* Re: Should I expect a gcc as the output of the  build?
@ 2005-03-28 22:59 Pavarotti
From: Pavarotti @ 2005-03-28 22:59 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: gcc-help

Hello,
I read the gcc installation guide again and realised that I should have used a separate subdirectory, something like objdir, for the output.

I did this and used the following commands

$../srcdir/configure --enable-languages=c,c++ --target=i686-pc-linux-gnu
$make

I still cannot generate a gcc. Please advise.

Paravotti

From: Eljay Love-Jensen @ 2005-03-29  0:04 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: casa_verde, gcc-help

Hi Paravotti,

Do you have all the prerequisites, as per <http://gcc.gnu.org/install/prerequisites.html>?

For instance, to compile GCC, you need to have a C90 compliant compiler installed?

Do you have GNU binutils built & installed?

Et cetera, et cetera.

--Eljay

* Re: Should I expect a gcc as the output of the  build?
@ 2005-03-29 23:21 ` Eljay Love-Jensen
From: Eljay Love-Jensen @ 2005-03-29 23:21 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: casa_verde, gcc-help

Hi Pavarotti,

>1. I believe I have met the prerequisites. I have been programing and compiling other applications, drivers, and kernel images without problems. What else could I have missed?

I don't know.

>2. My output has an xgcc. What is xgcc? or where I can find the info about xgcc?

You are intentionally building a cross-compiler, correct?

>Is xgcc just the gcc but with a different name?

I believe xgcc is GCC built as a cross-compiler.  You did add the cross-compiler --target flag, which is for creating a cross-compiler (as per <http://gcc.gnu.org/install/configure.html>).

HTH,
--Eljay

* Re: Should I expect a gcc as the output of the  build?
@ 2005-03-29 23:16 Pavarotti

@ 2005-03-28 20:20 ` Eljay Love-Jensen
From: Eljay Love-Jensen @ 2005-03-28 20:20 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: casa_verde, gcc-help

Hi Pavarotti,

@ 2005-03-28 20:05 Pavarotti
From: Pavarotti @ 2005-03-28 20:05 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: gcc-help

Hello.
I am new to gcc and need your help.
I downloaded gcc-3.3.x.tar and tried to build it myself. The commands I used are

$./congfigure --enable languages=c,c++ --target=i686-pc-linux-gnu
$make

The compilation seems to be successful. I expected a gcc among other tools as the results of build.  I could not find any file named gcc as the output of the compilation, although I see cc1, cc1plus, g++, etc. Should I expect a gcc? what is the xgcc in the ./gcc subdirectory?

My host system is i686 GNU linux and my OS is Fedorea Core 2. My host gcc is version 3.3.3 which comes with Fedora core 2 installation.

Thanks.

Pavarotti

Join Excite! - http://www.excite.com