* My first mail to the list =)
@ 2000-05-17  7:30 Stuart Fuller
From: Stuart Fuller @ 2000-05-17  7:30 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 'gcc-help@gcc.gnu.org'

(I hope this is the right group for gdb aswell!!)

Hi, I'm new to egcs and gdb and I have a problem.
I'm using an SGI Octane runng Irix 6.5.5
I have installed egcs and gdb from tardists off of
the SGI freeware page.
I have a small test program (crash.c) which will crash when
executed:

#include "stdio.h"

void main()
{

	int array[50], i;

	for( i = 0; i < 100; i++ )
	array[i] = i;
}

I compile this using 'egcs -o crash crash.c"
When I run it it crashes (!!!!) which is okay,
however when I do 'gdb crash'
followed by a 'run'
I get the message:
(gdb) run
Starting program: /usr/people/stuart/workbench/crash

0x10001118 in __start ()
    at /xlv55/kudzu-apr12/work/irix/lib/libc/libc_n32_M3/csu/crt1text.s:179
179     /xlv55/kudzu-apr12/work/irix/lib/libc/libc_n32_M3/csu/crt1text.s: No
such file or directory.
Current language:  auto; currently asm

Does anyone know what the hell crt1text is?
I have tried changin the crash program to not crash and running that
through gdb and it's fine.

Help!!

Stuart Fuller

This e-mail is intended for the person it is addressed to only. The
information contained in it may be confidential and/or protected by
law. If you are not the intended recipient of this message, you must
not make any use of this information, or copy or show it to any
person. Please contact us immediately to tell us that you have
received this e-mail, and return the original to us. Any use,
forwarding, printing or copying of this message is strictly prohibited.

No part of this message can be considered a request for goods or
services.
Any questions about Bookham's E-Mail service should be directed to postmaster@bookham.com.

* Re: My first mail to the list =)
@ 2000-05-17  8:08 ` llewelly
From: llewelly @ 2000-05-17  8:08 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Stuart Fuller; +Cc: 'gcc-help@gcc.gnu.org'

On Wed, 17 May 2000, Stuart Fuller wrote:

> (I hope this is the right group for gdb aswell!!)

bug-gdb@gnu.org
is the gdb mailing list

> Hi, I'm new to egcs and gdb and I have a problem.
> I'm using an SGI Octane runng Irix 6.5.5
> I have installed egcs and gdb from tardists off of
> the SGI freeware page.
> I have a small test program (crash.c) which will crash when
> executed:
>
> #include "stdio.h"
>
> void main()
> {
>
> 	int array[50], i;
>
> 	for( i = 0; i < 100; i++ )
> 	array[i] = i;
> }
>
> I compile this using 'egcs -o crash crash.c"

When you are planning to debug a program, you should compile with -g,
  which tells the compiler to include debugging symbols, which the
  debugger requires.

> When I run it it crashes (!!!!) which is okay,
> however when I do 'gdb crash'
> followed by a 'run'
> I get the message:
> (gdb) run
> Starting program: /usr/people/stuart/workbench/crash

> 0x10001118 in __start ()
>     at /xlv55/kudzu-apr12/work/irix/lib/libc/libc_n32_M3/csu/crt1text.s:179
> 179     /xlv55/kudzu-apr12/work/irix/lib/libc/libc_n32_M3/csu/crt1text.s: No
> such file or directory.
> Current language:  auto; currently asm

I believe gdb is failing to find the source file(s) for your program
  becuase the executable was not compiled with -g .