* Simple C compiler
@ 2021-10-04  3:33 Bill Cunningham
From: Bill Cunningham @ 2021-10-04  3:33 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: gcc-help

Well I do see that the configure script wanted --disable-multilib in
order to work. Also as compilation progressed I do see what I believed,
some of gcc is written in C++. So you will need that I see, if I didn't
have it. There was a warning concerning only C being in the
--enable-languages switch but nothing broke there.

     I stopped compilation and will add --disable-nls, --disable-lto,
and try again. Much to do in compiling a simple C compiler. And maybe
--without-libquadmath since there will be no fortran.

Bill

* Re: Simple C compiler
@ 2021-10-04  4:59 ` J Decker
From: J Decker @ 2021-10-04  4:59 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Bill Cunningham; +Cc: gcc-help

https://github.com/open-watcom/open-watcom-v2/tree/master/bld/cc/c as an
alternative there is also openwatcom.
or I guess https://github.com/drh/lcc although I've not used this; seemed
almost like a compiler lacking a linker...

On Sun, Oct 3, 2021 at 8:33 PM Bill Cunningham via Gcc-help <
gcc-help@gcc.gnu.org> wrote:

> Well I do see that the configure script wanted --disable-multilib in
> order to work. Also as compilation progressed I do see what I believed,
> some of gcc is written in C++. So you will need that I see, if I didn't
> have it. There was a warning concerning only C being in the
> --enable-languages switch but nothing broke there.
>
>      I stopped compilation and will add --disable-nls, --disable-lto,
> and try again. Much to do in compiling a simple C compiler. And maybe
> --without-libquadmath since there will be no fortran.
>
> Bill

* Re: Simple C compiler
@ 2021-10-04  5:02   ` Dan Kegel
From: Dan Kegel @ 2021-10-04  5:02 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: J Decker; +Cc: Bill Cunningham, gcc-help

And then there's http://www.tinycc.org !
- Dan

On Sun, Oct 3, 2021 at 9:56 PM J Decker via Gcc-help
<gcc-help@gcc.gnu.org> wrote:

> https://github.com/open-watcom/open-watcom-v2/tree/master/bld/cc/c as an
> alternative there is also openwatcom.
> or I guess https://github.com/drh/lcc although I've not used this; seemed
> almost like a compiler lacking a linker...
>

> On Sun, Oct 3, 2021 at 8:33 PM Bill Cunningham via Gcc-help <
> gcc-help@gcc.gnu.org> wrote:
>
> > Well I do see that the configure script wanted --disable-multilib in
> > order to work. Also as compilation progressed I do see what I believed,
> > some of gcc is written in C++. So you will need that I see, if I didn't
> > have it. There was a warning concerning only C being in the
> > --enable-languages switch but nothing broke there.
> >
> >      I stopped compilation and will add --disable-nls, --disable-lto,
> > and try again. Much to do in compiling a simple C compiler. And maybe
> > --without-libquadmath since there will be no fortran.
> >
> > Bill

* Re: Simple C compiler
@ 2021-10-04  5:44     ` Anthony de Almeida Lopes
From: Anthony de Almeida Lopes @ 2021-10-04  5:44 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: gcc-help

And pcc

http://pcc.ludd.ltu.se/

On 10/4/21 7:02 AM, Dan Kegel wrote:
> And then there's http://www.tinycc.org !
> - Dan
>
> On Sun, Oct 3, 2021 at 9:56 PM J Decker via Gcc-help
> <gcc-help@gcc.gnu.org> wrote:
>> https://github.com/open-watcom/open-watcom-v2/tree/master/bld/cc/c as an
>> alternative there is also openwatcom.
>> or I guess https://github.com/drh/lcc although I've not used this; seemed
>> almost like a compiler lacking a linker...
>>

>> On Sun, Oct 3, 2021 at 8:33 PM Bill Cunningham via Gcc-help <
>> gcc-help@gcc.gnu.org> wrote:
>>
>>> Well I do see that the configure script wanted --disable-multilib in
>>> order to work. Also as compilation progressed I do see what I believed,
>>> some of gcc is written in C++. So you will need that I see, if I didn't
>>> have it. There was a warning concerning only C being in the
>>> --enable-languages switch but nothing broke there.
>>>
>>>       I stopped compilation and will add --disable-nls, --disable-lto,
>>> and try again. Much to do in compiling a simple C compiler. And maybe
>>> --without-libquadmath since there will be no fortran.
>>>
>>> Bill

* Re: Simple C compiler
@ 2021-10-04  6:41 ` Jonathan Wakely
From: Jonathan Wakely @ 2021-10-04  6:41 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Bill Cunningham; +Cc: gcc-help

On Mon, 4 Oct 2021, 04:34 Bill Cunningham via Gcc-help, <
gcc-help@gcc.gnu.org> wrote:

> Well I do see that the configure script wanted --disable-multilib in
> order to work. Also as compilation progressed I do see what I believed,
> some of gcc is written in C++. So you will need that I see, if I didn't
> have it. There was a warning concerning only C being in the
> --enable-languages switch but nothing broke there.
>
>      I stopped compilation and will add --disable-nls, --disable-lto,
> and try again. Much to do in compiling a simple C compiler. And maybe
> --without-libquadmath since there will be no fortran.

--disable-libsanitizer
--disable-libcc1

But as others have said, there are better choices than GCC for your
purposes.

> Bill

* Re: Simple C compiler
@ 2021-10-04 15:16       ` Dan Kegel
From: Dan Kegel @ 2021-10-04 15:16 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Anthony de Almeida Lopes; +Cc: gcc-help

Oh, yes, PCC has the right pedigree, too!

Anthony de Almeida Lopes via Gcc-help <gcc-help@gcc.gnu.org> schrieb am
So., 3. Okt. 2021, 22:45:

> And pcc
>
> http://pcc.ludd.ltu.se/
>

> On 10/4/21 7:02 AM, Dan Kegel wrote:
> > And then there's http://www.tinycc.org !
> > - Dan
> >
> > On Sun, Oct 3, 2021 at 9:56 PM J Decker via Gcc-help
> > <gcc-help@gcc.gnu.org> wrote:
> >> https://github.com/open-watcom/open-watcom-v2/tree/master/bld/cc/c as
> an
> >> alternative there is also openwatcom.
> >> or I guess https://github.com/drh/lcc although I've not used this;
> seemed
> >> almost like a compiler lacking a linker...

* Re: Simple C compiler
@ 2021-10-04 19:00   ` Vladimir Makarov
From: Vladimir Makarov @ 2021-10-04 19:00 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: J Decker, Bill Cunningham; +Cc: gcc-help

On 2021-10-04 12:59 a.m., J Decker via Gcc-help wrote:
> https://github.com/open-watcom/open-watcom-v2/tree/master/bld/cc/c as an
> alternative there is also openwatcom.
> or I guess https://github.com/drh/lcc although I've not used this; seemed
> almost like a compiler lacking a linker...

The following link contains comparison of 9 C compilers on generated
code performance, compiler speed, and compiler size:

https://developers.redhat.com/blog/2021/04/27/the-mir-c-interpreter-and-just-in-time-jit-compiler#how_the_mir_c_compiler_compares_with_other_c_compilers

* Re: Simple C compiler
@ 2021-10-04 19:30     ` Dan Kegel
From: Dan Kegel @ 2021-10-04 19:30 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Vladimir Makarov; +Cc: J Decker, Bill Cunningham, gcc-help

And then if you're interested in bootstrapping from zero, I think there are
a few tiny c compilers written in Forth!

e.g. maybe
https://groups.google.com/g/comp.lang.forth/c/lBYFfVJ1qhc
- Dan

Vladimir Makarov via Gcc-help <gcc-help@gcc.gnu.org> schrieb am Mo., 4.
Okt. 2021, 12:03:

@ 2021-10-04 20:23       ` Anthony de Almeida Lopes
From: Anthony de Almeida Lopes @ 2021-10-04 20:23 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: gcc-help

On 10/4/21 9:30 PM, Dan Kegel wrote:
> And then if you're interested in bootstrapping from zero, I think there are
> a few tiny c compilers written in Forth!

There's also GNU Mes [1] and the bootstrappable [2] stuff for that. They
maintain a version of GCC 4.7 for that purpose.

1. https://www.gnu.org/software/mes/

2. https://bootstrappable.org/projects.html