* Newbie - gcc apparently not building obj file
@ 2000-01-04 17:11 Richard De Berry
From: Richard De Berry @ 2000-01-04 17:11 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gcc

I have Red Hat Linux 5.2 installed, gcc version 2.7.2.3, ELF 32-bit LSB
executable.  Trying to execute the simple Hello World program as a test on how
the compiler works, but it doesn't appear to be building an executable.  If I
enter gcc -o hello hello.c <RET>, then hello <RET>, I get a command not found
message.  I would really like to know what I'm doing wrong.  I've read all the
documentation I can find, but to no avail.  A little help, please.  Thanx.
Richard De Berry

* Re: Newbie - gcc apparently not building obj file
@ 2000-01-05  9:25 ` d_cary
From: d_cary @ 2000-01-05  9:25 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gcc

The first thing you need to do is
  ls -l
to make sure that gcc is really creating the output file ``hello'',
and setting the "executable" bit (there should be a "x" in the
permissions column of the listing for ``hello'', but a '-' in the same
column for ``hello.c'').

On my machine, I used to have to type
  ./hello
to execute a program in the current directory. My sysadmin claims it's
a "security feature". Without the ``./'', my machine looks in the
(supposedly "secure") locations for executables ( my ``path'' includes
lots of directories that end in ``/bin/'' ). When it doesn't find it
there, I get the ``command not found'' message. Don't tell him I added
the "./" directory to the end of my path.

By the way, folks around here use the term ``object file'' to talk
about (non-executable) intermediate files sometimes generated by the
compiler (if you use the -c option) and ending with the extension
``.o''.

Richard De Berry <deberryr@yahoo.com>, in frustration, wrote:
> I enter
>    gcc -o hello hello.c
>, then
>    hello
> I get a command not found message.

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Before you buy.

* Newbie - gcc apparently not building obj file
@ 2000-04-01  0:00 ` Richard De Berry
From: Richard De Berry @ 2000-04-01  0:00 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gcc

@ 2000-04-01  0:00   ` d_cary