* Interpreting -fmem-report
@ 2022-01-04 20:08 Tom Kacvinsky
From: Tom Kacvinsky @ 2022-01-04 20:08 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: gcc-help

Hi all,

I am interested in -fmem-report to help diagnose an issue
with memory thrashing during a parallel build.  Ech separate
compilation if and of itself is not enough to cause the thrash,
but when they're added up over a parallel compile, things go
south.

So I want to collect total memory usage of GCC during a
compilation and then sum them over the last 16 or so GCC
invocations we have.  But I am having a hard time figuring
out the total usage.  I see nothing obvious.  Any hints?

Thanks,

Tom

* Re: Interpreting -fmem-report
@ 2022-01-04 21:09 ` Jonathan Wakely
From: Jonathan Wakely @ 2022-01-04 21:09 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Tom Kacvinsky; +Cc: gcc-help

On Tue, 4 Jan 2022, 20:10 Tom Kacvinsky via Gcc-help, <gcc-help@gcc.gnu.org>
wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> I am interested in -fmem-report to help diagnose an issue
> with memory thrashing during a parallel build.  Ech separate
> compilation if and of itself is not enough to cause the thrash,
> but when they're added up over a parallel compile, things go
> south.
>
> So I want to collect total memory usage of GCC during a
> compilation and then sum them over the last 16 or so GCC
> invocations we have.  But I am having a hard time figuring
> out the total usage.  I see nothing obvious.  Any hints?

-ftime-report gives a simple total.

* Re: Interpreting -fmem-report
@ 2022-01-04 23:32   ` Tom Kacvinsky
From: Tom Kacvinsky @ 2022-01-04 23:32 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Jonathan Wakely; +Cc: gcc-help

On Tue, Jan 4, 2022 at 4:09 PM Jonathan Wakely <jwakely.gcc@gmail.com> wrote:

> On Tue, 4 Jan 2022, 20:10 Tom Kacvinsky via Gcc-help, <gcc-help@gcc.gnu.org> wrote:

 <snip>

>> So I want to collect total memory usage of GCC during a
>> compilation and then sum them over the last 16 or so GCC
>> invocations we have.  But I am having a hard time figuring
>> out the total usage.  I see nothing obvious.  Any hints?
>

> -ftime-report gives a simple total.

Great, thanks!

Tom