* How can I send a patch to libstdc++-v3 about a small mistake
@ 2023-07-04 16:43 =?gb18030?B?0P3XqruqtvvXyA==?=
From: =?gb18030?B?0P3XqruqtvvXyA==?= @ 2023-07-04 16:43 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: =?gb18030?B?Z2NjLWhlbHA=?=

[-- Attachment #1: Type: text/plain; charset="gb18030", Size: 1117 bytes --]

Hello all

I found a small mistake while looking at the code of libstdc++-v3 on GitHub. link: gcc/libstdc++-v3 at master ¡¤ gcc-mirror/gcc (github.com). And the wiki of GitHub repo shows that pull requests sent to this repository will be ignored and should be contributed upstream instead.

So, I want to send a patch to upstream. But I have not contributed code before. I have no idea what I should do, and I have some questions below.

Should I subscribe to mailing lists like gcc-help, gcc-patches and libstdc++ before sending a patch?
Should I just send the patch to mailing list gcc-patches and libstdc++?
After I send the patch to mailing list, if there anyone will send email to me about the result or all I should do is wait a commit in git://gcc.gnu.org/git/gcc.git?
What else should I do? like testing, documentation changes. I think this is a small mistake fix, this is not needed.
Should I send patch email using git send-email rather than email website like Gmail?

If there is anything you think I should know, you can just write it in email or give me a link. I'm happy to know.

Thanks
Tianqiang Shuai

* Re: How can I send a patch to libstdc++-v3 about a small mistake
@ 2023-07-04 16:48 ` Jonathan Wakely
From: Jonathan Wakely @ 2023-07-04 16:48 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 旋转华尔兹; +Cc: gcc-help

On Tue, 4 Jul 2023 at 17:43, 旋转华尔兹 <i@shuaitq.com> wrote:

> Hello all
>
> I found a small mistake while looking at the code of libstdc++-v3 on GitHub. link: gcc/libstdc++-v3 at master · gcc-mirror/gcc (github.com). And the wiki of GitHub repo shows that pull requests sent to this repository will be ignored and should be contributed upstream instead.
>
> So, I want to send a patch to upstream. But I have not contributed code before. I have no idea what I should do, and I have some questions below.
>
> Should I subscribe to mailing lists like gcc-help, gcc-patches and libstdc++ before sending a patch?

No, that's not necessary.

> Should I just send the patch to mailing list gcc-patches and libstdc++?

Yes.

> After I send the patch to mailing list, if there anyone will send email to me about the result or all I should do is wait a commit in git://gcc.gnu.org/git/gcc.git?

You will get replies to your email.

> What else should I do? like testing, documentation changes. I think this is a small mistake fix, this is not needed.

It depends on the patch.

> Should I send patch email using git send-email rather than email website like Gmail?

Ideally yes, but it's not necessary. If you use Gmail, you get better
results attaching the patch rather than pasting it into the email
body. And it's easier if the patch file has a .txt extension so that
Gmail sends it as text/plain not some other mime type.

> If there is anything you think I should know, you can just write it in email or give me a link. I'm happy to know.

See the "contributing" link on the GCC home page, which takes you to
https://gcc.gnu.org/contribute.html