* need help
@ 2000-05-02  9:31 Claudiu BRASOVEAN
From: Claudiu BRASOVEAN @ 2000-05-02  9:31 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: gcc-help

Hello....
Please excuse my childish question but I am new in the field and I am
lost due to a very simple problem.
Here is my problem:
Main program:
//main.c
#include <stdio.h>
#include "funct.h"
void main(void){

printf("Calling external function\n");

foo(3);

}
////////////////////
//funct.h
extern void foo(int);
////////////////////
//funct.c
#include <stdio.h>
#include "funct.h"
void foo(int x){printf("My parameter was:%d\n",x);};
Here is what i get from gcc (in fact is ld, isn't it?)
/tmp/ccahK6eu1.o: In function `main':
/tmp/ccahK6eu1.o(.text+0x29): undefined reference to `foo'
I do not understand why ld can not resolve symbol. The compiling phase
works fine
I do have a SuSE 6.3 Linux distribution whith gcc-2.7.2.3-63 on it.
Thank you in advance.

* Re: need help
@ 2000-05-02 10:00 ` llewelly
From: llewelly @ 2000-05-02 10:00 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Claudiu BRASOVEAN; +Cc: gcc-help

On Tue, 2 May 2000, Claudiu BRASOVEAN wrote:

> Hello....
>
> Please excuse my childish question but I am new in the field and I am lost due to a very simple problem.

Please note that this list is for questions specific to gcc; your question
is a general C question that is not specific to gcc.

> Here is my problem:
> Main program:
> //main.c
> #include <stdio.h>
> #include "funct.h"
>
>  void main(void){

Note: the return type of main() should always be 'int'.

>  printf("Calling external function\n");
>
>  foo(3);
>
>  }
> ////////////////////
> //funct.h
> extern void foo(int);
>
> ////////////////////
> //funct.c
> #include <stdio.h>
> #include "funct.h"
> void foo(int x){printf("My parameter was:%d\n",x);};
> Here is what i get from gcc (in fact is ld, isn't it?)
>
> /tmp/ccahK6eu1.o: In function `main':
> /tmp/ccahK6eu1.o(.text+0x29): undefined reference to `foo'

Did you link funct.c with main.c ?

You need to do something like this:
$gcc funct.c main.c
$./a.out

or:

$gcc -c funct.c
$gcc -c main.c
$gcc funct.o main.o
$./a.out

If I compile and link it this way, your code works fine on my
  i686-linux-pc-gnu box with gcc 2.95.2

> I do not understand why ld can not resolve symbol.

ld can only resolve what it can see. If you do not pass it the name of the
  module, it will know to look in that module for functions.

> The compiling phase works fine
> I do have a SuSE 6.3 Linux distribution whith gcc-2.7.2.3-63 on it.
>
> Thank you in advance.

* Re: need help
@ 2007-06-07 14:53 ` Ian Lance Taylor
From: Ian Lance Taylor @ 2007-06-07 14:53 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ASHA GOWDA; +Cc: gcc-help

ASHA GOWDA <gowda_asha2k@yahoo.com> writes:

> Where can I find the GCC test plan...or test strategy.

Go to http://gcc.gnu.org/.  Look over on the right hand side.  Click
on the link labelled "Testing".

Ian

* need help
@ 2007-06-07 12:23 ASHA GOWDA
From: ASHA GOWDA @ 2007-06-07 12:23 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: gcc-help

Hi,

Where can I find the GCC test plan...or test strategy.

Thanks in Advance,

http://autos.yahoo.com/green_center/

* need help.......
@ 2005-03-21  8:54 arul kumaran
From: arul kumaran @ 2005-03-21  8:54 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: gcc-help

Hi,
         I am Arul Kumaran, a student from India. I
went through the instruction scheduling pass of the
GNU Compiler Collection(GCC 3.4.3 core). I tried to
get the instruction UID( I suppose it is the macro
INSN_UID(insn)) and the UIDs of other instructions on
which this instruction is dependent on, using the
macros LOG_LINKS or INSN_DEPEND in a basic block
before instruction scheduling. The dependencies I
expect is the data dependency. I used the following
code to do this:

basic_block b;
rtx instr;

FOR_EACH_BB(b)
        for(instr=BB_HEAD(b);;instr=NEXT_INSN(instr))
        {
                if(instr == BB_END(b))
                        break;

printf("<<<<%d>>>>\n",INSN_UID(instr));
        }

     I inserted this code in the file "sched-rgn.c" in
the function "schedule_region(int rgn)" as shown
below:

/* Compute LOG_LINKS.  */
  for (bb = 0; bb < current_nr_blocks; bb++)
    compute_block_backward_dependences (bb);

/* This is the inserted code shown above */
FOR_EACH_BB(b)
        for(instr=BB_HEAD(b);;instr=NEXT_INSN(instr))
        {
                if(instr == BB_END(b))
                        break;

printf("<<<<%d>>>>\n",INSN_UID(instr));
        }
/* end of the code */

  /* Compute INSN_DEPEND.  */
  for (bb = current_nr_blocks - 1; bb >= 0; bb--)
    {
      rtx head, tail;
      get_block_head_tail (BB...........

         When I compile the GCC using "make", I found
the instruction IDs are printed!! But when I compiled
my other test programs using the xgcc in the objdir directory, I did
not get the UIDs of the instructions. So, please suggest a way to get
the instruction UID of an instruction in that basic block and the UIDs
of other instructions on which this instruction is dependent on
in the same basic block. It will be of great use if
you suggest a way.
                                            Thanks,
                                             Arul

* need help
@ 2005-02-08 12:19 Vijayalakshmic
From: Vijayalakshmic @ 2005-02-08 12:19 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: gcc-help

hello sir/madam,

     I got your Id from net.so mailed.I have one set of library built on gcc
  3.2.3 and another set of library built on gcc 3.0,now I am trying to use
  both library with an application but I am not able to compile the
  application.So why its happening, I donno and  what is the solution for
  it, please help me.If I need to download some patches ,please tell me wot
are those
  patches.please kindly help me.

Thanks in advance.
--Vijaya

* Re: Need Help.
@ 2004-10-13  7:16 ` Muthukumar Ratty
From: Muthukumar Ratty @ 2004-10-13  7:16 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Sriharsha Vedurmudi; +Cc: gcc

> My gcc (the one I use for Linux running on AMD Athelon XP 2400) is as below:
>
> bash-2.05b$ gcc -v
> Reading specs from /usr/lib/gcc-lib/i386-redhat-linux/3.2/specs
> Configured with: ../configure --prefix=/usr --mandir=/usr/share/man
> --infodir=/usr/share/info --enable-shared --enable-threads=posix
> --disable-checking --host=i386-redhat-linux --with-system-zlib
> --enable-__cxa_atexit
> Thread model: posix
> gcc version 3.2 20020903 (Red Hat Linux 8.0 3.2-7)
> bash-2.05b$
>
> When I want to shift to the new ported gcc (whose output I currently use
> with a simulator in GDB), I use this shell script:
>
> bash-2.05b$ cat setup
> echo "=============================================="
> echo "Setting Environment for GCC compiler for RPINE"
> echo "=============================================="
> export GCC_EXEC_PREFIX=/opt/GNUPlus/rpine/lib/gcc-lib/
> export PATH=${GCC_EXEC_PREFIX}/rpine-elf32/3.3:$PATH
> export PATH=/opt/GNUPlus/rpine/rpine-elf32/bin:$PATH
> export PATH=/opt/GNUPlus/rpine/bin/:$PATH
> export LD_LIBRARY_PATH=/opt/GNUPlus/rpine/lib/gdb:${LD_LIBRARY_PATH}
>
> bash-2.05b$source ./setup
>
> That last one was the command I am to give to use the ported gcc instead
> of the regular one. The version of this ported gcc is:
> bash-2.05b$ source ./setup
> Setting Environment for GCC compiler for RPINE
> bash-2.05b$ gcc -v
> Reading specs from /opt/GNUPlus/rpine/lib/gcc-lib/rpine-elf32/3.3/specs
> Configured with:
> /mnt/vsdc416/sankhya/PS/l2333/src/views/support_release-1/gnu/gcc-3.3/configure
> --prefix=/opt/GNUPlus/rpine --target=rpine-elf32 --enable-languages=c
> --with-gnu-as --with-gnu-ld --without-newlib --host=i686-pc-linux-gnu
> --with-dwarf2
> Thread model: single
> gcc version 3.3 20040831 (rpine_support_release-1.0)
> bash-2.05b$
>
> Now, I guess, you have a picture of what is going on. I have two
> versions of Gcc installed in my system and depending on which target I
> am compiling for, I change the path so that, that gcc version is used.

Its not a good idea to use two different gccs with same name but
for different targets (and changing the paths). You should be having a
"rpine-elf32-gcc" also (if things were done properly). Use that one and
life would be less confusing :)

> When I configure and make deja, the path is ofcourse for the
> AMD-Linux-targetted gcc. But I want to test our "rpine" gcc with this
> installation of deja (I hope I am not confusing you). How do I do this?

But you did :)

Simple law for mailing lists

"Chance of getting a reply increases exponentially with the clarity
of problem statement"

>  From my side, I went through Deja site and read all that was written
> (at some point it was even suggested that I create a separate user for
> the purpose) and all that confused me like hell. Can someone explain the
> following in simpler terms.
> 1. How to run the test suite on a cross-compiler that co-exists with a
> native installation? (Refer above to the setup).
> 2. How to add/delete tests to this suite? (Also, I couldnt see any
> test-case programs with it)
> 3. How do I obtain/store results?
>
> I've done much searching, but all that left me more confused.
>
> Kind regards,
> Harsha.

* Need Help.
@ 2004-10-11 17:50 Sriharsha Vedurmudi
From: Sriharsha Vedurmudi @ 2004-10-11 17:50 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: gcc

Hello Group,

    I need some help with Deja Gnu for testing a ported version of gcc
for a custom processor. I have downloaded Deja and untarred it into a
directory.
I then ran

./configure
make
make install

as specified in the INSTALL file. So, now Im sure it got installed well.
But how do I run it to verify the custom version of gcc.

[...]

 From my side, I went through Deja site and read all that was written

--
 *****************************
 * Sriharsha Vedurmudi

* Re: need help
@ 2003-10-01  6:10 ` Jeffrey Holle
From: Jeffrey Holle @ 2003-10-01  6:10 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: gcc-help

gcc can be downloaded from "http://gcc.gnu.org/releases.html".

However, both gcc and samba should be available via an rpm for your RH
Linux system.  I recommend getting it from your installation cds.

If this option isn't available a samba rpm of various versions is
available at:
"http://us2.samba.org/samba/ftp/Binary_Packages/RedHat/RPMS/i386/"

cro@digitelone.com wrote:
> Hi,
>
> My name is Oliver, first time i installed Red Hat Linux on
> my computer and wants to install Samba also at the same
> time. I always encountered this problem of compiling it. So
> i decided to download gcc from any of your mirrored sites.
> However, it looks like im so unlucky to download it
> successfully everytime i attempt to.
>
> Is there anywar you could help me with my problem? I've
> been so frustrated now of which site in the internet i can
> find a good download for gcc.
>
> Thanks,
>
> Oliver

* need help
@ 2003-10-01  5:23 cro
From: cro @ 2003-10-01  5:23 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: gcc-help

Hi,

My name is Oliver, first time i installed Red Hat Linux on
my computer and wants to install Samba also at the same
time. I always encountered this problem of compiling it. So
i decided to download gcc from any of your mirrored sites.
However, it looks like im so unlucky to download it
successfully everytime i attempt to.

Is there anywar you could help me with my problem? I've
been so frustrated now of which site in the internet i can
find a good download for gcc.

Thanks,

Oliver

* RE: need help
@ 2003-09-26 11:34 ` Jon Beniston
From: Jon Beniston @ 2003-09-26 11:34 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 'Eitan', gcc, gcc-help

> 2. I get an annoying warning message - "warning: too many
> arguments for format". What does it mean?

Probably that you're doing something like

printf("%s %d\n", name, age, address);

i.e. there are more arguments than there are %'s.

> 3. Good programing parctice - If I have a static global
> variable, that is defined in one file, but not used in it -
> why is it a bad thing (I get a warning)?

Static variables (and functions) are not visible to other files. So if
they're not referenced in the file in which they are defined, then they
may as well not exist.

Cheers,
Jon

* need help
@ 2003-09-26 11:28 Eitan
From: Eitan @ 2003-09-26 11:28 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: gcc, gcc-help

Hello

I have several questions:

1. Is there a list of known warnings and errors generated from the GCC on
the web? I mean a list that would shortly explain the reason for it.
Something like MSDN  - heaven forbids!!!   :-).

2. I get an annoying warning message - "warning: too many arguments for
format". What does it mean?

3. Good programing parctice - If I have a static global variable, that is
defined in one file, but not used in it - why is it a bad thing (I get a
warning)?

Thanks a lot and have a good weekend
Eitan Gur

* Re: need help
@ 2003-07-09 18:42 ` LLeweLLyn Reese
From: LLeweLLyn Reese @ 2003-07-09 18:42 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: V Robert; +Cc: gcc-help

"V  Robert" <v_r_robert@rediffmail.com> writes:

> Hi
>     I'm porting GCC for a 16-bit target (i.e. the register size and
> memory operands are 16-bit). In the target header file, I've given
> #define INT_TYPE_SIZE 16
> #define LONG_TYPE_SIZE 16, etc
>
> My issue is that, for immediate operands greater than 16-bits, my
> ported compiler is giving "DImode" i.e. 8 bytes.
>
> For example, the below C statement
>
> int i=sizeof(0x10000);
>
> produces assembly which assigns 8 to i. BUT, i'm expecting 2 to be
> assigned for i. What should I do to make my ported compiler treat
> immediate values greater than 16-bits as HImode operand?
[snip]

I think you should re post this on gcc at gcc.gnu.org, where you are
    likely to get better feedback on this sort of problem.

* need help
@ 2003-07-08 16:16 V  Robert
From: V  Robert @ 2003-07-08 16:16 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: gcc-help

Hi
    I'm porting GCC for a 16-bit target (i.e. the register size
and memory operands are 16-bit). In the target header file, I've
given
#define INT_TYPE_SIZE 16
#define LONG_TYPE_SIZE 16, etc

My issue is that, for immediate operands greater than 16-bits, my
ported compiler is giving "DImode" i.e. 8 bytes.

For example, the below C statement

int i=sizeof(0x10000);

produces assembly which assigns 8 to i. BUT, i'm expecting 2 to be
assigned for i. What should I do to make my ported compiler treat
immediate values greater than 16-bits as HImode operand?

with regards
robert

Click below to experience Sooraj Barjatya's latest offering
'Main Prem Ki Diwani Hoon' starring Hrithik Roshan,
Abhishek Bachchan & Kareena Kapoor http://www.mpkdh.com

* Re: need help
@ 2002-08-19 15:29     ` bjorn rohde jensen
From: bjorn rohde jensen @ 2002-08-19 15:29 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Oscar Fuentes; +Cc: gcc-help

Hi Oscar,

  You are right, i guess. gcc does depend on
certain libraries such as libc being present
to even build. I guess, you can use different
libc libraries. Quite interesting.

Yours sincerely,

Bjorn

* Re: need help
@ 2002-08-19 14:56   ` Oscar Fuentes
From: Oscar Fuentes @ 2002-08-19 14:56 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: gcc-help

bjorn rohde jensen <bjensen@fastmail.fm> writes:

> Hi Kitti,
>
>  gcc has the full posix C libries and access to
> the system libraries on the host, it is installed
> on.

I thought that, if gcc has the posix libraries, it's because they are
available on the host system.

I work with gcc on two systems where there are no posix libraries.

[snip]

--
Oscar

* Re: need help
@ 2002-08-19 12:02 ` bjorn rohde jensen
From: bjorn rohde jensen @ 2002-08-19 12:02 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Kitti Kittirutsunetorn; +Cc: gcc-help

Hi Kitti,

 gcc has the full posix C libries and access to
the system libraries on the host, it is installed
on. I would recommend looking at system and some
sort of posix manuals.

Yours sincerely,

Bjorn

* need help
@ 2002-08-19 10:07 Kitti Kittirutsunetorn
From: Kitti Kittirutsunetorn @ 2002-08-19 10:07 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: gcc-help

Hi:
    I am new to  GCC.   I am looking for complete listing of library
functions in GCC (for example: sprint.)     Can you tell me where are these
functions? and what is the header file name? (including the documentation,
please ).
Thank you very much
Kitti

* Re: Need help
@ 2001-07-01 22:30 Martin Kalen
From: Martin Kalen @ 2001-07-01 22:30 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: gcc-help

From: Parameshwari B. @ 2001-07-01 22:02 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Jules FOSSO, gcc-help

Hi,
        Try using g++ test.cpp or c++ test.cpp  .

-Rgds,
Param
Jules FOSSO wrote:

> Hi!
> I've installed gcc on my computer and i can't get my c++   programms gompiled.
> The source file is called "test.cpp". What command line(s) should i give on the bash in oder to have an executable programm? I've tried gcc  test.cpp   and gcc -c  test.cpp and other possibilities whithout succes.
> Thanks
> Jules Fosso
> http://firemail.fireball.de - Ihr Briefkasten im Web.
> Einfach, schnell, sicher.

* Need help
@ 2001-07-01 14:42 Jules FOSSO
From: Jules FOSSO @ 2001-07-01 14:42 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: gcc-help

@ 1999-11-30 23:28 ` Powell, Sandy
From: Powell, Sandy @ 1999-11-30 23:28 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 'help-gcc@gnu.org'

I need some help locating some software engineers who might be willing to
relocate to Atlanta and work for a company that is offering a
competitve/attractive salary along with stock options (pre-IPO).  They need
one or more engineers who have worked with GDB internals (debugging) and/or
GCC internals (compiling).  They might consider an individual who has lots
of experience with just compiler internals and/or compiler debuggers.  Also,
they would prefer a  fair amount of professional experience rather just
school project experience.  If you know of anyone out in the GNU world with
these skill sets, please let me know.

Sandy Powell
(404)233-0925
spowell@dmsr.com