use Tcl/Tk.

Ian

* Re: Testing a Canadian cross
@ 2012-11-13 10:34   ` Aurelien Buhrig
From: Aurelien Buhrig @ 2012-11-13 10:34 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Ángel González; +Cc: gcc-help

10/11/2012 17:17, Ángel González:
> On 07/11/12 11:38, Aurelien Buhrig wrote:
>> I suppose I can test such a compiler on the host machine (setting up
>> dejagnu/expect, a site.exp and the target simulator (sid) on the windows
>> host).
>> But in order to centralize on a single machine the build and the test of
>> binary releases for different hosts, I wonder if there is a way to test
>> such a compiler on (or from) the build machine, using an emulator, a
>> RPC-like or whatever.
> You could run the mingw32 compiler using wine.
> It won't be as accurate as running on the target machine, but using an
> emulator wouldn't either. :)

Sorry for my late reply. I was trying to install wine and make it
work... but it does not run as expected. I can execute the canadian
cross compiler when it is installed (using wine in command line), but I
cannot make it work within dejagnu.

My site.exp contains:
set GCC_UNDER_TEST {wine /path/to/<target>-gcc}

and I get:
Executing on host: wine /path/to/<target>-gcc   -O1  -w
-DSTACK_SIZE=1024 -c    -o 20000105-1.o
/path/to/src/gcc/testsuite/gcc.c-torture/compile/20000105-1.c
(timeout = 300)
[[?1h^[=output is:
^[[?1h^[=
FAIL: gcc.c-torture/compile/20000105-1.c  -O0  (test for excess errors)
Excess errors:
^[[?1h^[=
FAIL: gcc.c-torture/compile/20000105-1.c

It seems to be an output issue. Did you get such errors ?

Furthermore I was not able to make it work within the build directory
with a make check, and --tool_exec --tool_opts properly set... It seems
to be a windows-like path issue with xgcc.

Can you tell me more about your testsuite configuration?

Thanks!
Aurélien

* Re: Testing a Canadian cross
@ 2012-11-13 13:50     ` Aurelien Buhrig
From: Aurelien Buhrig @ 2012-11-13 13:50 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Ángel González; +Cc: gcc-help

13/11/2012 11:33, Aurelien Buhrig:
> 10/11/2012 17:17, Ángel González:
>> On 07/11/12 11:38, Aurelien Buhrig wrote:
>> You could run the mingw32 compiler using wine.
>

> Sorry for my late reply. I was trying to install wine and make it
> work... but it does not run as expected. I can execute the canadian
> cross compiler when it is installed (using wine in command line), but I
> cannot make it work within dejagnu.
>
> My site.exp contains:
> set GCC_UNDER_TEST {wine /path/to/<target>-gcc}
>
> and I get:
> Executing on host: wine /path/to/<target>-gcc   -O1  -w
> -DSTACK_SIZE=1024 -c    -o 20000105-1.o
> /path/to/src/gcc/testsuite/gcc.c-torture/compile/20000105-1.c
> (timeout = 300)
> [[?1h^[=output is:
> ^[[?1h^[=
> FAIL: gcc.c-torture/compile/20000105-1.c  -O0  (test for excess errors)
> Excess errors:
> ^[[?1h^[=
> FAIL: gcc.c-torture/compile/20000105-1.c
>
> It seems to be an output issue. Did you get such errors ?

Ok, it's a windows executable... so newlines contain \r and are not
misinterpreted in tcl. To workaround the issue, I made used a shell
script as GCC_UNDER_TEST :

#!/bin/sh
wine /path/to/<target>-gcc.exe $@ | sed -e "s#\r##"

Do you have a better solution?

Aurélien

* Re: Testing a Canadian cross
@ 2012-11-15 21:31       ` Ángel González
From: Ángel González @ 2012-11-15 21:31 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Aurelien Buhrig; +Cc: gcc-help

On 13/11/12 14:50, Aurelien Buhrig wrote:
> Ok, it's a windows executable... so newlines contain \r and are not
> misinterpreted in tcl. To workaround the issue, I made used a shell
> script as GCC_UNDER_TEST :
>
> #!/bin/sh
> wine /path/to/<target>-gcc.exe $@ | sed -e "s#\r##"
>
> Do you have a better solution?
>
> Aurélien
You could probably set binary mode in an object linked to the items, but
just stripping the \r seems a better one.