* X-Compiler?
@ 2002-10-14  6:51 Premetz, Dan (MED)
From: Premetz, Dan (MED) @ 2002-10-14  6:51 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: gcc-help

We are currently building for a Linux platform (the "target" OS) on a
Linux platform (the "build" OS).  The goal is to settle on a stable
version of Linux and use the build machine only as a platform for
executing whatever versions of the GCC compiler we choose.  All headers
and libs used in the builds will be from the target OS version, not from
the build machine.

Questions:

   1.) Just so I get my syntax right, could the GCC compiler on the
build machine be referred to as a cross-compiler?  We're building for a
different version of the OS, not a different hardware platform.

   2.) Can the software development utilities be built so they don't use
shared libraries?  The versions of gcc and binutils which come with Red
Hat are tied to shared libraries which are installed as part of a
standard Red Hat load.  This means that gcc and binutils are dependent
on the version of the Linux OS on which they are executed.  This is
*exactly* what I'm trying to avoid.  I don't want to load *another*
build engine every time my compiler changes.

-DLP

only message in thread, other threads:[~2002-10-14 13:51 UTC | newest]