* gcc, AIX, shared libraries, and objects files that don't end in . o
@ 2002-09-24 13:08 Douglas Richardson
From: Douglas Richardson @ 2002-09-24 13:08 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 'gcc-help@gcc.gnu.org'

I found it convenient to produce object files with gcc that end is .res
instead of .o. However, on AIX 4.3 (with either gcc 3.0.4 or 3.2) when I
link a shared library that contains one of these .res object files I cannot
find the symbols in the .res object files with dlsym. Though I am able to
see the symbols with nm.

I do not have this problem when I build with gcc 3.2 on either Red Hat Linux
7.2 (with binutils 2.13) or Solaris 2.8 (with binutils 2.12). Nor do I have
this problem on HP-UX 11.11 with gcc 3.0.1 (with binutils 2.13 and the
native ld).

I attached the program that demonstrates this behavior (to build on HP-UX
you must modify the Makefile a bit).

Anyone know what is going on here?

Thanks,

Douglas Richardson