* Re: Does similar feature is supported by GCC??
@ 2002-11-13  2:30 Shrinivas Atre
From: Shrinivas Atre @ 2002-11-13  2:30 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: satyag, gcc-help

Have you tried Red Hat's Source Navigator ?
It is available at http://sources.redhat.com/sourcenav/
-Shrinivas

> Hi All,
> I am looking for a similar feature in GCC dont know
> whether it is present or not!!!
> Microsoft Visual C++® compiler supports a feature by
> which it generates
> .bsc file is a comprehensive database that contains
> information about a
> program's symbols, including symbol references,
> function calltrees, and
> definition tables. Is there any similar feature
> present in GCC?
> Any help in this direction is highly appreciated.
> Br

> Cutti

Free download of GNUSH and GNUH8 tool chains for Hitachi's SH and H8 Series.
The following site also offers free support to European customers.
Read more at http://www.kpit.com/products/support.htm
Latest versions of GNUSH and GNUH8 are released on October 1, 2002.

* Re: Does similar feature is supported by GCC??
@ 2002-11-05  4:36 ` John Love-Jensen
From: John Love-Jensen @ 2002-11-05  4:36 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Satya, gcc-help

Hi Cutti,

>Is there any similar feature present in GCC?

The 'nm' command and the 'objdump' command from the GNU development tools
will display the program's symbols, and some interesting information about
them, such as linkage, size, et al.

For calltrees, Software Blacksmith's C-DOC tools have some of those
facilities, but I haven't been especially impressed with their software.
Seems to have rested on its laurels, and rusted on the vine, from days gone
by.

--Eljay

* Re: Does similar feature is supported by GCC??
@ 2002-11-05  3:59 Ciaran O'Riordan
From: Ciaran O'Riordan @ 2002-11-05  3:59 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: satyag; +Cc: gcc-help

>Hi All,

hi satya.

>.bsc file is a comprehensive database that contains
>information about a
>program's symbols, including symbol references,
>function calltrees, and
>definition tables. Is there any similar feature
>present in GCC?

hmmm.  I can't think of anything but along a similar
vein you have:

GProf: the gnu profiler.  This will tell you how
much execution time spent in each function and how
many times each function is called.  To use gprof
you must add '-gprof -fprofile-arcs' to you
compilation command.

GCov: this tool will show you how many times each
line of your program is executed.  Can't remember
off the top of my head what switches you need to
add to your compilation command.

tags, ctags, etags:  These will generate a list
of the symbols in your code files.  You can then
use them to jump the the file and line that a
symbol appears on if you use Vi or Emacs.

I can't think of any tool to generate calltrees,
the only similar thing I can think of would be
to get a stack trace from GDB.

Was any of this helpful?

* Does similar feature is supported by GCC??
@ 2002-11-05  1:13 Satya
From: Satya @ 2002-11-05  1:13 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: gcc-help