* GCC link error help!
@ 2021-10-11  3:23 桂永林
From: 桂永林 @ 2021-10-11  3:23 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: gcc-help, gcc; +Cc: 李闯闯, 柳茂昕

Hello GCC,
  we use gcc compiler to complile my project on windows10 system, but it always report bellow error:

c:/program files (x86)/gnu tools arm embedded/7 2018-q2-update/bin/../lib/gcc/arm-none-eabi/7.3.1/../../../../arm-none-eabi/bin/ld.exe: cannot find -lgh3x2x_drv_co
collect2.exe: error: ld returned 1 exit status
make: *** [makefile:151: wd6110a.elf] Error 1

 It seems that the link can not fond some lib, but the real reason is that the project path and source code file on windows environment is too long. But,if we use the same GCC version to compile my project on Linux enviroment, it can compile sucess. The GCC compiler and source code we used on Linux is same with Windos.
 We don't know how the GCC restict the path lenth and source code file number on Windows, so we need your help us how to fix this problem?
Thanks!
OperaGui

* Re: GCC link error help!
@ 2021-10-11  5:10 ` Tom Kacvinsky
From: Tom Kacvinsky @ 2021-10-11  5:10 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 桂永林
  Cc: gcc-help, 柳茂昕, 李闯闯

Meant to reply all, but remove the gcc list as this is really a gcc-help
list question.
My answer is below.

On Sun, Oct 10, 2021 at 11:23 PM 桂永林 <guiyonglin@huaqin.com> wrote:

> Hello GCC,
>   we use gcc compiler to complile my project on windows10 system, but it
> always report bellow error:
>

> c:/program files (x86)/gnu tools arm embedded/7
> 2018-q2-update/bin/../lib/gcc/arm-none-eabi/7.3.1/../../../../arm-none-eabi/bin/ld.exe:
> cannot find -lgh3x2x_drv_co
> collect2.exe: error: ld returned 1 exit status
> make: *** [makefile:151: wd6110a.elf] Error 1
>

>  It seems that the link can not fond some lib, but the real reason is that
> the project path and source code file on windows environment is too long.
> But,if we use the same GCC version to compile my project on Linux
> enviroment, it can compile sucess. The GCC compiler and source code we used
> on Linux is same with Windos.
>  We don't know how the GCC restict the path lenth and source code file
> number on Windows, so we need your help us how to fix this problem?
> Thanks!
> OperaGui

From the GCC man page, you can use the @file option to gcc.  This can be a
file that
contains your include and link directory paths, etc....  This way, you will
not exceed the
argument list size limit.

@file
           Read command-line options from file.  The options read are
           inserted in place of the original @file option.  If file does
           not exist, or cannot be read, then the option will be treated
           literally, and not removed.

           Options in file are separated by whitespace.  A whitespace
           character may be included in an option by surrounding the
           entire option in either single or double quotes.  Any
           character (including a backslash) may be included by
           prefixing the character to be included with a backslash.  The
           file may itself contain additional @file options; any such
           options will be processed recursively.

Tom

* Re: GCC link error help!
@ 2021-10-11  6:43   ` LIU Hao
From: LIU Hao @ 2021-10-11  6:43 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Tom Kacvinsky, 桂永林
  Cc: gcc-help, 柳茂昕, 李闯闯

在 10/11/21 1:10 PM, Tom Kacvinsky via Gcc-help 写道:

>>   It seems that the link can not fond some lib, but the real reason is that
>> the project path and source code file on windows environment is too long.
>> But,if we use the same GCC version to compile my project on Linux
>> enviroment, it can compile sucess. The GCC compiler and source code we used
>> on Linux is same with Windos.
>>   We don't know how the GCC restict the path lenth and source code file

The conventional DOS path has a hard limit of 259 characters: 3 for the drive letter and immediate
colon-slash, and 256 for the path itself. (If the null terminator is counted then it's 260
characters, which is exactly the value of `PATH_MAX`.)

The simple solution is to move the toolchain to somewhere shallower, apparently.

The permanent solution to this problem would be using UNC paths. For example, instead of writing
`C:\Windows`, you write `\\?\C:\Windows`. This makes use of a 64KiB buffer, but please note Windows
NT uses UTF-16 paths, so the length limit of a path is 32767 UTF-16 code units.

--
Best regards,
LIU Hao

* Re:  Re: GCC link error help!
@ 2021-10-11  7:57     ` 桂永林
From: 桂永林 @ 2021-10-11  7:57 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: LIU Hao, Tom Kacvinsky
  Cc: gcc-help, 柳茂昕, 李闯闯

Hellow Tom and Liu Hao,
  Thanks for your quickly and warmly reply!!! We will try to discuss with our customer to try these suggested mesthods to resolve this proble.
Thanks again!
Operagui

在 10/11/21 1:10 PM, Tom Kacvinsky via Gcc-help 写道:

>> It seems that the link can not fond some lib, but the real reason is that
>> the project path and source code file on windows environment is too long.
>> But,if we use the same GCC version to compile my project on Linux
>> enviroment, it can compile sucess. The GCC compiler and source code we used
>> on Linux is same with Windos.
>> We don't know how the GCC restict the path lenth and source code file

The conventional DOS path has a hard limit of 259 characters: 3 for the drive letter and immediate
colon-slash, and 256 for the path itself. (If the null terminator is counted then it's 260
characters, which is exactly the value of `PATH_MAX`.)

The simple solution is to move the toolchain to somewhere shallower, apparently.

The permanent solution to this problem would be using UNC paths. For example, instead of writing
`C:\Windows`, you write `\\?\C:\Windows`. This makes use of a 64KiB buffer, but please note Windows
NT uses UTF-16 paths, so the length limit of a path is 32767 UTF-16 code units.

--
Best regards,
LIU Hao

* GCC link problem help!
@ 2021-10-20 14:53     ` 桂永林
From: 桂永林 @ 2021-10-20 14:53 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: LIU Hao, Tom Kacvinsky
  Cc: gcc-help, 柳茂昕, 李闯闯,
	汤汝

Hellow Tom and Liu Hao,
   We encounter another GCC link problem. Our hardware is cotex-M33 platform,  our software project development on windows environment and use GCC compiler and the gcc-linker as bellow:

   gcc version 7.3.1 20180622 (release) [ARM/embedded-7-branch revision 261907] (GNU Tools for Arm Embedded Processors 7-2018-q2-update)

   GCC: GNU ISO C11  7 2018-q2-update

   GCC parameter:  -std=gnu11

   gcc-linker parameter: --specs=nano.specs --specs=nosys.specs

   Our project need link a C++ static lib into our project. The C++ lib build enviroment as bellow:
   G++:GNU ISO 2011 C++
   G++ parameter:-std=gnu++11 -fabi-version=0 -fno-exceptions -fno-rtti -fno-use-cxa-atexit -fno-non-call-exceptions

   But we found that if we linked the C++ static lib to our program, then the program have runtime logic problem sometimes. If we do not link the C++ lib, it can run well. We can not understand why the reason. We guess, if maybe some gcc linker parameter need used when we need link the C++ lib?
   Can you give us some suggest about how to fix this problem!

Best regards,
Operagui

* Re: GCC link problem help!
@ 2021-10-20 16:17       ` Xi Ruoyao
From: Xi Ruoyao @ 2021-10-20 16:17 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 桂永林, LIU Hao, Tom Kacvinsky
  Cc: gcc-help, 柳茂昕, 李闯闯,
	汤汝

On Wed, 2021-10-20 at 22:53 +0800, 桂永林 wrote:
> Hellow Tom and Liu Hao,
>    We encounter another GCC link problem. Our hardware is cotex-M33
> platform,  our software project development on windows environment and
> use GCC compiler and the gcc-linker as bellow:
>

>    gcc version 7.3.1 20180622 (release) [ARM/embedded-7-branch
> revision 261907] (GNU Tools for Arm Embedded Processors 7-2018-q2-
> update)
>
>    GCC: GNU ISO C11  7 2018-q2-update
>
>    GCC parameter:  -std=gnu11
>
>    gcc-linker parameter: --specs=nano.specs --specs=nosys.specs
>
>    Our project need link a C++ static lib into our project. The C++
> lib build enviroment as bellow:
>    G++:GNU ISO 2011 C++
>    G++ parameter:-std=gnu++11 -fabi-version=0 -fno-exceptions -fno-
> rtti -fno-use-cxa-atexit -fno-non-call-exceptions
>

>    But we found that if we linked the C++ static lib to our program,
> then the program have runtime logic problem sometimes. If we do not
> link the C++ lib, it can run well. We can not understand why the
> reason. We guess, if maybe some gcc linker parameter need used when we
> need link the C++ lib?

>    Can you give us some suggest about how to fix this problem!

I think it will be very difficult to tell.  Maybe there is some
undefined behavior (for example, out-of-bound access) in your program
and linking in libstdc++ just changes the memory layout or something and
exploits the issue.  The undefined behavior may be even triggered by
some hardware problem for a embedded system...  (I once debugged my
program for one day and then found out one capacitor was simply too
small!)
--
Xi Ruoyao <xry111@mengyan1223.wang>

* Re:  Re: GCC link problem help!
@ 2021-10-21  3:36         ` 桂永林
From: 桂永林 @ 2021-10-21  3:36 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Xi Ruoyao, LIU Hao, Tom Kacvinsky
  Cc: gcc-help, 柳茂昕, 李闯闯,
	汤汝

Hello Xi Ruoyao,
   Thanks for your reply! I can confirm that our hardware can work well, since if I link another C lib to replace the C++ lib with same function, the program can work well. So, I guess this problem maybe related with my c++ lib, and the only difference is that the c++ lib is build by G++ and g++linker.
   If there is some special parameter we need check, when we link the c++ lib to C program with C linker?
Thanks!
Best regards,
Operagui

@ 2021-10-21 12:04           ` Xi Ruoyao
From: Xi Ruoyao @ 2021-10-21 12:04 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 桂永林, LIU Hao, Tom Kacvinsky
  Cc: gcc-help, 柳茂昕, 李闯闯,
	汤汝

On Thu, 2021-10-21 at 11:36 +0800, 桂永林 wrote:
> If there is some special parameter we need check, when we link the c++
> lib to C program with C linker?

-lstdc++ is enough as you've already disabled exception and rtti.  If
exception or rtti is used, -lsupc++ is also needed.

But missing them should cause a linker error instead of runtime issue..

--

@ 2021-10-21 12:34             ` Jonathan Wakely
       [not found]               ` <617231DF.3080808@huaqin.com>
From: Jonathan Wakely @ 2021-10-21 12:34 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Xi Ruoyao
  Cc: 桂永林,
	LIU Hao, Tom Kacvinsky, gcc-help, 柳茂昕,
	李闯闯, 汤汝

On Thu, 21 Oct 2021 at 13:06, Xi Ruoyao via Gcc-help
<gcc-help@gcc.gnu.org> wrote:

> On Thu, 2021-10-21 at 11:36 +0800, 桂永林 wrote:
> > If there is some special parameter we need check, when we link the c++
> > lib to C program with C linker?
>
> -lstdc++ is enough as you've already disabled exception and rtti.  If
> exception or rtti is used, -lsupc++ is also needed.

No, everything in libsupc++ is also included in libstdc++ so you do
not need both.

libsupc++ is for when you *only* want the language support, not the
library utilities like iostreams, std::string, std::list etc.

But libsupc++ is not just for exceptions and RTTI, it's also new and
delete, and initialization of local static variables. So if you
haven't used -lstdc++ then you need -lsupc++ to be able to use those
basic features. If you have used -lstdc++, you don't need -lsupc++ for
anything.

If you simply use g++ to link instead of gcc then you get -lstdc++
automatically. That's the recommended way to link a program that has
C++ components.

Since you've only told us that "the program have runtime logic problem
sometimes" nobody can really help you. That's too vague for us to know
what the problem is.

* Re:  Re: Re: GCC link problem help!
@ 2021-10-22  3:37               ` 桂永林
       [not found]               ` <617231DF.3080808@huaqin.com>
From: 桂永林 @ 2021-10-22  3:37 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Jonathan Wakely, Xi Ruoyao
  Cc: LIU Hao, Tom Kacvinsky, gcc-help, 柳茂昕,
	李闯闯, 汤汝

Hello Jonathan Wakely,

   Tanks for your explain about these parameter use! Now, we adjusted our paramter noly to use -lstdc++, and we use G++ to link our program. But our program still can  not work well, it sames that related with our program size. If we add any code to our project, it can cause the problem again.

抄送:"桂永林/图灵研究院软件三部/图灵研究院"<guiyonglin@huaqin.com>,"LIU Hao"<lh_mouse@126.com>,"Tom Kacvinsky"<tkacvins@gmail.com>,"gcc-help"<gcc-help@gcc.gnu.org>,"柳茂昕/图灵研究院软件三部/图灵研究院"<liumaoxin@huaqin.com>,"李闯闯/图灵研究院软件三部/图灵研究院"<lichuangchuang@huaqin.com>,"汤汝/图灵研究院软件三部/图灵研究院"<tangru@huaqin.com>

<gcc-help@gcc.gnu.org> wrote:

> On Thu, 2021-10-21 at 11:36 +0800, 桂永林 wrote:
> > If there is some special parameter we need check, when we link the c++
> > lib to C program with C linker?
>
> -lstdc++ is enough as you've already disabled exception and rtti. If
> exception or rtti is used, -lsupc++ is also needed.

No, everything in libsupc++ is also included in libstdc++ so you do
not need both.

libsupc++ is for when you *only* want the language support, not the
library utilities like iostreams, std::string, std::list etc.

But libsupc++ is not just for exceptions and RTTI, it's also new and
delete, and initialization of local static variables. So if you
haven't used -lstdc++ then you need -lsupc++ to be able to use those
basic features. If you have used -lstdc++, you don't need -lsupc++ for
anything.

If you simply use g++ to link instead of gcc then you get -lstdc++
automatically. That's the recommended way to link a program that has
C++ components.

Since you've only told us that "the program have runtime logic problem
sometimes" nobody can really help you. That's too vague for us to know
what the problem is.

* Re:  Re:  Re: Re: GCC link problem help!
       [not found]               ` <617231DF.3080808@huaqin.com>
@ 2021-10-22  3:39                 ` 桂永林
From: 桂永林 @ 2021-10-22  3:39 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Jonathan Wakely, Xi Ruoyao
  Cc: LIU Hao, Tom Kacvinsky, gcc-help, 柳茂昕,
	李闯闯, 汤汝

Hello Jonathan Wakely,

    It is my fault to not clearly say our program logic error!

    The problem is that our lcd can not display. Since the C++ lib is our UI display module, if the problem occored, the lcd can not display.

Thanks!
Best regards,
Operagui

抄送:"LIU Hao"<lh_mouse@126.com>,"Tom Kacvinsky"<tkacvins@gmail.com>,"gcc-help"<gcc-help@gcc.gnu.org>,"柳茂昕/图灵研究院软件三部/图灵研究院"<liumaoxin@huaqin.com>,"李闯闯/图灵研究院软件三部/图灵研究院"<lichuangchuang@huaqin.com>,"汤汝/图灵研究院软件三部/图灵研究院"<tangru@huaqin.com>

@ 2021-10-22  7:06                   ` Jonathan Wakely
From: Jonathan Wakely @ 2021-10-22  7:06 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 桂永林
  Cc: Xi Ruoyao, LIU Hao, Tom Kacvinsky, gcc-help,
	柳茂昕, 李闯闯,
	汤汝

On Fri, 22 Oct 2021, 04:39 桂永林, <guiyonglin@huaqin.com> wrote:

> Hello Jonathan Wakely,
>     It is my fault to not clearly say our program logic error!
>     The problem is that our lcd can not display. Since the C++ lib is our
> UI display module, if the problem occored, the lcd can not display.

Maybe you have bugs in your C++ library then.