* Building Linux x86_64 to AIX PowerPC cross-compiler
@ 2022-06-14 16:18 Paul Lucas
From: Paul Lucas @ 2022-06-14 16:18 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: gcc-help

Hi there -

I want to build a cross-compiler from Linux x86_64 (host) to AIX PowerPC (target).  Eventually, while building gcc, I get:

> collect2: fatal error: libgcc.a: cannot open as COFF file

While Linux uses ELF and AIX uses coff, I would have assumed that the binutils I built for the cross-compiler would have produced a linker that was able to link COFF files.

The configure for binutils was:

> configure --disable-gold --prefix=/aix-powerpc --disable-multilib --disable-nls --target=powerpc-ibm-aix7.1.0.0 --with-sysroot=/aix-powerpc --with-arch=powerpc --disable-werror --enable-plugins

where /aix-powerpc contains headers and libraries copied from a live AIX system.

Apparently back in 2016 on this same mailing list:

	https://gcc.gnu.org/legacy-ml/gcc-help/2016-10/msg00108.html

somebody was trying to build the same cross-compiler and got the same error.  Unfortunately, there’s no answer there. The only advice given was:

> Judicious use of "-v" can help spot calling the wrong linker, linking the wrong libraries, wrong header file include paths, etc.

Can anyone perhaps give a _little_ more help?

Thanks.

- Paul