* newbie question
@ 2001-01-10 23:22 Craig Cowen
From: Craig Cowen @ 2001-01-10 23:22 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gcc

I am going over a beginners book on ANSI C and it references a header
file conio.h and a function getche().
The function is suppose to get one character and force a return.
How can I use this with gcc or how can I get the same functionality.

uname -a
FreeBSD athlon 4.1.1-RELEASE FreeBSD 4.1.1-RELEASE #14: Fri Nov 24
19:36:27 GMT

cc -v
sing builtin specs.
gcc version 2.95.2 19991024 (release)

Thanks

* Re: newbie question
@ 2001-01-10 23:24 ` Lawrence W. Leung
From: Lawrence W. Leung @ 2001-01-10 23:24 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Craig Cowen; +Cc: help-gcc

I believe conio.h is a dos/windows specific header.

-Larry

On Wed, 10 Jan 2001, Craig Cowen wrote:

> I am going over a beginners book on ANSI C and it references a header
> file conio.h and a function getche().
> The function is suppose to get one character and force a return.
> How can I use this with gcc or how can I get the same functionality.
>
> uname -a
> FreeBSD athlon 4.1.1-RELEASE FreeBSD 4.1.1-RELEASE #14: Fri Nov 24
> 19:36:27 GMT
>
> cc -v
> sing builtin specs.
> gcc version 2.95.2 19991024 (release)
>
> Thanks

* RE: newbie question
@ 2001-01-10 23:32 ` Puneet Singhal
From: Puneet Singhal @ 2001-01-10 23:32 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Craig Cowen, help-gcc

try using getch instead of getche
use the foll command for compiling
  cc  [ flag ... ] file ... -lcurses [ library ... ]

and in the code incl the foll
#include <curses.h>

int getch(void);

:) I am going over a beginners book on ANSI C and it references a header
:) file conio.h and a function getche().
:) The function is suppose to get one character and force a return.
:) How can I use this with gcc or how can I get the same functionality.
:)

@ 2007-07-06 20:10 Leonardo Santagostini
From: Leonardo Santagostini @ 2007-07-06 20:10 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: gcc-help

Hi all,
Im having a problem running a made in home application that uses postgresql
As im a newbie im asking for some guidelines.

Anybody can help me ?

Thanks
Leonardo

PS: This is the fault

RGPVISAServer[9104]: segfault at 0000000000000028 rip 000000329e23464e
rsp 0000000045000d40 error 4
RGPVISAServer[28775]: segfault at 0000000000000108 rip
000000329e244591 rsp 00000000450011a0 error 4
RGPVISAServer[15006]: segfault at 00000000000000c8 rip
000000329e244591 rsp 00000000431fe1a0 error 4
RGPVISAServer[3419]: segfault at 000000329b320085 rip 000000329e236634
rsp 0000000043bff1b8 error 4
RGPVISAServer[24107]: segfault at 0000000000000028 rip
000000329e256fae rsp 00000000431fe190 error 4

* Re: Newbie question
@ 2007-05-26  8:54 ` Matthew Woehlke
From: Matthew Woehlke @ 2007-05-26  8:54 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: gcc-help

Takatsugu Kobayashi wrote:
> I migrated from windows to Fedora6 linux a few months ago, and am still
> learning to make the best out of this fantastic OS....

Welcome aboard!

> I just installed GSL for my statistical research, but I installed it on
> a different folder than the one I wa supposed to. I should have
> installed /usr/include directory rather than /usr/local/include. So I
> should specify the path to this usr/local/inlcude/gsl everytime I run
> C/C++.

I wouldn't recommend that... packages put things in /usr, whereas things
you built yourself default to /usr/local unless told otherwise. Keeping
this separation has two positive effects: you can tell what is
source-built and what isn't, and updating packages doesn't nuke things
that have been source-built (ok, possibly a disadvantage, but more
predictable).

> This is very simple newbie question, but how to specify the path in the
> process of ./configure, make, make install etc? I could just copy and
> paste all the files in the gsl directory in /usr/local/include to
> /usr/include by the chmod command....

/usr/local/include should be searched by default, you should never have
to specify it. If the problem is the 'gsl' you could create symlinks in
/usr/local/include (or even /usr/include) to /usr/local/include/gsl/*,
but I wouldn't copy/move files.

--
Matthew
"Still the prettiest." -- Legolas

* Re: Newbie question
@ 2007-05-25 21:12 ` Artūras Moskvinas
From: Artūras Moskvinas @ 2007-05-25 21:12 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Takatsugu Kobayashi; +Cc: gcc-help

Takatsugu Kobayashi wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I migrated from windows to Fedora6 linux a few months ago, and am still
> learning to make the best out of this fantastic OS....
>
> I just installed GSL for my statistical research, but I installed it on
> a different folder than the one I wa supposed to. I should have
> installed /usr/include directory rather than /usr/local/include. So I
> should specify the path to this usr/local/inlcude/gsl everytime I run
> C/C++.
>
> This is very simple newbie question, but how to specify the path in the
> process of ./configure, make, make install etc? I could just copy and
> paste all the files in the gsl directory in /usr/local/include to
> /usr/include by the chmod command....

Hi,

Very often (almost always) you can specify --prefix
./configure --prefix=/usr/

And all files will be written to /usr/include /usr/lib and etc, not
under /usr/local/

However there is a gsl package in FC6 repository try "yum install gsl"
and "yum install gsl-devel".

Arturas M.

* re: Newbie question
@ 2007-05-25 19:32 Takatsugu Kobayashi
From: Takatsugu Kobayashi @ 2007-05-25 19:32 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: gcc-help

Hi,

I migrated from windows to Fedora6 linux a few months ago, and am still
learning to make the best out of this fantastic OS....

I just installed GSL for my statistical research, but I installed it on
a different folder than the one I wa supposed to. I should have
installed /usr/include directory rather than /usr/local/include. So I
should specify the path to this usr/local/inlcude/gsl everytime I run
C/C++.

This is very simple newbie question, but how to specify the path in the
process of ./configure, make, make install etc? I could just copy and
paste all the files in the gsl directory in /usr/local/include to
/usr/include by the chmod command....

I appreciate your help.

Thanks

Taka

* RE: newbie question
       [not found] <616BE6A276E3714788D2AC35C40CD18D3F27FE@whale.softwire.co.uk>
@ 2002-02-08  1:14 ` Rupert Wood
From: Rupert Wood @ 2002-02-08  1:14 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 'M.A-R. Abdullah'; +Cc: gcc-help

M.A-R. Abdullah wrote:

> I have the following code but the problem is that the screen is
> cleared when getch() is called. How can this be resolved?

I've never had much luck with curses myself, but:

>   printf("This statement doesn't seem to get printed");

to get this to print, you probably have to

    fflush(stdout);

since io is usually buffered until a newline. (On the other hand, I've
no idea if curses intercepts stdio to do its own thing.)

Sorry that's not much help,
Rup.

* newbie question
@ 2002-02-07 16:47 M.A-R. Abdullah
From: M.A-R. Abdullah @ 2002-02-07 16:47 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: gcc-help

Hi
I'mhaving problems trying to use getch(). In short, what is the simplest
way to use this. I have the following code but the problem is that the
screen is cleared when getch() is called. How can this be resolved?
(I am typing the program in, please excuse spelling errors, the original
does compile)

#include <stdio.h>
#include<curses.h>

int main(void)
{
  int i;
  WINDOW *win=NULL;

  win=initscr();

  cbreak();
  i=nodelay(win, 0);

  printf("This statement doesn't seem to get printed");

  i=getch();
  printf("This char is %c\n\r", i);
  printf("This statement is printed");

  endwin();
  return 0;
}

Thanks

MA

* RE: newbie question
@ 2001-03-14 10:16 David Korn
From: David Korn @ 2001-03-14 10:16 UTC (permalink / raw)
From: Stagner, Robert @ 2001-03-14  9:16 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 'gcc-help@gcc.gnu.org'

Hello,

i'm running RedHat 7.0 and would like to install gcc 2.95.2.  however, since
i have never installed gcc from source before, and as mr. alexandre oliva
mentioned on this forum not so long ago (Jan 18, 2001):

begin included e-mail:
--------------------------------

On Jan 18, 2001, "Roland Schwarz" <roland.schwarz@chello.at> wrote:

> After struggeling araound for a while, I learned that the newest glibc 2.2
> cannot be used with gcc 2.95.2 due
> to an incompatibility in indsteam, filepos, streampos.

There are patches in the GCC platform-specific installation notes that
correct this compatibility issue.

--
Alexandre Oliva

end included e-mail

how does one apply the patch to gcc ?  i've downloaded both the source for
gcc and the patch file from the gcc web-site, but the patch file is simply a
text file with references to code.

any assistance would be appreciated.