* gmon.c
@ 2004-09-10 14:45 Gabriel Tanase
From: Gabriel Tanase @ 2004-09-10 14:45 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: gcc-help

hello,

I am interested to build gcc with a slightly modified gcc/gmon.c
file(instead of writing to the results into gmon.out I write the
results into gmon.out.PID where PID is the process id  of the current
process). When I compile the sources(./configure
--prefix=/home/gabrielt/gnu ; make; make install  or ./configure; make
bootstrap; make install)  the gmon.c is never compiled. Can anybody
point me to some documentation about how I can compile and include a
modified gmon.c

Thanks,
GAbi

* Re: gmon.c
@ 2004-09-12  2:55 ` Ian Lance Taylor
From: Ian Lance Taylor @ 2004-09-12  2:55 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: gabrielt; +Cc: gcc-help

Gabriel Tanase <gabrieltanase@gmail.com> writes:

> I am interested to build gcc with a slightly modified gcc/gmon.c
> file(instead of writing to the results into gmon.out I write the
> results into gmon.out.PID where PID is the process id  of the current
> process). When I compile the sources(./configure
> --prefix=/home/gabrielt/gnu ; make; make install  or ./configure; make
> bootstrap; make install)  the gmon.c is never compiled. Can anybody
> point me to some documentation about how I can compile and include a
> modified gmon.c

You neglected to say which type of system you are using.

Normally functions like monstartup() come from your system libraries
or startup files.  The gmon.c file which comes with gcc is not
normally used.  Changing that gmon.c will normally not do anything at
all.

In fact, I suspect that gcc/gmon.c is never used at all.  gcc does
provide a gmon file on Solaris, but I think the sources are in
config/sparc/gmon-sol2.c and config/i386/gmon-sol2.c.

gmon.c was added by RMS on November 28, 1991, and appeared in the gcc
2.0 release.  However, even back then I can't see anything which
actually uses the file.

Ian