* Why ld options are not listed in GCC manual?
@ 2022-02-23 11:55 江 阴一哥
From: 江 阴一哥 @ 2022-02-23 11:55 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: gcc-help

Dear all:
    I am reading the GCC manual recently and find that ld options are not listed there but in Options - Untitled (sourceware.org)<http://sourceware.org/binutils/docs-2.16/ld/Options.html>. So why? Doesn't ld belong to GCC? There isn't even a hyperlink on the page. I also want to know why does the GCC linker name ld?
    Looking forward to your reply. Thank you.

* Re: Why ld options are not listed in GCC manual?
@ 2022-02-23 11:59 ` Jonathan Wakely
From: Jonathan Wakely @ 2022-02-23 11:59 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 江 阴一哥; +Cc: gcc-help

On Wed, 23 Feb 2022 at 11:56, 江 阴一哥 via Gcc-help <gcc-help@gcc.gnu.org> wrote:

> Dear all:
>     I am reading the GCC manual recently and find that ld options are not listed there but in Options - Untitled (sourceware.org)<http://sourceware.org/binutils/docs-2.16/ld/Options.html>. So why? Doesn't ld belong to GCC?

No, ld does not belong to GCC. On a typical linux system ld comes from
the binutils package, so that's why it's documented there. On other
systems such as Solaris it is provided by the OS, and the binutils
version can be installed as an optional extra. GCC doesn't provide ld
but just uses the ld that is already present on the system.

> There isn't even a hyperlink on the page. I also want to know why does the GCC linker name ld?

GCC doesn't name it that, UNIX does. The name 'ld' is much older than GCC.