* RE: gcc3.4.0 install problem
@ 2004-09-16 23:51 lrtaylor
                   ` (2 more replies)
From: lrtaylor @ 2004-09-16 23:51 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: muthu, gbras; +Cc: virenk, gcc-help

The docs say this:

	For a native build issue the command make bootstrap.

So, it sounds to me like, unless you are building a cross compiler,
"make bootstrap" is indeed the correct command to use when building GCC,
even if you already have another version of it on your system.

Thanks,
Lyle

From: Buck-C @ 2004-09-17  0:21 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: gcc-help

A friend of mine that has a fair amount of C programming experience and I,
who has no experience in programming in C, are looking for a common compiler
on which he can program and I can learn to program in C (and all variations,
C++ etc.)  I am familiar with the Microsoft Visual methods of programming in
various languages and applications.  Primarily I would like to learn and use
the C compiler/GUI on Windows, but I would like to think that what I learn
can carry over to the Linux box as well, should I decide to program in
Linux.  From what I understand, GCC and its various libraries are available
for Windows.  Neither of us has ever worked with GCC and know nothing about
it.  Below are several questions.  Thank you all in advance for your
patience and answers.

From where do I download GCC for Windows in a usable format?
I followed the GCC website but got lost somewhere.  I think I found it
somewhere in .HZ format but I have no way to unzip it.

Does GCC or any other freely licensed version have a GUI interface such as
MS Visual C?

Is GCC a good compiler on which to learn C?

What all do I need to download and install to have a complete and usable
compiler?

What don't I know to ask?

Thank you,

Buck

From: Buck-C @ 2004-09-17  0:21 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: gcc-help

A friend of mine that has a fair amount of C programming experience and I,
who has no experience in programming in C, are looking for a common compiler
on which he can program and I can learn to program in C (and all variations,
C++ etc.)  I am familiar with the Microsoft Visual methods of programming in
various languages and applications.  Primarily I would like to learn and use
the C compiler/GUI on Windows, but I would like to think that what I learn
can carry over to the Linux box as well, should I decide to program in
Linux.  From what I understand, GCC and its various libraries are available
for Windows.  Neither of us has ever worked with GCC and know nothing about
it.  Below are several questions.  Thank you all in advance for your
patience and answers.

From where do I download GCC for Windows in a usable format?

@ 2004-09-17  0:29 ` Muthukumar Ratty
From: Muthukumar Ratty @ 2004-09-17  0:29 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: lrtaylor; +Cc: muthu, gbras, virenk, gcc-help

> The docs say this:
>
> 	For a native build issue the command make bootstrap.

Yeah, saw that. I am not a gcc developer.. so dont know what is the
difference between bootstrap and without. All I can say is
"it worked for me for 3.2.2 (tm)" :)

* RE: gcc3.4.0 install problem
@ 2004-09-17  0:47   ` Muthukumar Ratty
From: Muthukumar Ratty @ 2004-09-17  0:47 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Muthukumar Ratty; +Cc: lrtaylor, gbras, virenk, gcc-help

Got a bit curious and pulled gcc3.4.2. It seems to work :)

[muthu@Sakthi bin]$ pwd
/devel/gcc3.4.2/out/bin
[muthu@Sakthi bin]$ ./gcc -v hello.c
Reading specs from
/devel/gcc3.4.2/out/lib/gcc/i686-pc-linux-gnu/3.4.2/specs
Configured with: ../gcc/configure --prefix=/devel/gcc3.4.2/out
--enable-languages=c,c++
Thread model: posix
gcc version 3.4.2
 /devel/gcc3.4.2/out/libexec/gcc/i686-pc-linux-gnu/3.4.2/cc1 -quiet -v
hello.c -quiet -dumpbase hello.c -mtune=pentiumpro -auxbase hello -version
-o /tmp/ccnvxcQo.s
ignoring nonexistent directory
"/devel/gcc3.4.2/out/lib/gcc/i686-pc-linux-gnu/3.4.2/../../../../i686-pc-linux-gnu/include"
#include "..." search starts here:
#include <...> search starts here:
 /usr/local/include
 /devel/gcc3.4.2/out/include
 /devel/gcc3.4.2/out/lib/gcc/i686-pc-linux-gnu/3.4.2/include
 /usr/include
End of search list.
GNU C version 3.4.2 (i686-pc-linux-gnu)
        compiled by GNU C version 3.2.2 20030222 (Red Hat Linux 3.2.2-5).
GGC heuristics: --param ggc-min-expand=47 --param ggc-min-heapsize=31947
 as -V -Qy -o /tmp/ccI0HQzF.o /tmp/ccnvxcQo.s
GNU assembler version 2.13.90.0.18 (i386-redhat-linux) using BFD version
2.13.90.0.18 20030206
 /devel/gcc3.4.2/out/libexec/gcc/i686-pc-linux-gnu/3.4.2/collect2
--eh-frame-hdr -m elf_i386 -dynamic-linker /lib/ld-linux.so.2
/usr/lib/crt1.o /usr/lib/crti.o
/devel/gcc3.4.2/out/lib/gcc/i686-pc-linux-gnu/3.4.2/crtbegin.o
-L/devel/gcc3.4.2/out/lib/gcc/i686-pc-linux-gnu/3.4.2
-L/devel/gcc3.4.2/out/lib/gcc/i686-pc-linux-gnu/3.4.2/../../..
/tmp/ccI0HQzF.o -lgcc -lgcc_eh -lc -lgcc -lgcc_eh
/devel/gcc3.4.2/out/lib/gcc/i686-pc-linux-gnu/3.4.2/crtend.o
/usr/lib/crtn.o
[muthu@Sakthi bin]$ ./a.out
Hello world
[muthu@Sakthi bin]$

On Thu, 16 Sep 2004, Muthukumar Ratty wrote:

> > The docs say this:
> >
> > 	For a native build issue the command make bootstrap.
> >

> Yeah, saw that. I am not a gcc developer.. so dont know what is the
> difference between bootstrap and without. All I can say is
> "it worked for me for 3.2.2 (tm)" :)
>

> > So, it sounds to me like, unless you are building a cross compiler,
> > "make bootstrap" is indeed the correct command to use when building GCC,
> > even if you already have another version of it on your system.
> >
> > Thanks,
> > Lyle

* RE: gcc3.4.0 install problem
@ 2004-09-17  5:21     ` Muthukumar Ratty
From: Muthukumar Ratty @ 2004-09-17  5:21 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Muthukumar Ratty; +Cc: lrtaylor, gbras, virenk, gcc-help

And it passed my sanity test too.... it builds a working 2.6.9-rc2-mm1.

* RE: gcc3.4.0 install problem
@ 2004-09-16 23:46 ` Muthukumar Ratty
From: Muthukumar Ratty @ 2004-09-16 23:46 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Bras, Gerard; +Cc: Muthukumar Ratty, Virender Kashyap, GCC HELP

I did this a while ago and my info might have been obsoleted :)
Anyway just to upgrade the gcc with same binutils and stuff hwat I did is,
iirc...

1. configure with necessary option
2. make
3. make install

ofcourse you would want this to install in a different location so it wont
corrupt the pre existing gcc.

On Thu, 16 Sep 2004, Bras, Gerard wrote:

> This raises an interesting question which the install docs have not clarified to my satisfaction.  Suppose you already have a working gcc tool chain and you are doing what the original poster is, getting a later release up.  Are there make targets more suitable for this?  It has always seemed a little odd to me to have to do the bootstrap every time.
>
> gerard

* RE: gcc3.4.0 install problem
@ 2004-09-16 16:44 lrtaylor
From: lrtaylor @ 2004-09-16 16:44 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: virenk, gbras; +Cc: gcc-help

How long did you wait before deciding that it is looping?  The thing is
that when you run make bootstrap, it _does_ do more configuration of
some of the source trees under the main source directory, so this is
expected to an extent.  Not to sound too dubious, but it can take
anywhere from, say, 15 minutes to several hours to build GCC depending
on the machine you're building on.  So, if you waited only a couple
minutes and decided it was looping, I'm not sure you waited long enough
to let it do what it's got to do...

Thanks,
Lyle

From: Virender Kashyap @ 2004-09-16 15:39 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Bras, Gerard; +Cc: GCC HELP

--

@ 2004-09-16 15:29 Bras, Gerard
From: Bras, Gerard @ 2004-09-16 15:29 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Muthukumar Ratty, Virender Kashyap; +Cc: GCC HELP

This raises an interesting question which the install docs have not clarified to my satisfaction.  Suppose you already have a working gcc tool chain and you are doing what the original poster is, getting a later release up.  Are there make targets more suitable for this?  It has always seemed a little odd to me to have to do the bootstrap every time.

gerard

You dont need bootstrap, unless you want to work on gcc itself.

On Thu, 16 Sep 2004, Virender Kashyap wrote:

> hi
>    i am not able to install gcc3.4.0 on my comp.
> i already have gcc3.3 installed on my comp
>
> i do following :
> mkdir objdir
> cd objdir
> ../gcc-source/configure --enable-languages=c,c++
>
> then i do
> make bootstrap
>
> but here i see the same things being repeated (some checking messages)and
> displayed again and again. how many times doess checking happen ?
>

> THanks and Regards.
> Virender
> Virender Kashyap

* RE: gcc3.4.0 install problem
@ 2004-09-16 15:24 Bras, Gerard

@ 2004-09-16 15:03 ` Muthukumar Ratty
From: Muthukumar Ratty @ 2004-09-16 15:03 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Virender Kashyap; +Cc: GCC HELP

You dont need bootstrap, unless you want to work on gcc itself.

On Thu, 16 Sep 2004, Virender Kashyap wrote:

> hi
>    i am not able to install gcc3.4.0 on my comp.
> i already have gcc3.3 installed on my comp
>
> i do following :
> mkdir objdir
> cd objdir
> ../gcc-source/configure --enable-languages=c,c++
>
> then i do
> make bootstrap
>
> but here i see the same things being repeated (some checking messages)and
> displayed again and again. how many times doess checking happen ?
>

> THanks and Regards.
> Virender
> Virender Kashyap

* gcc3.4.0 install problem