* Can't build gcc 3.2 on Solaris 8
@ 2002-08-26 13:22 Frost Mark - mfrost
From: Frost Mark - mfrost @ 2002-08-26 13:22 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 'gcc-help@gcc.gnu.org'

Hello.  I did a little bit of snooping around and I didn't see that this was
a problem anyone else mentioned having so I figured I'd send it to this
list.

I'm trying to build gcc 3.2 on a Sun Ultra Enterprise 4000 (sparc 8, I
believe) running Solaris 8.  I currently have gcc 3.0.2 installed which I'm
using to build the new gcc with.  I also have the GNU as and ld via binutils
2.1.3.  (I had a slightly older version which I tried this build with also,
but it made no difference).  I'm also using GNU make version 3.79 to build
gcc 3.2.  I have tried building with not specifying a shell and with using
CONFIG_SHELL=/bin/ksh which seems to have no effect.

As expected, config.guess shows "sparc-sun-solaris2.8".

I'm using the following to build with:

./configure --with-gnu-ld --with-gnu-as
make bootstrap
"make bootstrap" runs for quite a while, but eventually, I end up with:

v9.S            ..linked
types.c         ..linked
x86             ..working in
ffi.c           ..linked
sysv.S          ..linked
win32.S         ..linked
stamp-h.in              ..linked
checking for Cygwin environment... (cached) no
checking for mingw32 environment... (cached) no
configure: error: can not find install-sh or install.sh in . ./.. ./../..
make[1]: *** [configure-target-libffi] Error 1
make[1]: Leaving directory `/sysadmin/src/gcc-3.2'
make: *** [bootstrap] Error 2
$

Out of curiosity, I tried building the previous version of gcc (3.1 I
think?) and had virtually the same problem.

I own all files in this directory and underneath so it's not a permissions
issue.  The filesystem on which I'm building has lots of free space, so it's
not a space issue.

I'm stumped.  Any assistance you may be able to provide is greatly
appreciated.

Thanks

Mark Frost

named above, and may be legally privileged.
If the reader of this message is not the intended
distribution, or copying of this communication is strictly
prohibited.
please re-send this communication to the sender and
delete the original message or any copy of it from your
computer system. Thank You.

only message in thread, other threads:[~2002-08-26 20:22 UTC | newest]