* Re: Doubts about GCC project advancement (Demangler).
       [not found] ` <ri65yq977q2.fsf@suse.cz>
@ 2022-01-25  7:43   ` Krishna Narayanan
From: Krishna Narayanan @ 2022-01-25  7:43 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Martin Jambor; +Cc: gcc-help

Respected Sir,
Thanks for your reply.
I will build the trunk version of gcc right away.
I have had interest in the C/C++/Java since sometime and working on it
seems great.
Demangler is a term which I am not familiar with but function
overloading,constructors, polymorphism are those which I am used to.After
googling things out I now have a basic idea of Demangler/mangler terms.
I went through some material of extern C and implicit stacks which has(
LIFO).But I don't know the in depth mechanism that happens within the
compiler regarding stacks where can I read more about it?
I went through the C memory management which states about dss,stack,heap
which gave me a brief idea about the domain,I read the demangling
chapter:28 of gcc docs,which states about the actual code(program) but not
familiar with ABI,abi.h so I have to go through it once.The project idea
demands a explicit stacks where the number of stack,stack frame are not
sure,so there is going to be heap memory mismanagement.So how do I proceed
to work on this!?
What are basic terminologies(code base) and concepts which I should be
familiar with to work on this project?
Can I work on this project ?
Hoping for your reply soon.
Thanks and regards,
Krishna Narayanan.

On Mon, Jan 24, 2022, 3:53 PM Martin Jambor <mjambor@suse.cz> wrote:

> Hello,
>
> I am delighted you found contributing to GCC interesting.  Sorry for the
> delay in replying.
>
> I am adding the GCC mailing list in case other GCC developers have
> something to add to my reply.  It is usually a good idea to email the
> list and not an individual, if only because most of the community is
> better at timely replies than I am.
>
> On Wed, Jan 19 2022, Krishna wrote:
> > Respected Sir,
> >
> > Hello,I am Krishna Narayanan ,an undergraduate pursuing electronics and
> > telecommunications,I am a beginner and new to this community.I kicked
> > off by building the gcc from source and I have successfully build the
> > gcc 10.1 on my linux which had a default of gcc-9.3.0.
>
> If you want to contribute new features (as opposed to fixing old bugs),
> you should really check-out the current development version (master) from
> our git and build that.  If you managed to build gcc 10 from the
> sources, you should find it easy.  But in order to study the sources to
> plan your project, it is important to look at the current version.
>
> Although git master is a moving target, usually that is generally not a
> problem and until approximately April we are now in bug-fixing stage
> only, so it really should not be a concern.  Later, if there are any big
> changes in an area related to your GSoC project, your mentor will help
> you overcome it.
>
> > I was surfing for
> > projects but GCC caught my attention as I was familiar with the
> > technologies and eager to learn more in depth about the compiler.
> >
> > I am not familiar with many terms but trying to cope up with it.
>
> This might not be easy but perhaps there is still time to learn the
> important basics, depending on the area in which you'd like to work.
>
> In most cases, you would need at least to know what an Intermediate
> Language (IR) is and have a general understanding of the relevant one in
> GCC - which is probably Gimple or the representation used by the
> front-end (such as Fortran or Rust) if you decide to contribute to one.
>
> The "Make cp-demangle non-recursive" project requires "just" good
> working knowledge of C and how to implement a recursion driven by an
> explicit stack.
>
> > I went
> > through last year projects read about their definitions what they meant
> > and what was modified/changed for a better enhancement but I did'nt get
> > a grasp over it as I have just started. Can you suggest me some good
> > first issues,
>
> No unfortunately I cannot.  Perhaps someone else might.  But I am afraid
> there are not very many open easy issues in GCC.  Easy issues get fixed
> quickly.
>
> But if you have a specific question abut any particular term or problem,
> feel free to ask on the mailing list.  It might even help us to phrase
> it better on our wiki.

> [...]

only message in thread, other threads:[~2022-01-25  7:44 UTC | newest]