* Re: Installing gcc/g++: where did I go wrong?
@ 2000-05-09 10:37 George Adams
From: George Adams @ 2000-05-09 10:37 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: gcc-help

From your description, it would seem to me that compilation didn't
>finish successfully, and it ended up installing just what it had
>built.

Alexandre, I think you're right.  This procedure seemed to do the trick:

1) Build gcc using SunOS' native cc.  This builds gcc, but nothing else.

2) RE-build gcc using the gcc built in step 1.  This builds gcc, g++, everything else, and the appropriate libraries.

I don't know why the first step failed to build the full package, but at least I now seem to have a fully working package!  Thanks again for the help.

Before you buy.

* Re: Installing gcc/g++: where did I go wrong?
@ 2000-05-09  9:41 ` Alexandre Oliva
From: Alexandre Oliva @ 2000-05-09  9:41 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: learningapache; +Cc: gcc-help

On May  9, 2000, "George Adams" <learningapache@my-Deja.com> wrote:

> After many hours, the compilation and installation finished.

From your description, it would seem to me that compilation didn't
finish successfully, and it ended up installing just what it had
built.  Try `make bootstrap3' to make sure.  If this fails,
complaining that stage2/xgcc doesn't exist, try `make bootstrap2' or
just `make bootstrap' again.

--
Alexandre Oliva    Enjoy Guaraná, see http://www.ic.unicamp.br/~oliva/
Cygnus Solutions, a Red Hat company        aoliva@{redhat, cygnus}.com

* Installing gcc/g++: where did I go wrong?
@ 2000-05-09  7:51 George Adams
From: George Adams @ 2000-05-09  7:51 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: gcc-help

I THOUGHT I knew how to do this, and I thought the docs were pretty clear.  But after several hours of utterly failing to solve this, I'm turning to those who can probably easily figure out where I went wrong.

I'm trying to install gcc/g++ on a SunOS 5.6 box.  I downloaded the full gcc-2.95.tar.gz distribution (12meg), unpacked it into /tmp/gcc- 2.95, and did the following:

> cd /tmp
> mkdir gccobj
> cd gccobj
> ../gcc-2.95/configure --prefix=/home/gawhite/gcc
> make bootstrap
> make install

After many hours, the compilation and installation finished.  I tested gcc on a "Hello world" C program - no problems there.  But when I tried g++, I got this:

> /home/gawhite/gcc/bin/g++ /tmp/test.cc
ld: fatal: library -lstdc++: not found
ld: fatal: File processing errors. No output written to a.out
collect2: ld returned 1 exit status

I'm not really much of a C/C++ programmer, but I seem to recall that this indicates g++ is looking for, and not finding, a file
called "libstdc++.a" or "libstdc++.so".  At any rate, the only "lib*" files I could find in /home/gawhite/gcc were:

/home/gawhite/gcc/lib/gcc-lib/sparc-sun-solaris2.6/2.95/libgcc.a /home/gawhite/gcc/lib/libiberty.a
/home/gawhite/gcc/include/g++-3/libio.h
/home/gawhite/gcc/include/g++-3/libioP.h

Now, I see that in /tmp/gcc-2.95, there ARE a number of "lib*" directories:

/tmp/gcc-2.95/libchill/
/tmp/gcc-2.95/libf2c/
/tmp/gcc-2.95/libiberty/
/tmp/gcc-2.95/libio/
/tmp/gcc-2.95/libobjc/
/tmp/gcc-2.95/libstdc++/

but in /tmp/gccobj, there are only these:

/tmp/gccobj/gcc
/tmp/gccobj/libiberty
/tmp/gccobj/libio

so it seems that the libstdc++ (and maybe other) libraries I need are never being built and/or installed.

I didn't THINK I had to specify which languages I wanted to use when I ran the "configure" command - the docs indicate that if I don't specify the "--enable_languages" flag, that "all languages available in the gcc sub-tree will be configured."

So where did I go wrong?

Thanks to anyone who can help!

Before you buy.