* MacBook Pro M1
@ 2022-01-13  1:53 Marina Marjanovic
From: Marina Marjanovic @ 2022-01-13  1:53 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: gcc-help

Hi,

My name is Marina Marjanovic and I am currently working on my master degree and I need gcc7 to make it work with MESH( https://wiki.usask.ca/pages/viewpage.action?pageId=1935648493 ). But I had a MacBook air 2015 and everything was working fine, so I got a new MacBook pro M1 and nothing is working anymore.

I have some issues with gcc on a new MacBook Pro, ship M1 pro. I need gcc7, but I have an error message saying : gcc@7: The x86_64 architecture is required for this software.

And the new version of gcc11, is not working with MESH….
I am wondering what can I do to make it work? Can you help me?

Thank you for your time,
Have a good day

Marina

* Re: MacBook Pro M1
@ 2022-01-13  8:18 ` Jonathan Wakely
From: Jonathan Wakely @ 2022-01-13  8:18 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Marina Marjanovic; +Cc: gcc-help

On Thu, 13 Jan 2022, 01:55 Marina Marjanovic via Gcc-help, <
gcc-help@gcc.gnu.org> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> My name is Marina Marjanovic and I am currently working on my master
> degree and I need gcc7 to make it work with MESH(
> https://wiki.usask.ca/pages/viewpage.action?pageId=1935648493 ). But I
> had a MacBook air 2015 and everything was working fine, so I got a new
> MacBook pro M1 and nothing is working anymore.
>
> I have some issues with gcc on a new MacBook Pro, ship M1 pro. I need
> gcc7, but I have an error message saying : gcc@7: The x86_64 architecture
> is required for this software.
>
> And the new version of gcc11, is not working with MESH….
> I am wondering what can I do to make it work? Can you help me?

GCC 7 is no longer supported or maintained, so it's not going to get
updated to work on the new Apple M1 systems. GCC 10 is the oldest release
series that will work on M1 right now.

You should try to reach out to the MESH folks for a solution (it might be
that it would run under Rosetta 2 - so that intel install can be made on
the M1) - of course that’s not going to be the best performance. Or maybe
they can fix it to make it work with a recent GCC.