* tar problem??
@ 2002-11-21  7:18 VallabhaN
From: VallabhaN @ 2002-11-21  7:18 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: gcc-help

Hi All,

     Can somebody tell is there any known problem of 'tar' command on Linux
machine, like truncating PATH environmental value? I using Linux 7.2 box (Red
Hat) and gcc 3.1

     I searched on the web and got one web page saying same thing about 'tar' .
Can somebody confirm this ?
We need to expand the cfmxinst.bin file that we compressed under Linux. We would
normally use the corresponding tar command in Mac OS X. Unfortunately, the tar
command is an older version (part of the Unix OS) that has some known
deficiencies. One of these affects us: when expanding, tar will truncate any
path names greater than 100 characters. Linux and some other Unix systems use a
later version of tar named: gnutar. We need to acquire this program for Mac OS
X.

http://www.oreillynet.com/lpt/a/2617

PS: Please CC me all your replies ..as I am not on this list.

Thanks & Regards
-Vallabha

only message in thread, other threads:[~2002-11-21 15:18 UTC | newest]