* RE: GCC Install Problem
       [not found] <616BE6A276E3714788D2AC35C40CD18D762FF6@whale.softwire.co.uk>
@ 2002-08-07  4:45 ` Rupert Wood
From: Rupert Wood @ 2002-08-07  4:45 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 'Kirk Lombardy'; +Cc: gcc-help, 'Todd Kokoszka'

Kirk Lombardy/Todd Kokoszka wrote:

> > Make: line 1246: Syntax error. Stop.
> >
> Does the command 'make' call gmake ?

To expand on that a little (read: do something with my beaten-to-it
reply :-) ), this doesn't look like an error produced by GNU make. It's
probably a good idea to use GNU make to build GCC; GNU make fixes some
VPATH and dependecy bugs in vendor makes (e.g. HP's) and has a slightly
extended syntax: I've lost track whether or not building with a non-GNU
make is currently supported but it's generally a good idea to use it
anyway. You can download it from any GNU mirror and it should build OK
with any C compiler; if you have trouble, try configuring it
'--disable-nls'. If you want to install it in parallel with your vendor
make, it's usual to configure it '--program-prefix=g', hence 'gmake' as
Todd suggests.

If you're already using GNU make (or if that doesn't fix it), it'd be
useful to know what system you're trying to install GCC on.

> > I run the make bootstrap command in the directory in which the
> > files were installed after running the configure command.  I am
> > assuming this is where I am suppose to run the make bootstrap
> > command at.

Yes, correct.

Rup.

* Re: gcc install problem
@ 2008-02-15  2:16   ` Tom Browder
From: Tom Browder @ 2008-02-15  2:16 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Jim Marshall; +Cc: gcc-help

On Thu, Feb 14, 2008 at 2:28 PM, Jim Marshall
<jim.marshall@wbemsolutions.com> wrote:

I have seen a similar problem with an installed gcc and yet have
configure fail to get a good compile.  I can't believe a vanilla
Ubuntu distribution doesn't have gcc installed.

Try the command:

  gcc

and report what happens.

-Tom

* Re: gcc install problem
@ 2008-02-14 20:29 ` Jim Marshall
From: Jim Marshall @ 2008-02-14 20:29 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: gcc-help

sgtbob wrote:
> Im using Ubuntu 7.10 and trying to install PYTHON, but here is what I see on
> execution:
>
> bob@XPS:~$ cd PYTHON
> bob@XPS:~/PYTHON$ dir
> Python-2.5.1  Python-2.5.1.tgz
> bob@XPS:~/PYTHON$ cd Python-2.5.1
> bob@XPS:~/PYTHON/Python-2.5.1$ dir
> config.log  configure.in  Doc      Include     Lib      Mac
> Misc     Objects  PC       PCbuild8       Python  RISCOS    Tools
> configure   Demo          Grammar  install-sh  LICENSE  Makefile.pre.in
> Modules  Parser   PCbuild  pyconfig.h.in  README  setup.py
> bob@XPS:~/PYTHON/Python-2.5.1$ ./configure
> checking MACHDEP... linux2
> checking EXTRAPLATDIR...
> checking for --without-gcc... no
> checking for gcc... gcc
> checking for C compiler default output file name... configure: error: C
> compiler cannot create executables
> See `config.log' for more details.
> bob@XPS:~/PYTHON/Python-2.5.1$
>
> So then I DL and tried to install the latest gcc-4.2.3with these results:
>
> bob@XPS:~$ cd GCC
> bob@XPS:~/GCC$ dir
> gcc-4.2.3  gcc-4.2.3.tar.bz2
> bob@XPS:~/GCC$ cd gcc-4.2.3
> bob@XPS:~/GCC/gcc-4.2.3$ ./configure
> checking host system type... i686-pc-linux-gnulibc1
> checking target system type... i686-pc-linux-gnulibc1
> checking build system type... i686-pc-linux-gnulibc1
> checking for a BSD compatible install... /usr/bin/install -c
> checking whether ln works... yes
> checking whether ln -s works... yes
> checking for gcc... gcc
> checking whether the C compiler (gcc  ) works... no
> configure: error: installation or configuration problem: C compiler cannot
> create executables.
> bob@XPS:~/GCC/gcc-4.2.3$
>

> Could someone show me where I'm going wrong? If I open synaptic package
> manager, it appears that GCC is install - more than one version - so why do
> I keep getting the above error messages? Help appreciated.
>
> Bob

You need to have a compiler installed to build the compiler (kind of a
chicken and egg thing). I am sure Ubuntu has a package you can install
that has the compiler pre-built for you (apt-get gcc  maybe??).

* Re: gcc install problem
@ 2008-02-14 14:57 ` Tim Prince
From: Tim Prince @ 2008-02-14 14:57 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: sgtbob; +Cc: gcc-help

sgtbob wrote:

> checking for C compiler default output file name... configure: error: C
> compiler cannot create executables
> See `config.log' for more details.

> Could someone show me where I'm going wrong?

By not taking the advice?

* gcc install problem
@ 2008-02-14 11:39 sgtbob
From: sgtbob @ 2008-02-14 11:39 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: gcc-help

[...]

* Re: GCC Install Problem
@ 2002-08-07  4:37 ` Todd Kokoszka
From: Todd Kokoszka @ 2002-08-07  4:37 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Kirk Lombardy; +Cc: gcc-help

> Make: line 1246: Syntax error. Stop.

Does the command 'make' call gmake ?

Todd

--
Todd Kokoszka
Developer

Tel: 33(01) 41 44 30 59

* GCC Install Problem
@ 2002-08-07  4:30 Kirk Lombardy
From: Kirk Lombardy @ 2002-08-07  4:30 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: gcc-help

Hi,

I downloaded and configured the GCC files to the T as listed in the
directions.  I reach the point where it says: make bootstrap and all I
get is STOPPED.  Here is the actual error I get when I type make
bootstrap:

@ 2000-10-19 13:06 ` Alexandre Oliva
From: Alexandre Oliva @ 2000-10-19 13:06 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Dan Didier; +Cc: gcc-help

On Oct 19, 2000, "Dan  Didier" <didierd@sunyit.edu> wrote:

> *** The command 'cc -o conftest -g   conftest.c' failed.
> *** You must set the environment variable CC to a working compiler.

> What can I do to overcome this problem?

You need a working compiler.  If you have one, set CC accordingly.  If
you don't, get a pre-compiled version.  There are links at gcc.gnu.org.

* gcc install problem
@ 2000-10-19 12:24 Dan  Didier
From: Dan  Didier @ 2000-10-19 12:24 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: gcc-help

I get this problem when trying to install GCC 2.95.2

[root@didier src]# ls
gcc-2.95.2  gcc-2.95.2.tar.gz  gcc-build  linux-2.2.17.tar.gz  redhat

[root@didier src]# cd gcc-build

[root@didier gcc-build]# ../gcc-2.95.2/configure --host=i586 --prefix=/usr \
> --with-gxx-include-dir=/usr/include/g++ \
> --enable-shared --enable-languages=c,c++

Created "Makefile" in /usr/src/gcc-build using "mh-frag" and "mt-frag"
../gcc-2.95.2/configure: cc: command not found
*** The command 'cc -o conftest -g   conftest.c' failed.
*** You must set the environment variable CC to a working compiler.

What can I do to overcome this problem?

Thanks