* Problem launching gcc
@ 2023-04-28 18:15 Bernard Rich
From: Bernard Rich @ 2023-04-28 18:15 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: gcc-help

I unzipped gcc using WinZip 27.0 and cannot find the icon to launch gcc.
What is the correct procedure for unzipping and launching WinZip 27.0?
Thanks,
Bernard

* Re: Problem launching gcc
@ 2023-04-28 21:12 ` Jonathan Wakely
From: Jonathan Wakely @ 2023-04-28 21:12 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Bernard Rich; +Cc: gcc-help

On Fri, 28 Apr 2023 at 19:16, Bernard Rich via Gcc-help
<gcc-help@gcc.gnu.org> wrote:

> I unzipped gcc using WinZip 27.0 and cannot find the icon to launch gcc.

What do you mean you "unzipped gcc"?

What did you download? The GCC project does not provide binaries that
you can download and run, only source code to build GCC yourself. See
https://gcc.gnu.org/install/binaries.html

Even if you download a pre-built GCC from somewhere like
https://www.mingw-w64.org/ you won't find an icon to launch it,
because it's not a GUI program. You run GCC from the console, not by
clicking an icon.

* Re: Problem launching gcc
@ 2023-04-28 23:25   ` Bernard Rich
From: Bernard Rich @ 2023-04-28 23:25 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Jonathan Wakely; +Cc: gcc-help

Thanks. This is definitely different from the gcc that I used only a few
years ago, which DID have a GUI interface that was launched with an icon.
Sincerely,
Bernard

On Fri, Apr 28, 2023 at 4:13 PM Jonathan Wakely <jwakely.gcc@gmail.com>
wrote:

> On Fri, 28 Apr 2023 at 19:16, Bernard Rich via Gcc-help
> <gcc-help@gcc.gnu.org> wrote:
> >
> > I unzipped gcc using WinZip 27.0 and cannot find the icon to launch gcc.
>
> What do you mean you "unzipped gcc"?
>
> What did you download? The GCC project does not provide binaries that
> you can download and run, only source code to build GCC yourself. See
> https://gcc.gnu.org/install/binaries.html
>
> Even if you download a pre-built GCC from somewhere like
> https://www.mingw-w64.org/ you won't find an icon to launch it,
> because it's not a GUI program. You run GCC from the console, not by
> clicking an icon.

* Re: Problem launching gcc
@ 2023-04-29  6:54     ` Jonathan Wakely
From: Jonathan Wakely @ 2023-04-29  6:54 UTC (permalink / raw)