* RE: libiconv errors bootstrapping under solaris
@ 2002-08-29  6:37 Hillel (Sabba) Markowitz
From: Hillel (Sabba) Markowitz @ 2002-08-29  6:37 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: gcc-help; +Cc: T.Jones

------------------- Original Message ---------------------------------

From: Tom JONES <T dot Jones at cs dot ucl dot ac dot uk>
     To: gcc-help at gnu dot org
     Date: Thu, 29 Aug 2002 14:25:34 +0100
     Subject: libiconv errors bootstrapping under solaris

I'm having problems bootstrapping gcc 3.1 on Solaris 2.7 and 8.
Here is the relevant extract from my typescript:

stage1/xgcc -Bstage1/ -B/opt/gcc31/sparc-sun-solaris2.7/bin/ -DIN_GCC    -g
-O2 -W -Wall -Wwrite-strings -Wstrict-prototypes -Wmissing-prototypes
-Wtraditional -pedantic -Wno-long-long  -DHAVE_CONFIG_H  -o jc1 \
        java/parse.o java/class.o java/decl.o java/expr.o java/constants.o
java/lang.o java/typeck.o java/except.o java/verify.o java/zextract.o
java/jcf-io.o java/jcf-parse.o java/mangle.o java/mangle_name.o
java/builtins.o java/jcf-write.o java/buffer.o java/check-init.o
java/jcf-depend.o java/jcf-path.o java/xref.o java/boehm.o mkdeps.o main.o
libbackend.a -L../zlib -lz    ../libiberty/libiberty.a
libiconv                            java/parse.o
libiconv_open                       java/parse.o
libiconv_close                      java/parse.o
ld: fatal: Symbol referencing errors. No output written to jc1
collect2: ld returned 1 exit status
gmake[2]: *** [jc1] Error 1
gmake[2]: Leaving directory
`/cs/sys/src2/src/gnu/sol27_sun4.32bit/gnu/gcc-3.1/gcc'

The thing I don't understand is that the bootstrap worked fine before I
installed GNU libiconv under /opt/gnu/lib.

Can anyone suggest how I can persuade the build to correctly link libiconv?

thanks,
Tom.

-------------------- End Original Message -----------------------------------

Did you remember to add the --with-libiconv-prefix=/opt/gnu to the configure
command?  You can find the description by "<source root>/gcc/configure --help"

One workaround would be to set the environmental variable LDFLAGS to
"-L/opt/gnu/lib -R/opt/gnu/lib"  Remember to make sure that the environmental
variable LD_LIBRARY_PATH has been unset.

--
Said the fox to the fish, "Join me ashore".
 The fish are the Jews, Torah is our water

Hillel (Sabba) Markowitz - sabbahem@bcpl.net

* Re: libiconv errors bootstrapping under solaris
@ 2002-08-30  6:00 ` Tom JONES
From: Tom JONES @ 2002-08-30  6:00 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Hillel (Sabba) Markowitz; +Cc: gcc-help, T.Jones

>> Undefined                       first referenced
>>  symbol                             in file
>> libiconv                            java/parse.o
[..]

> Did you remember to add the --with-libiconv-prefix=/opt/gnu to the configure
> command?  You can find the description by "<source root>/gcc/configure --help"

D'oh! No, I'd fogotten that you had to specify that to configure.
Thanks a lot for your help.

cheers,
Tom.

* libiconv errors bootstrapping under solaris
@ 2002-08-29  6:26 Tom JONES