* fortran/ada/c code linking issues
@ 2005-09-28 17:18 Brett Grant
From: Brett Grant @ 2005-09-28 17:18 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: gcc-help

I have access to a number of different computer
systems.  Some are Sun Sparc (Solaris 8), some are
Opterons (RHE 4), some are Mac PowerPC (OS X tiger).
All have slightly different versions of gcc, but all
of them are gcc 3.2 or higher, but none are higher
than 4.0.

I will admit that I know enough to get some stuff
done, but some of this stuff is a complete mystery to
me.  Anyway, I have a program that is written in
fortran.  It has some subroutines written in C and in
Ada.  When I compile the program on the Suns, I must
include the flag '-static' in order to get it to
compile and link correctly.  However, on the opterons
and macs, if I include the flag '-static', it will
compile, but not link.  It says that it can't find
some gnat library:

/usr/bin/ld: cannot find -lgnat-3.4
collect2: ld returned 1 exit status
gnatlink: cannot call /usr/bin/gcc

  If I don't give it the static flag, it links
correctly and ldd shows the gnat library.  I don't
understand why in one instance it can find the shared
library, but not when I give it the static flag.  Is
there some sort of different path search order when
-static is used.  I couldn't find any in the
documentation.  I also wonder if gcc is installed
correctly, maybe the libraires didn't end up in some
standard path?

Now I don't ask to link in libgnat-3.4.so.1 so this
must somehow be added in by the call to gnatlink.  If
I include the static flag and -L/usr/lib, which is
where libgnat-3.4.so.1 is located, it still can't find
it.  Now I am really confused.

The sys admins don't really understand this.  I don't
really know enough to figure out how to troubleshoot
this.  I guess that is what I am asking.  How do I
figure out what is really going on?

Is there a better place to ask this question?

Thanks,
Brett Grant

__________________________________
http://mail.yahoo.com

* Re: fortran/ada/c code linking issues
@ 2005-09-28 17:55 ` Ishwar Rattan
From: Ishwar Rattan @ 2005-09-28 17:55 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: gcc-help

On Wed, 28 Sep 2005, Brett Grant wrote:

> done, but some of this stuff is a complete mystery to
> me.  Anyway, I have a program that is written in
> fortran.  It has some subroutines written in C and in
> Ada.  When I compile the program on the Suns, I must
> include the flag '-static' in order to get it to
> compile and link correctly.  However, on the opterons
> and macs, if I include the flag '-static', it will
> compile, but not link.  It says that it can't find
> some gnat library:
>
> /usr/bin/ld: cannot find -lgnat-3.4
> collect2: ld returned 1 exit status
> gnatlink: cannot call /usr/bin/gcc

Maybe you have non-shared object on Solaris for gnatlibrary  and not
on other systems. Static flag implies that .a version of
library exists for linking.

-ishwar