* RE: gcc for solaris sparc 8
@ 2004-09-21  7:44 Lourens Janse van Rensburg
From: Lourens Janse van Rensburg @ 2004-09-21  7:44 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: gcc-help

Hi, yes I'm using GCC 3.2.3 on Solaris 9.  Took me two days to get it
bootstrapped, but it works better than most other Solaris compilers.
Also: I copied my install directory (with the binaries, libs, headers)
to another Sparc box with Solaris 8, and it works fine too.

Remember that the shell on Solaris is at /usr/xpg4/bin/sh and not at
/bin/sh as you would normally expect.  Most of the GCC scripts and
makefiles assume that the shell is as /bin/sh.  So if you do a "make" or
"make install" you have to override it on the command line by saying
"make SHELL=/usr/xpg4/bin/sh install".

Or you could do a search & replace through the configure script and all
makefiles, to replace all occurrences of /bin/sh with /usr/xpg4/bin/sh.

Or try just making a symlink /bin/sh -> usr/xpg4/bin/sh if you have
permissions.

Good luck.  Keep trying until you succeed.

Lourens Janse van Rensburg...

From: Eljay Love-Jensen @ 2004-09-17 21:30 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Jeff Beck, gcc-help

@ 2004-09-17 21:09 lrtaylor
From: lrtaylor @ 2004-09-17 21:09 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: JBeck, gcc-help

If you want binaries, check out www.sunfreeware.com.  Otherwise, if you
have another compiler installed, you can build the version of GCC that
you want, getting the source code from ftp.gnu.org or a mirror site.

Thanks,
Lyle