* Analysis results differ with different versions of g77 compilers?
@ 2004-03-10  4:01 Lu, Yuan
From: Lu, Yuan @ 2004-03-10  4:01 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 'gcc-help@gcc.gnu.org'

Hi there,

I have a strange problem: When I copied the Fortran programs
(compiled with GNU F77 2.96 20000731) from a
Red Hat 7.3 system to a Red Hat 9.0 system, and
run the programs, I got one results set.

After I recompiled the same Fortran programs with gcc 3.2.2 20030222
on the same Redhat 9.0 system , and ran the same programs with same
input data set as above, I got a different results set. Usually the
results differs from the 4-th decimal point.

Any body knows what's the reasons why I got different results?

Many thanks.

Yuan

* Re: Analysis results differ with different versions of g77 compilers?
@ 2004-03-10 14:46 ` Eljay Love-Jensen
From: Eljay Love-Jensen @ 2004-03-10 14:46 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Lu, Yuan, 'gcc-help@gcc.gnu.org'

Hi Yuan,

I'm not 100% sure, but my guess would be that one or both programs were not
compiled with strict IEEE 754 compliance enabled.

Without strict compliance, the compiler is at liberty to take advantage of
optimizations which may result in twitchy differences in least significant
digits of floating point numbers.

--Eljay