* [External] [Valeo] Elf File Mismatch Hex File
@ 2021-11-29 13:32 Ahmed ABDELGAWAD-AHMED
From: Ahmed ABDELGAWAD-AHMED @ 2021-11-29 13:32 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: gcc-help; +Cc: Menna ELMADDAH, Ehab SAYED

Greetings,

I hope this email finds you well.

I have an issue while compiling and generating (.elf) file.
At the end of the (.elf) file we put 2 bytes CRC.
I found that the 2 bytes are not flashed correctly while using (.elf) file,
meanwhile the 2 bytes are flashed when using (.hex) file.
The (.elf) file symbols are used for debugging but the (.hex) file can not
be used for debugging.

These commands are used for generating (.elf) file:
$(EXECUTABLE_FILE): $(COBJECTS)
@echo $(SEPARATOR)
@echo Linking to $(EXECUTABLE_FILE)
@$(LD) -o $(EXECUTABLE_FILE) $(COBJECTS) $(LDFLAGS)

These commands are used for generating (.hex) file:
$(HEX_FILE): $(EXECUTABLE_FILE)
@objcopy -O ihex $(EXECUTABLE_FILE) $(HEX_FILE)
@Tools/HexView/hexview.exe $(HEX_FILE) /S /FA /AfFF /XI -o $(HEX_FILE)
@Tools/HexView/hexview.exe $(HEX_FILE) /AR:0x8000-0x1FFDF /S /CS13:@0x1FFE4
/XI -o app_crc.hex
@Tools/HexView/hexview.exe /MO:$(HEX_FILE)+app_crc.hex /s /XI -o $(HEX_FILE)
@rm -rf app_crc.hex

The CRC shall be flashed at address : 0x1FFE4

Can you help in this regard?

Thank you

*Ahmed Abd-Elgawad Elazazy*
Embedded Software Engineer
+20 01061914198
ahmed.abdelgawad-ahmed@valeo.com

VIAS EGYPT-Valeo InterBranch Automotive Software-
Smart Village, B 2207, 3rd Floor - 0000 -Cairo (EGYPT)
<https://valeo.com/>
[image: linkedin] <https://linkedin.com/company/valeo> [image: twitter]
<https://twitter.com/valeo_group> [image: youtube]
<https://youtube.com/user/ValeoGroup> [image: facebook]
<https://facebook.com/Valeo.Group/> [image: instagram]
<https://instagram.com/valeo_group>

--
*This e-mail message is intended for the internal use of the intended
recipient(s) only.

In the course of our business relationship and for business purposes
only, Valeo may need to process some of your personal data.
For more
information, please refer to the Valeo Data Protection Statement and
Privacy notice available on Valeo.com
<https://www.valeo.com/en/ethics-and-compliance/#principes>*

* Re: [External] [Valeo] Elf File Mismatch Hex File
@ 2021-11-29 13:59 ` Jonathan Wakely
From: Jonathan Wakely @ 2021-11-29 13:59 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Ahmed ABDELGAWAD-AHMED; +Cc: gcc-help, Menna ELMADDAH, Ehab SAYED

On Mon, 29 Nov 2021 at 13:35, Ahmed ABDELGAWAD-AHMED via Gcc-help
<gcc-help@gcc.gnu.org> wrote:

> Greetings,
>
> I hope this email finds you well.
>
> I have an issue while compiling and generating (.elf) file.
> At the end of the (.elf) file we put 2 bytes CRC.
> I found that the 2 bytes are not flashed correctly while using (.elf) file,
> meanwhile the 2 bytes are flashed when using (.hex) file.
> The (.elf) file symbols are used for debugging but the (.hex) file can not
> be used for debugging.
>
> These commands are used for generating (.elf) file:
> $(EXECUTABLE_FILE): $(COBJECTS)
> @echo $(SEPARATOR)
> @echo Linking to $(EXECUTABLE_FILE)
> @$(LD) -o $(EXECUTABLE_FILE) $(COBJECTS) $(LDFLAGS)

Those are not commands. Those are snippets of a makefile, with no context.

How are we supposed to know what your FDFLAGS variable contains, for example?

Anyway, none of this is relevant to GCC, because the linker and
objcopy are not part of GCC.

If you're using GNU binutils then maybe you want to ask on the
binutils mailing list instead.