* C-library to play a wave file?
@ 2004-03-07 14:39 hellokitty
From: hellokitty @ 2004-03-07 14:39 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: gcc-help

Hello list members,
I wish to play wave files in a C-program. Is it possible to find such library?
I could invoke a "cat [wavefile] > /dev/dsp" in the C-program but doing
the cat thing in the console outputs very awful sounds. There must be some
multimedia header file for C, no? :)

I think I've tried my best to find a header file (wild guesses were wave.h
and sound.h), googled around but with no luck. The best I could find is
csound but it seems to be a complex program rather than a library.

Yours,
Jack

* Re: C-library to play a wave file?
@ 2004-03-08 13:01 ` Eljay Love-Jensen
From: Eljay Love-Jensen @ 2004-03-08 13:01 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: hellokitty, gcc-help

Hi Jack,

Use Ogg Vorbis:
http://www.vorbis.com/

If you need a subset thereof, or a dependent audio library, you'll find
lots of links and (best of all) it is open source.

HTH,
--Eljay