* A priori profile optimization
@ 2020-12-07  4:36 NightStrike
From: NightStrike @ 2020-12-07  4:36 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: gcc-help

Is there a way to get gcc to tell you if it could optimize better with
profiling information? In other words, it'd be nice to know how much,
roughly speaking, profile based optimization would have an effect before
going through the trouble of setting it up. Like, if gcc could say, "just
fyi, i could make this loop potentially twice as fast if you give me a
profile to work with". Or, "yeah, even with a profile, that function won't
get much better."

If it could tell me next week's lottery numbers, too, that'd be great.
Maybe that's easier :)

* Re: A priori profile optimization
@ 2021-04-14 17:01 ` NightStrike
From: NightStrike @ 2021-04-14 17:01 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: gcc-help

On Sun, Dec 6, 2020, 18:36 NightStrike <nightstrike@gmail.com> wrote:

> Is there a way to get gcc to tell you if it could optimize better with
> profiling information? In other words, it'd be nice to know how much,
> roughly speaking, profile based optimization would have an effect before
> going through the trouble of setting it up. Like, if gcc could say, "just
> fyi, i could make this loop potentially twice as fast if you give me a
> profile to work with". Or, "yeah, even with a profile, that function won't
> get much better."
>
> If it could tell me next week's lottery numbers, too, that'd be great.
> Maybe that's easier :)

Just wondering if this is possible.