* crash in
@ 2002-10-01  7:27 Nir Livni
From: Nir Livni @ 2002-10-01  7:27 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 'gcc-help@gcc.gnu.org'

Hi all.

I am trying to upgrade my project which runs on RH7.0 , to RH7.2

I installed a fresh RH7.2, and tried to run.
I got this crash backtrace:

#0  chunk_alloc (ar_ptr=0x40199620, nb=32776) at malloc.c:3076
#1  0x400e6b47 in __libc_calloc (n=1, elem_size=32768) at malloc.c:3844
#2  0x403107c4 in zcalloc (opaque=0x0, items=1, size=32768)
.
.
.

It happens always. I tried to compile with gcc 2.96, 3.02, and 3.1.
I even tried to take the module which was compiled on RH7.0.
Yet -
same crash.

Any Ideas ?

* Re: crash in
@ 2002-10-01 22:33 ` John Carter
From: John Carter @ 2002-10-01 22:33 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Nir Livni; +Cc: 'gcc-help@gcc.gnu.org'

On Tue, 1 Oct 2002, Nir Livni wrote:

> Hi all.
>
> I am trying to upgrade my project which runs on RH7.0 , to RH7.2
>
> I installed a fresh RH7.2, and tried to run.
> I got this crash backtrace:
>
> #0  chunk_alloc (ar_ptr=0x40199620, nb=32776) at malloc.c:3076
> #1  0x400e6b47 in __libc_calloc (n=1, elem_size=32768) at malloc.c:3844
> #2  0x403107c4 in zcalloc (opaque=0x0, items=1, size=32768)

Probably a wild pointer corrupting your heap.

Don't delay, valgrind today...
  http://developer.kde.org/~sewardj/
Valgrind is a GPL'd tool to help you find memory-management problems in
your programs. When a program is run under Valgrind's supervision, all
reads and writes of memory are checked, and calls to
malloc/new/free/delete are intercepted. As a result, Valgrind can detect
problems such as:

    * Use of uninitialised memory
    * Reading/writing memory after it has been free'd
    * Reading/writing off the end of malloc'd blocks
    * Reading/writing inappropriate areas on the stack
    * Memory leaks -- where pointers to malloc'd blocks are lost forever
    * Passing of uninitialised and/or unaddressible memory to system calls
    * Mismatched use of malloc/new/new [] vs free/delete/delete []
* Some misuses of the POSIX pthreads API

Valgrind tracks each byte of memory in the original program with nine
status bits, one of which tracks addressibility of that byte, while the
other eight track the validity of the byte. As a result, it can detect the
use of single uninitialised bits, and does not report spurious errors on
bitfield operations.

PO Box 1645 Christchurch                Email : john.carter@tait.co.nz
New Zealand

Good Ideas: