* RE: Still can't build 3.2 on Solaris 8
@ 2002-09-25  9:20 Douglas Richardson
From: Douglas Richardson @ 2002-09-25  9:20 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 'gcc-help@gcc.gnu.org'

Hi Mark,

I recently built gcc 3.2 on Solaris 8. I'll tell you what I did.

First of all, you wrote:
> $ ./configure --with-ld=/usr/ccs/bin/ls --with-as=/usr/ccs/bin/as
> $ make bootstrap

The gcc installation docs say that you should not build in the source
directory (as you did). Here is an except from the gcc installation manual:

"First, in general, GCC must be built into a separate directory than the
sources which does not reside within the source tree. This is how almost all
developers build GCC; building where srcdir == objdir is completely
unsupported; building where objdir is a subdirectory of srcdir is completely
unsupported."

I created a directory called gcc-3.2-objdir and then from there I did the
following:

$ ../gcc-3.2/configure --with-as=/usr/share/devenvs/gcc32/bin/as
--with-gnu-as --with-ld=/usr/share/devenvs/gcc32/bin/ld --with-gnu-ld
--prefix=/usr/share/devenvs/gcc32 --enable-languages=c,c++ --disable-shared
$ make bootstrap

My existing compiler was gcc 2.95.2 and I used binutils 2.12. Before I used
binutils 2.12 I tried binutils 2.13 and I was able to build gcc 3.2.
However, I had a problem building my own application that uses shared
libraries with binutils 2.13 (my app would get a segmentation fault in the
startup code). But as soon as I switched to binutils 2.12 the problem went
away (I wrote a small test application to make sure it wasn't a problem with
my application).

If you still have no luck go to
http://dcsearch.sun.com/search/sfw/index.jsp?qt=+gcc+3.2 for a binary
distribution.

Keep me updated,

Douglas Richardson.

From: Frost Mark - mfrost @ 2002-09-25  9:42 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 'Douglas Richardson'; +Cc: 'gcc-help@gcc.gnu.org'

Weird.  I figured I did not have to do this as I've never had to do this
with a GCC build before.  Anyway, I'll give your suggestion a shot.

Thanks for your help.

Mark Frost

First of all, you wrote:
> [...]

(It was suggested to me that I could install the GNU installer.  I tried
that, but it had no effect on this issue.)

In between build attempts, I've completely removed the gcc directory and
re-extracted it from the gcc*.gz file just to make sure I start from a
consistent state as "make distclean" does not seem to leave things in
exactly the same state as the extracted distribution (for instance, all the
platform-specific files and dirs are still there).

When I run through the "make bootstrap", it runs for hours and appears to go
through at least one stage of the compiler build and craps out with the
following:

	stamp-h.in              ..linked
	checking for Cygwin environment... (cached) no
	checking for mingw32 environment... (cached) no
	configure: error: can not find install-sh or install.sh in . ./..
./../..
	$

[...]

The information contained in this communication is confidential, is intended
only for the use of the recipient named above, and may be legally
privileged. If the reader of this message is not the intended recipient, you
are hereby notified that any dissemination,
distribution, or copying of this communication is strictly prohibited. If
you have received this communication in error, please re-send this

@ 2002-09-25  8:43 Frost Mark - mfrost